Sponsored by:

Subaru: Slow death of the brand imminent

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2007, 07:21 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Subaru: Slow death of the brand imminent

Right, lets talk CO2 and thanks to Mr Brown and our tree hugging friends I am sad to report that Subaru as a brand will be non existant in 5 years. Why? All current new Turbo models exceed the 225g/km which puts them clearly into G band. That's right, £300 per annum this year rising to £400 next year. Now that is fine for the owner of a £60k Audi S8, £400 is chicken feed. But to the humble buyer of a £22k Subaru it is an outrageous sum of money. Especially when you can buy a Vauxhall Astra VXR for £17.5k and chip it to 260bhp and still be under 225kg/km AND still return 30 mpg The dealers must be running around like headless chickens looking for a contingency plan for their lack of business.

The end is nigh, unless the rumoured WRX with a 2.5 litre diesel starts to fill the dealerships. And let's be honest, how many on this forum would consider a diesel

Hang on to your classics lads, they will become highly sought after, any Impreza Turbo produced after March 2001 is subject to band G and that will depress their market value considerably. It will also harm any brand with CO2 at band G. Thanks Gordon

Blutes
Old 09 May 2007, 07:24 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

well i bought a my07 fully aware of the rip-off £400 next year, and although it annoys me, i will still pay it, and i am at the bottom end of the earning average for the uk.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:26 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I think you will find only cars registered after 23rd March 2006 are liable for Band G (ie: MINE!! ).

Cars registered between 23rd March 2001 and 22nd March 2006 will be a maximum of F (about £200 i think?).

Agreed in general though... the 'green' tax has many flaws... the biggest being that most of the pollution is caused by cars registered before the Band G was introduced and will probably be sitting in Band F or even still tax'd by engine size.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:32 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stara
well i bought a my07 fully aware of the rip-off £400 next year, and although it annoys me, i will still pay it, and i am at the bottom end of the earning average for the uk.
You must have money to burn

Why didn't you consider an Astra VXR or Focus ST? Or for what you are spending on tax and insurance put what you would save into a new S3

The classics are the Subaru's to own nowadays. I am afraid every dog has its day and the new models are not worthy, far too much capable (and cheaper to run/buy) competition.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:34 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
I think you will find only cars registered after 23rd March 2006 are liable for Band G (ie: MINE!! ).

Cars registered between 23rd March 2001 and 22nd March 2006 will be a maximum of F (about £200 i think?).
Correct.

And to be honest, I bought the Impreza knowing full well what the running costs would be like. I would humbly suggest that if an extra £100 is going to mean you can't afford to run an Impreza then the harsh reality is you can't afford to run one now.

Last edited by Prasius; 09 May 2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:37 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I actually think they have missed the point with all this CO2 tax banding, they really need to concenrate on the cars that are not looked after and are running uneconomically, thus producing a hell of a lot more CO2 in emissions that a well looked after Subaru.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:38 PM
White-Un
Scooby Regular

Just rip off britain stinging the car owners again.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:40 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Correct.

And to be honest, I bought the Impreza knowing full well what the running costs would be like. I would humbly suggest that if an extra £100 is going to mean you can't afford to run an Impreza then the harsh reality is you can't afford to run one now.
Its a case of not being able to afford it but wondering whether is it "worth it" To me new Subaru models are shaded in real world situations by the competition. Okay a new STI will reach 100mph in 12 seconds but what use is that? Compare that cars 30-50 figure in 4th with an S3 and the S3 pulls like a train. Flexibilty and usability in the real world counts. That is why I actually have a fondness for high power diesels. I recently drove a Seat Ibiza Cupra 160PS diesel and whilst it quickly ran out of steam at the extremis in the real world (i.e. UK roads with heavy traffic) it seemed the perfect companion. Couple that with lower CO2 and you're laughing all the way to the bank
Old 09 May 2007, 07:42 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

