Re: Tracker or RAC Trackstar

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2000, 04:30 PM
Dan A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The same old Question again but........

News item in the Yorjshire Evening Post on 24 or 25/11/00 regarding a stolen WRX (Gutted).
It said that it had trackstar fitted on it, but they can not find it. They know its somewhere in the Leeds area but not where.

RAC said this is the first time they have not been able to find one of their cars with a fitted system.

So is it Tracker or Is it Trackstar? (which system to protect your car, I know this has been raised multiple times before, but worrying if they cant find it!!!).

May be an update to the story but not in today's press. Any more information on this would be interesting. Also to see if they do finally find it.....

Cheers

Dan
Old 27 November 2000, 04:35 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Apparently one of the main car mags reckoned Tracker was still superior, but then I believe a different mag said Trackstar was... I think the polics rate Tracker over Trackstar, but dont quote me on that, I think it was mentioned in a thread a month or so back....

rgds, Alex

PS. the P1 comes fitted with Trackstar as standard
Old 27 November 2000, 05:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Smile

check my thread 'which tracking device' in the 'security' section

Basically I think it's down to personal preference. If I have to go for one then it'd probably be the RAC Trackstar, mainly as if it's good enough for Subaru UK to fit to the P1 then it'll be good enough for the black beast.
Old 27 November 2000, 06:33 PM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As a result of an unfortunate incident I had in my 1st P1 back in August (NOT MY FAULT)
my poor P1 had to be put on a Transporter.

Anyhow, within 2 minuets of that Transporter moving off I received a call on my mobile from RAC Trackstar informing me that they had received an alert from my car.
They knew exactly where it was, what speed it was travelling at and the direction it was heading in.
That was impressive.

A couple of interesting points here are:-

1: They contact you to advise you that they have received an alert, if they cant contact you on any of the numbers you give them then they will continue to track the vehicle and relay all this information to the police.

2: Also as the primary number given to RAC Trackstar was my home number, but they were cleaver enough to contact me on my mobile as the first try.

As I work in Mobile Comm’s and have quite a lot of dealings with GPS systems. I know that under certain conditions GPS systems can give misleading information unless you use it in differential form, but even then there are ways of confusing it.
This is probably what has happened to the one in Leeds.....

Any way I know which system I would rather have.

Rob

Old 27 November 2000, 07:52 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Dan, there are quite a few of these devises around now but it all boils down to this: Tracker vs The Rest (as they're all using similar technology).

I've looked into them all and have concluded that the original Tracker is still the best. I also asked the local plod and they too said Tracker. They have 14 cars with the necessary gear installed, plus a chopper.

But there's a problem. There are two types of car thief - one sort who wants the car to sell, say a nice Merc, and another sort who wants the car to joy ride, ram raid or getaway fast in. A Scoob is their number one choice. Now do you really want your car back after they've finished?

Hoppy
Old 28 November 2000, 01:16 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone got any experience of the new Tracker Horizon?

Seems to be the best of both worlds: old style tracker, plus a GPS/GSM system as well.

Down side seems to be the £750 the thing costs......
Old 28 November 2000, 11:42 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine worked in the Police and said that with the old style Tracker at least. You relied too much on a police car with the equipment fitted or helicopter being in the vacinity. And should, god forbid another car pass whose tracker is activiated then the unit wont know which one to follow. At least with Trachstar they are following your car from a central point and can see where it is going. Tracker can be a bit hit and miss, but then if they now have GPS who know's??
Old 28 November 2000, 03:19 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

what about eGuard ... is that any good ... does anyone know?