Sponsored by:

You cant tell me this doesn't look better

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2007, 06:05 PM
speedfreak07
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You cant tell me this doesn't look better

God this thing looks sweet. Its just sleek and sexy.
2008 Subaru Impreza Renders Surface - FQuick.com
Old 15 May 2007, 06:28 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Originally Posted by speedfreak07
God this thing looks sweet. Its just sleek and sexy.
2008 Subaru Impreza Renders Surface - FQuick.com
#

Looks better than the "euro" version However, this saloon is only for USDM -
Old 15 May 2007, 06:38 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Looks awefull, I certainly won't be buying one of the new shapped bag of ****
Old 15 May 2007, 06:41 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

no btter looks like a mondeo ffs
Old 15 May 2007, 06:51 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Actually that does look a lot better than other pics I'd seen. Is this really US only? If so, why?!
Old 15 May 2007, 06:58 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Looks awefull, I certainly won't be buying one of the new shapped bag of ****

I will second that!
Old 15 May 2007, 07:03 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

I'd have one!
Old 15 May 2007, 07:41 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

looks better but obviously done for US Taste, looks like a 3 Car pile up, a Impreza, Legacy and a Mondeo

as said UK version will be hatch looks like the Import market will be booming

I cant wait till Prodrive release (leak) their Pictures of the UK STi

Tony
Old 15 May 2007, 07:48 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

From the NASIOC site

Why did subaru build a hatchback? (or... Why Subaru dont dont hatchback??)
Subaru wanted to compete in the world market where hatchbacks are very popular. Even though the current Impreza is a compact by US standards, it's a long, oversized vehicle to much of the rest of the world. Parking a hatchback on a city street is much easier, and most people never utilize the extra cargo volume of the wagon over a hatch anyway. Also, Subaru is one of the only remaining marques to campaign a sedan in the World Rally Championship. Longer cars are much harder to slide sideways down a narrow road.

In addition to that. Subaru realized that it had more wagon models than any other brand, and quickly put a halt to it. For 2007, the Legacy Wagon has been discontinued and for 2008, the Impreza hatch will replace the Impreza wagon. Subaru's strategy is based on the belief that someone looking for an Impreza wagon will have the option between the smaller hatch and the larger Forester, and someone looking for a Legacy wagon will have the option of an Outback wagon or the Tribeca.

How is this any different than a wagon?
There is less rear overhang. The wheelbase is a few inches longer than the previous impreza, but there's less for Sir Mix-a-lot to like (ie: no big butts).

The '08 Impreza is still classified as a sub-compact.
But what about the sedan? I want my sedan!
It will likely only be sold in North America. Expect base and WRX models to be available in sedan and hatch versions (much like the current sedans & wagons)

Correction: We have it from this press release on the Subaru Australia site, that the sedan will debut down under next year. - Thank you Crawdads!
What about the STi? It will be a sedan, right?
All sources point to 'NO'. The WRC car is going to be a hatch. The overseas STI is going to be a hatch. Most likely, the North American STI will be a hatch as well.
I heard Subaru is going to build a 2 door hatch, where is it?
Sorry, there is no 2 door. 2 door 1995-2001 Imprezas were only sold as special editions outside of the US. Again, the tight city parking spaces make operating the larger doors necessary for a 2 door car, difficult at best. Since they didn't sell well (even in the US, 2 door cars didn't sell nearly as well as 4 doors and wagons), Subaru isn't going to bother with them.
What is improved by going to the new platform?
The chassis is lighter and stiffer. The rear suspension is now more compact which means a wider & lower cargo area. This is made possible by the use of rear dual A-arms instead of the previous car's rear Chapman Struts. This new rear suspension is of the same design as the Tribeca's.
Why is the exhaust exiting on the right side? I thought the exhaust had to be on the opposite side of the car from the fuel filler door, for some reason?
The exhaust pipes are still on the left side of the driveshaft. The shortened rear overhang means that the muffler was turned 90 degrees and the tailpipe now exits on the other side. The exhaust is kept on the opposite side of the car from the evaporative emissions equipment that must be close to the fuel filler tube.
Why is the intake manifold plastic??
The important question is, "Why not?". Modern plastics used for manifolds are extremely strong and much cheaper to produce than metal, are better at insulating heat, smoother on the inside (for better flow) and, best of all, lighter. Currently, aluminum prices are skyrocketting. Most carmakers, including Subaru, are reducing the amount of aluminum used to build their cars... the old intakes were made out of aluminum.
Why does the engine bay look like that of the Legacy?
Just as the previous Impreza was built on the previous Legacy platform, this new Impreza is built on the 2nd Legacy platform (debuted in '05). The platform is shortened in wheelbase resulting in less passenger room (than the Legacy), but retains the same forward chassis members and suspension pickup points,.. just like last time. The new Impreza's wheelbase is still 3.7" longer than the current one, which should translate to more interior room.

