Sponsored by:

Is It True?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2007, 09:04 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It True?

Is it true that a stage 1 Chip eliminates turbo lag at low revs and, if so is it safe, especially if you've had a remap as well?

Pub talk earlier on this evening.

Didn't contribute to the debate as I haven't a clue one way or another.

Views welcome.

Alan MaC.
Old 31 May 2007, 10:36 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Stage 1 chip?? Are you talking about some kind of piggy back chip??

Just get it ECUTEK'd by someone good. A good mapper will be able to extract the most from your setup improving all aspects of driveability.
Old 01 June 2007, 07:37 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure it's a chip in the ECU.
Had mine remapped already.

Turbo is a Garrett 28 which, kicks in at 3250 then pulls all the way to 6250.

Was interested in something to give a bit of lowdown grunt.

Regards.

Alan MaC
Old 01 June 2007, 09:53 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrRA
A good mapper will be able to extract the most from your setup improving all aspects of driveability.
Like because SUBARU couldn't

SUBARU have access to the best Mappers in the world - to change what they have done will mean trading-off against something else ...... find out what that 'else' is first!!
Old 01 June 2007, 10:58 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Like because SUBARU couldn't

SUBARU have access to the best Mappers in the world - to change what they have done will mean trading-off against something else ...... find out what that 'else' is first!!
How will it Pete? The base factory map that Subaru use will be compromised if anything. Every engine is slightly different to the next one produced due to manufacturing tolerances, and as such some engines will actually make more power or even less.

The base map has to account for these manufacturing tolerances.

By having a remap you will create a bespoke map for that particular engine.

And don't come back with any bull**** quotes of yours because I work in engine manufacturing factory, so know and see more than you when it comes to engines being produced.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:13 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm aware, the base map also takes into account sh!te petrol and looks to compensate for that.
Old 01 June 2007, 03:22 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

I don't see how you can totally get rid of turbo lag. Until the turbo is spinning it can't blow air into the engine. At low rpm the speed of the turbo is too low to give any significant boost, so you have to build up rpm 'off boost' before turbo spools up and the boost starts to become significant... that is turbo lag. I can't see what could be changed to get more boost at low rpm other than changing the design of the turbo.
A turbo car has low compression so a turbo 2.5 litre engine run without any boost at all would probably run only 100bhp, you are relying on the boost for all the rest. That's why a turbo car is often slower than a NA car on initial pull-away when the rpm is low and then flies as the boost comes in.

As regards mapping the engine - Subaru have to map it so that it runs acceptably under all conditions - from climbing a Norwegan mountain pass in winter, to driving in the Aussie outback in summer. And on less than perfect fuel. Plus they will build in a safety margin to make sure the engine doesn't go pop under warranty. By mapping to your own particular circumstances and eating into that safety margin a bit, you can obtain a fair bit more power.
Old 01 June 2007, 04:12 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

stage 1 is all rubbish in my opinion, they are just stages tuning companies come up with to sell you different things, eg. stage 1 = decat downpipe, filter and remap etc.. stage 2= more stuff than stage 1 etc...

a ''stage 1 chip'' doesnt exist.. its all chat, usually from people who dont know what they are talking about lol
Old 01 June 2007, 05:38 PM
amazingjames
Scooby Regular

When some 1 says stage 1 chip this just means its a slight bit more wild than standard settings and stage 2 would be even more than stage 1 . its not really in stages its just how they describe the chip as stage 1 probably runs an extra 5 psi over stock and stage 2 10 psi. but each manufacturers chips are different. so its just an easy way of saying how much more power it'l make when installed.
Old 01 June 2007, 08:28 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, good stuff.

So, I think, what you are saying is, stick with the remap, and bigger Turbo and keep the revs up to get the turbo spining/spooling quicker?

Still could do with a couple of pointers on how to compensate for the lag before the blower kicks in?

THanks once again.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 01 June 2007, 10:08 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

You could always fit a supercharger. Quite a common way to assist larger turbos. Supercharger performs well at lower revs and when the turbo hits boost some form of gate redirects the boost from the turbo.

Don't know if anyone has done this on a subaru tho, but would certainly help the lag of a bigger turbo on the relatively small 2ltr engine

Some manufacturers are now looking at electrically assisted turbo's so that spoolup isn't reliant solely on exhaust output, allowing a larger turbo to be fitted on smaller engines.
Old 01 June 2007, 10:14 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Nice one>

Any advice on where to look for one??

Thanks.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 01 June 2007, 10:17 PM
SCOOBY13.5
Scooby Regular

Look into a Apexi AVC-R boost controller and then you can adjust more boost at a lower RPM and then lower the boost to the higher RPM when the turbo kicks in big time, I'm looking into one of these myself

Steven
Old 01 June 2007, 10:25 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Nice one Steven!!

KInd regards

Alan MaC