Sponsored by:

WRX is the best says Auto Express

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 02:30 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

says last week's magazine ... and which would have been fine ... if it wasn't for the fact that they put it up against the VW Bora V6 4Motion, the Vauxhall Vectra GSi and the Honda Accord Type R .....

The overall opinion is "that it's a better all rounder now, with breathtaking body control and reasonable ride comfort. But the driving experience is less punchy and intoxicating"

Old 28 November 2000, 02:40 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

The fact it came above the Accord Type-r was a bit of a surprise as I seem to remember it beating the old Scoob fairly recently (not sure if it was in Auto Express though). May have something to do with the standard magazine policy of: well its newer therefore its better.
Not having driven any of them though I don't suppose I can really comment.

I can't be the only one that thinks the new dash (with the tacky silver centre console)is worse than the old one , am I?
Old 28 November 2000, 02:52 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Actually, I found this article quite off-putting...

Firstly, they only managed a 0-60 of 6.4 secs despite multiple tries - which is over a second down on Autocar's assessment of the old model.

Secondly, they only managed a 30-70 of 6.6 seconds - which is (correct me if I'm wrong) nearly a second and a half down on the old model and slower than the Accord Type-R.

It used to be that the scooby was nipping at the heels of cars like the M3 for half the price...now, it's being compared to a Vectra GSi?

I'm disappointed. Subaru have given us a more refined and smoother car with a better standard of interior. But they've also given us a heavier, slower, less exciting car that's just another reasonably quick saloon. Very sad.

[This message has been edited by Oz (edited 28 November 2000).]
Old 29 November 2000, 11:45 PM
malcolm
Scooby Newbie

I Have driven the new WRX and it really does feel slower. Floor the throttle in 2nd Gear 3000 RPM and it feels like an excited Mondeo. I think the 3rd cat & 150Kg extra have taken its toll on acceleration.
Old 30 November 2000, 10:52 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

You guys probably forgot already, but the Impreza already lost back i 1996 to a Mondeo in a comparison of sport saloons,
they said it wasn't refined enough?!
so give it time it will be compared to M3s in the future, in handling tests, and then we will se wich is the better car.
I guess in a short while a prodrive kit will be offered, and the STI is also on the way,
and according to "Autocar" it is possible its the best sports acr to come from Japan!
Old 30 November 2000, 11:08 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Mondeo - sports saloon!!?!?!?!

Surely not!
Old 30 November 2000, 04:53 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes in Performance car, they did this big sports sedan comparison and the '96 Impreza GT came in second after the Mondeo,
the Scoob was faster and handled better but wasn't refined enough, just to show you what journalists know, the car wasn't ment to be more refined than a mondeo!!!!