But, what about the engine? Why the Legacy engine?
The Legacy engine was specifically designed to fit lower in the chassis, and the upper portion (intercooler mounts, manifold, etc) were all made to meet the stringent European Pedestrian Impact standards. In other words: There must be enough crush space behind the hood to minimize the harm done to a struck pedestrian.

That said, the engine isn't directly out of the Legacy. While we're still lacking specifics, the engine features a flatter torque curve than any previous turbocharged Subaru engines. The torque comes on strong at low RPMs and doesn't quit until you near redline.
Will the WRX still have an aluminum hood and aluminum control arms?
Sadly, no. Subaru is discontinuing the use of aluminum on all the cars except for the STI models. Aluminum is just too expensive right now and Subaru (actually, nearly every car manufacturer) doesn't want to raise the prices as they don't believe most of their buyers understand the benefits of the aluminum components anyway. On the plus side, carbon fiber hoods could actually be considered 'upgrades' again.
Where are the fender flares?
The Impreza wagons never had fender flares before, so it shouldn't be very surprising that the new hatch lacks them as well. Again, this is a world car.. a bread & butter vehicle for Subaru to sell to people all over the world. What is surprising is that the sedan lacks them this time around.

Apparently, not everybody loves fender flares on their car (I know, hard to believe!) The good news is that we may still see an STI with very aggressive flares. There have been a number of very direct hints to this by some of our sources.
What's up with the interior?
The steering wheel is right out of the Legacy and the seats remain unchanged. The lighting is red and the gauges perform a sweep calibration at startup. The stereo unit seen in the pictures has a DVD Navigation system. Behind the 7.5" screen is a 6 disc CD changer, and located in the console is an auxiliary input and even audio\video inputs for use on the screen when the car is at a stop (handbrake engaged). The longer wheelbase and an additional 2" in interior width should made the car feel much more roomy inside.
Will all Imprezas have the clear tail lamps?
The WRX and most likely the STI will have them. The lesser models will have more traditional red lamps. We are unsure at this point as to whether or not this means the lesser models will have incandescent bulbs or if they will be lit with LEDs like the WRX. Since all cars must have red reflectors facing the rear, Subaru mounted them down low on the bumper.
Why are the 4-pot brakes gone!
While the 4-pot brakes are nice, they don't provide any more braking power than the 2-pots. The number of "pots" or pistons that a brake caliper has, only affects the feedback to the pedal. The 4-pots were added to the 2006 & 2007 WRX to add interest to an old chassis. This sort of de-contenting is perfectly normal for carmakers to do when introducing new vehicles. As the car ages, Subaru will add more features again to boost sales. For now, take solace in the fact that the mighty Honda/Acura NSX.. the only supercar designed with the help of Ayrton Senna and hailed as having the best brakes short of a Porsche 911, sported sliding calipers at all 4 corners. Besides, the 4 pots are actually heavier. (Correction - The 4 pots are actually 500mg lighter than the 2 pots, Thanks Siper2!)
Why did they put those tiny little wheels on it?
Those are 17" wheels, just like on the current WRX. Just as in the current lineup, the lesser models will get 16" wheels standard.
Are those frames I see around the windows???
Yep. It looks like Subaru is going to move away from frameless. The pillars still look relatively thin, so we can probably expect minimal intrusion into the driver's visiblity. Subaru probably made this move to attract people to their cars that would otherwise be turned off by what they consider to be 'inferior' doors, and to reduce warranty work on misaligned frameless windows.
What other specifications do we know about?
Steering ratio has been improved to 15:1 (up from 16.5:1) which is the current STI's ratio.
Subaru is estimating a 10% improvement in fuel efficiency!
There are more specs here.
Subaru is owned by Toyota now, right? This new Impreza is actually a Corolla or something, right?
No, not at all. General Motors was holding onto a non-controlling share of Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent company) up until this past Fall when they sold them. Some of them (8.7%) were sold to Toyota. Shortly afterwards, Toyota was looking at some major profits and several rumors began about them being in the position to buy Subaru entirely. Toyota quickly dismissed the rumors citing that they felt comfortable with their current involvement with Subaru, and were enjoying the collaborative efforts that were underway.

