Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2007, 02:24 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

My pea shooter is coming to the end of its life and I need to replace it.

I don't want something too loud but would like to hear a little bit of a burble.

Do I:

1) Save money and get 2nd hand pea shooter
2) Get a slightly more expensive STi (Will I notice the difference??)
3) Spend a fair bit more and get a Prodrive
4) Go the whole hog and get something like a TSL Group N (Will this be too loud?)

Car is Classic MY00.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:29 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

It depends really. A prodrive does sound nice, but can be a little of the quite side. A catback exhaust - Centre and axel back - will give you that flat 4 burble that subarus are known for. Then it depends on now mad you want to go i.e. loudness.

From what I have heard, the TSL is a loverly exhaust and sounds very nice to.

I am selling a magnex 5" catback exhaust that is in A1 condition.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:50 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afterburner vortex all the way
Old 01 June 2007, 02:52 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Depends on the rest of your exhaust system. If that is standard, no backbox alone will be too loud.

Goto Scoobyworld and hear their clips. Well made exhausts. Afterburner is highly recommended, as is the Ninja.

And if you're planning to just change the backbox, then i'd opt for the loudest one possible. If changing the rest of the system, then it's a different matter...
Old 01 June 2007, 03:09 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted a MY05 STi Box to my classic and it sounds much better than the standard pea-shooter and its still neighbour friendly!

Just need to extend the middle hanger then the box goes straight on!
Old 01 June 2007, 03:25 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat

And if you're planning to just change the backbox, then i'd opt for the loudest one possible. If changing the rest of the system, then it's a different matter...
I dissagree, the impreza only has one silencer and that IS the back box If you fit a lairy jap can to a standard system its frooping loud!
Old 01 June 2007, 03:38 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

The STI box will not give you any more sound than the peashooter.
Old 01 June 2007, 03:41 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

I defo get more sound from the STi box and my peashooter had fubared baffles and a hole lol
Old 01 June 2007, 04:02 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
I dissagree, the impreza only has one silencer and that IS the back box If you fit a lairy jap can to a standard system its frooping loud!
You forgetting the resonated centre? The cats in the downpipe also adjust noise.

I changed backbox to a Ninja, got some rumble, but was nothing. Then changed the rest of the pipes to afterburner scaffold poles and non-res centre and ears would bleed when you used to drive past.
Old 01 June 2007, 04:10 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

I defo get more sound from the STi box and my peashooter had fubared baffles and a hole lol
You must be lucky. I tried an STI box on my 03 car last year and it didn't do a thing. A mate also tried an STI box on his 00 car and that did nothing too.
Old 01 June 2007, 04:15 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

I have an H and S OE style stainless backbox for sale if you are interested in taking it off my hands, very cheap ( £100 ono) tis from a newage STI, but if itl fit yours then it may be a cheap replacement option ( did sound good too, not too loud, but burbly)
PM me if you want more info
Old 01 June 2007, 04:21 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swtmerce
You must be lucky. I tried an STI box on my 03 car last year and it didn't do a thing. A mate also tried an STI box on his 00 car and that did nothing too.
Depends what your definition of loud is though to most people any kind of noise is enough, standard system is almost silent.. dont the newer cars have a pre-cat in the up-pipe too?
Old 01 June 2007, 04:21 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

got a 5 inch jap style back box on my 03 sti ppp it sounds fantastic, it's that nice i turn the cd player off so i can enjoy the noise even more. it's music to my ears. Dan.
Old 01 June 2007, 04:31 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Depends on the rest of your exhaust system. If that is standard, no backbox alone will be too loud.

Goto Scoobyworld and hear their clips. Well made exhausts. Afterburner is highly recommended, as is the Ninja.

The rest of the system is completely standard - So does that mean it's not worth getting something like the TSL as I'll barely notice the difference over say a STi?

Not really after a dustbin size exhaust - Want something that looks reasonably standard (hence suggestions of STi / Prodrive)

Will I have any problems fitting another backbox onto the standard centre pipes??

Cheers
Old 01 June 2007, 04:55 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by michaelro
The rest of the system is completely standard - So does that mean it's not worth getting something like the TSL as I'll barely notice the difference over say a STi?

Not really after a dustbin size exhaust - Want something that looks reasonably standard (hence suggestions of STi / Prodrive)

Will I have any problems fitting another backbox onto the standard centre pipes??

Cheers
You'll really need to meet some people and hear their cars since the range out there is so vast and the options you have in mixing and matching components is also vast. For example, I have a decat downpipe, standard resonated centre and Scoobysport box on my 98 STI. It's a lot louder than standard and you are always aware of the fact that there's an aftermarket exhaust there although at cruise at certain revs it can be near silent. Compare this to my mate's 00 UK turbo with catted downpipe, standard centre and H&S Jap style big bore box. It makes mine sound like a little lamb bleating in the distance.
Old 01 June 2007, 05:26 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

I have a prodrive backbox on an MY00 (on a standard system). Its louder than the standard, you get a bit of rumble and burble. I think this is how they should be standard, but anyways...

I sometimes wish I had more rumble throughout the rev range not just at the lower end.

If you want something that isn't at all intrusive and can be heard nicely with the windows down go with the prodrive (if you can get hold of one). If you want loud and really deep go with some other third party box
Old 01 June 2007, 05:48 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

will a TSL Group N fit on a standard system?
Old 01 June 2007, 06:23 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Depends what your definition of loud is though to most people any kind of noise is enough, standard system is almost silent.. dont the newer cars have a pre-cat in the up-pipe too?
Not on the STi
Old 01 June 2007, 06:29 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Yes, you'll hear the TSL and most others over the STi, as i thought the STi was almost silent. The definition of loud to one person if not the same as for others.

So if i were changing just the backbox, nothing else, i would feel comfortable getting one of the louder backboxes (Ninja, Vortex, Firestorm).

(* Not heard just the Buddy Cub/B5izgen/Fujitsibo backboxes, if they even exist, might only be cat-back).

If i were gonna change the rest of the exhaust later, i'd maybe not get one of the louder backboxes, because it does get much louder when decatting & non-res. So you don't wanna have to sell it and get a quieter one.

Enough exhausts pass through the For Sale section on here though to try a few.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 01 June 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01 June 2007, 06:31 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

will a TSL Group N fit on a standard system?
TSL MOTORSPORT | Subaru Saab Mitsubishi | parts | repair | servicing | performance tuning | UK

"Like all TSL exhaust components, this back box is compatible with any OEM or reputable aftermarket centre section with 2 5/8 inch bolt flanges."
Old 01 June 2007, 06:33 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Ta very much
Old 01 June 2007, 06:35 PM
the_msp
Scooby Regular

5 Zigen gets my vote...amazing