Strut Braces

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 10:24 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Braces

Hi All

I seem to remember a thread a few weeks ago about someone asking if the braces on ebay (£50ish front and back) were worth it but for the life of me cannot find it now by doing a search.

Basically I'm asking the same question if anyone can help, they seem to be very similar in design and construction to many of the more expensive items for less than half the cost. I'm not going to be racing round a track every weekend so am not looking for total stiffness but don't want to waste my money on something that is useless.

Thanks
Old 10 May 2007, 10:31 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

probs cheaper as they may use lesser quality materials

also if you have problems then the chances of chasing someone in Taiwan are slim, i'd rather have the peace of mind that i can walk into a shop/supplier and have some comeback
Old 10 May 2007, 12:22 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the ebay ones. And TBH, they can only do one thing. Thats the same thing that the lighter more expensives ones do. Obviously if they snap or break, there is a problem. But to snap or break them, you have to pretty much destroy the front end of your car in the process.
So, I say go for it.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:46 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Had one I bought off ebay on the front of my STI and to be honest could not tell if it made a difference or not.Then noticed it was rusting and marking the strut tops despite having a gasket between the strut brace and strut top - took it off and flogged it on ebay again.If I ever got another which I doubt it would be a good quality alloy/carbon one - you get what you pay for.
Old 10 May 2007, 03:31 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I am in the market for a front strut brace too. Rear one involves taking seats out so can't be arsed. I looked at the ones on eBay (silver with pink ends), they are cheap because they are made of heavier material and non-adjustable - you wont notice the diff or need to care about this as you are not doing time trials. If you can get a carbon one for reasonable cash then go for it, but otherwise I think the usual pink/silver ones like I mentioned are fine. The Fr+rear for 75 delivered on eBay sound OK but I just want a front one. Revolution have what looks like the same one for £55, then you have somewhere to moan if probs.

PS. my insurance want £30 for 8months if I add one.
Old 10 May 2007, 03:38 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell the difference on my year 2000 classic when I have one on, its not the same for later shape Imprezas as the chassis was stiffened anyway.

Havent bothered with the rear yet but I picked up an E-tech one for the front for £30 on here!
Old 10 May 2007, 03:54 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Just removed mine, I was looking at a Prodive built rally car last week and that had no front or rear brace so I binned mine(well it's in the garage) Can't say the car feels any different.
Old 10 May 2007, 05:04 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fairly sure the rally car would have been strengthed chassis wise anyway so no need for one there. Unless you've got a classic they are just for show.