The new Impreza is 100% Subaru (if you don't count the individual parts made by Nissan, Mitsubishi, KYB, Brembo, etc, etc, etc). It's a Subaru design, through & through.
Where will the new Impreza be built?
The new Impreza is to be built in Gunma, Japan. There were rumors about the Impreza being built in the US alongside the Legacy (in Lafayette, IN), but agreements made with Toyota have led to Toyota using the extra space.
Why did Subaru make it so ugly?
I'm sorry. Subaru can not make you another GC8. Safety mandates and the fact that the 1990's are over have forced Subaru to move on. Please try to do the same, or just buy a Subaru that you do like. They last a long time.
Well, then.. Why does it look like every other hatchback? Ditto every other sedan?
There aren't too many different shapes that a hatchback can take... at least, not that are considered attractive (take a look at an AMC Gremlin or Pacer). The Subaru, while very similar to the Mazda 3, is lower, wider and has a longer hood.

The sedan's shape is very similar to other sedans in the same segment. This is probably due to the emphasis on practicality. The rear seat passengers should have enough headroom to be comfortable and the trunk should be nice and spacious. It may be similar to a Corolla or Ion from the rear 3/4 view, but we have to remember that those cars outsell the old Impreza by orders of magnitude.
Old 16 May 2007, 05:46 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Why did Subaru make it so ugly?

Originally Posted by NASIOC site
I'm sorry. Subaru can not make you another GC8. Safety mandates and the fact that the 1990's are over have forced Subaru to move on. Please try to do the same, or just buy a Subaru that you do like.
I have to agree time to move on

Also, Subaru is one of the only remaining marques to campaign a sedan in the World Rally Championship. Longer cars are much harder to slide sideways down a narrow road.
Sorry, there is no 2 door. 2 door 1995-2001 Imprezas were only sold as special editions outside of the US. Again, Since they didn't sell well Subaru aren't going to bother with them .
Hopefully back to their winning ways and I agree 2 door car is a pain for me at the moment

The chassis is lighter and stiffer. The rear suspension is now more compact which means a wider & lower cargo area. This is made possible by the use of rear dual A-arms instead of the previous car's rear Chapman Struts. This new rear suspension is of the same design as the Tribeca's
Hopefully this will stop the rear knocking 01-17 Fiasco

The good news is that we may still see an STI with very aggressive flares. There have been a number of very direct hints to this by some of our sources
I think the slight hint was " It will never sell if doesn't look agressive" it could bomb out worse than the 01 WRX, some cronic sales fiqures were really salvage with the 02 STi IMHO

Will all Imprezas have the clear tail lamps?[/B] [INDENT]The WRX and most likely the STI will have them. The lesser models will have more traditional red lamps. We are unsure at this point as to whether or not this means the lesser models will have incandescent bulbs or if they will be lit with LEDs like the WRX. Since all cars must have red reflectors facing the rear, Subaru mounted them down low on the bumper
I havent got a Problem with LED's, I like them they are safer, IMHO it the GAY silver/clear Lexus looking SH!TE lenses Some of the first LED's came out with STD red,orange and clear lenses only when the light came on did you knowi was not incandescent bulbs.

Tony
Old 16 May 2007, 08:34 PM
glync
Scooby Regular

It looks pretty smart in the dark metallic grey.

I'm sure once released we will see plenty of mod's so that everyone can style their own individual look!
Old 17 May 2007, 09:27 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm nice wheels , that's about it, but still better than the hatch.
Old 17 May 2007, 10:03 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Still dont like it