Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby's too expensive on new car tax

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2001, 04:09 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately the Scooby is nearing its 60,000 miles and has to go back soon. The new company car tax means that its just too much to afford another one next - missus wants to move house so cars gotta move down the priority list. BUT, the new Civic Type R looks like a cheaper but still fun option. Thing is - any add ons / mods have to be done before I pick it up - made that mistake with the Scoob. Does anyone know what I should do to get maximum fun out of this thing. That is, besides changing the whole engine like most of the Honda BB readers seem to be doing to their 1784 edition Preludes etc. HELP!!
Old 21 December 2001, 04:17 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick - look for lpitt's posts on this BBS, he recently changed his modded MY98 Scooby wagon for a Civic Type R for the same reason you are looking at it, do a search for his posts, and email him, I'm sure he'll be happy to talk about it.

Try looking at Members Gallery for the last 2-3 weeks, there are pics, and a big discussion there.

Simon.
Old 21 December 2001, 04:59 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon

Looks like Laurence has really done his research into that one. I was also looking at the 150 Golf but I would have to eat too much humble pie to get an oil burner. Been slating them for years.
Thanks again

Nick
Old 21 December 2001, 05:15 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Scooby + PPP = unknown emissions.

Therefore tax based on old system
Old 23 December 2001, 06:18 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Scooby + PPP = tax on 25% of list flat rate. Thing is that most leasing companies won't accept PPP as a mod any more or make it ridiculously expensive as it doesn't add to the resale enough.
====

I've just cleared 2k on my CTR now and it's loosened off nicely. Also, I'm getting used to the different style of driving. It really is a stormer and I would highly recommend one to anyone considering it.

There are also a number of mods starting to filter in from Japan and the US now, only exhaust and induction at the moment but who knows what will be around in a year or so as at the moment this is a totally new engine to Honda being the 1998cc iVTEC rather than the 1784cc VTEC from the 'teg.

Laurence
Old 23 December 2001, 11:28 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Instead of leasing, why not go lease purchase - you get the same VAT / tax stuff (ok, you pay a bit more a month) but you;
(a) Keep the car at the end or
(b) Pay "pepper corn rental" to the finance company to continue leasing (which may or may not be beneficial)
(c) Sell the car and keep the profit on sale

There's no limit on mileage and you can have whatever mods you like :-)))

Although you get taxed at 25% (or whatever), this can be significantly offset by savings in tax (at 40% - assuming higher rate tax payer) on Petrol, Insurance and Servicing and don't foget that the nice government will then be susidising your tyres and petrol through VAT and Tax. And that insurance bill that you'd normally have to pay for after tax is before tax. Obviously this only works if you actually own the company...
Old 24 December 2001, 12:00 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Laurence
Any idea what sort of a difference having a full de-cat system would make to the car? Power and pick up etc. I am guessing that this would not have any effect on the rev range for the VTEC system!!!! Would this create the popping on overrun with a few flames thrown in for good measure?
Andy - I have looked at buying....but....will need a loan and I tend to have less fun when I am paying for the tyres and repair bills. My Fleet Management would probably agree based on only 11,000 miles out of the last set.

Cheers

Nick
Old 24 December 2001, 12:24 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Nick,

The CTR is still too new for anyone to have had much tuning experience but feedback from the states is that a less restrictive backbox in conjunction with the new HKS induction kit can release up to 20BHP. Unfortunately none of it has hit the UK yet although http://www.tuning-japanese.co.uk will have it all when it does.

Hope this helps your Christmas list.

Laurence