Sponsored by:

Dealer to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2007, 12:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dealer to blame?

Related to this thread, the car had just been serviced last week by a main dealer. As the car is 5 years old, it is out of warranty. I imagine if I take it there that they will strip the engine, say the failure is not related to their service, and it will cost me £££'s. Has anyone had success getting a part payment from Subaru for a rebuild in my situation? (Euro import, so i doubt it.)

I know of the (****) oil change recommendations by some, but have no idea whether the dealer does this routine. They did overfill the car last time, but this time I checked immediately and there was no problem.

Is it worth visiting them or should I just go independent and cut my losses?

It's going to be really inconvenient without a car so I want it sorted asap. I had to wait 4 weeks for a service.
Old 28 May 2007, 01:18 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will find the dealer empties oil (warm) removes filter and then puts on new (empty) filter and measured amount of new (often too much) oil into engine and starts it up. (I always check levels after a service.)
While this procedure is not the one recommended by people on here it is the one used by people on other cars, many of which do not have vertically mounted filters that can be prefilled in the first place.
Personally I am of the opinion that a Subaru engine is basically an engine that can be serviced by any competant mechanic.
However - There are some who would beg to differ!

Last edited by cster; 28 May 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 28 May 2007, 03:37 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few years back my (JDM) STi V went belly up just a day or two after a service, big end apparently. I had no joy with the garage as they just said we did the service as we always do, difficult to prove otherwise. Needless to say I never went back there & it cost me £3k to sort

TX.