So you don't buy the car - £100pa seems an irrelavant amount of money to me. Who is going to miss £8 a month?
Old 09 May 2007, 07:42 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I actually think they have missed the point with all this CO2 tax banding, they really need to concenrate on the cars that are not looked after and are running uneconomically, thus producing a hell of a lot more CO2 in emissions that a well looked after Subaru.
Fully agree with what you are saying here
Old 09 May 2007, 07:43 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

it only works out about £3.35 extra a week so not really that bothered
Old 09 May 2007, 07:51 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Its a case of not being able to afford it but wondering whether is it "worth it" To me new Subaru models are shaded in real world situations by the competition. Okay a new STI will reach 100mph in 12 seconds but what use is that? Compare that cars 30-50 figure in 4th with an S3 and the S3 pulls like a train. Flexibilty and usability in the real world counts. That is why I actually have a fondness for high power diesels. I recently drove a Seat Ibiza Cupra 160PS diesel and whilst it quickly ran out of steam at the extremis in the real world (i.e. UK roads with heavy traffic) it seemed the perfect companion. Couple that with lower CO2 and you're laughing all the way to the bank

Mate,

If it bothers you that much buy one and bu**er of to VAG websites, can't stand the Subaru baiters on this Forum.

I know that they are not the Fastest,most economical etc,etc,blah,blah but i love them and have factored in costs as well as most people should when buying a scoob.

Mac
Old 09 May 2007, 07:55 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Well my old suffolk chum, once again you are slagging off impreza's and blowing up the **** of an audi!, lol, you think you are clever, You may be! lol, Hitler thought he was clever, he was! but he was wrong.......
Old 09 May 2007, 07:57 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

i test drove a lot of cars in my price -range before the WRX, and i believe a car should be more than the sum of it's parts, i wanted a new car, and for what i paid, there was nothing that provided the raw feel, awesome handling and the perceived performance of the impreza, not forgetting the glorius sound. i drove an audi a3 1.8t, and although was an averagely quick car and had superb build quality, it felt a little uninvolving and bland, there wasn't a decent BMW in my price range, the astra VXR felt as quick as the imprezza apart from corners, but handled like ****e, wheelspinning tramlining and torque steer, i just didn't like it at all, i drove the golf gti and it felt slow in comparison to the VXR and the WRX, about the same as the Audi a3 . The focus ST was the car that i was torn between with the WRX, build quality is excellent and the power is delivered in a much more civilised manner than the VXR, and it feels very quick too, i think that the character of the imprezza won me over in the end (and the toss of a coin ) i do not for one minute regret getting the imprezza though.
Old 09 May 2007, 07:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a daft thread ......

Whats the price of petrol increased by in the last 2 months? 5p a Litre??

So, given the average mileage of 12,000miles and a mpg of 20mpg, the price of fuel has increased by £136 in 2 months ..........

Have people stopped driving Scoobies?? NO!! and a bit of extra Car tax will not kill off the buyers.

I agree that the Classics are looking even better value for money
Old 09 May 2007, 08:03 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Fully agree with what you are saying here
Yeh, but this way, its easier to manage most probably. As much as it pee's me off, I believe the taxation is fair. We have a choice of whether we are going to drive such cars and to be honest, Subaru rip me off more than the government when it comes to parts (eg brakes). The government are saying that you can run these cars, but at a cost. Why is that unfair ? We can all speculate about whether the taxes are used to good benefit or not and I am not entering a debate on that, but the culture of looking after our environment will only change by the lead of the government. Take the use of seatbelts for example, we now take their use for granted, but only because the law dictated that. How many wore seatbelts 20 years ago by choice ?

Lets be honest, if the law let us and petrol taxation was lower, we would all be driving round in V8 powered cars doing 5mpg at speeds in excess of 100mph and our attitude towards the envoronment would be worse than it is now.

I know we use far less energy than the likes of the USA and China, but to not give a damn is rather self destructive, especially for our childrens sake.

I am far from being a do-gooder, but understand that my privelige of having a performance car comes at a cost.

Neil
Old 09 May 2007, 08:06 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I'm happy that more plebs will be priced out of the subaru market
Old 09 May 2007, 08:09 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
What a daft thread ......

Whats the price of petrol increased by in the last 2 months? 5p a Litre??

So, given the average mileage of 12,000miles and a mpg of 20mpg, the price of fuel has increased by £136 in 2 months ..........

Have people stopped driving Scoobies?? NO!! and a bit of extra Car tax will not kill off the buyers.

I agree that the Classics are looking even better value for money
What a crap reply

The cost of fuel affects everyone not just Subaru owners My thread was pointing to the EXTRA cash Subara owners are going to pay i.e. yet more expense and the fact that many potential buyers will think sod it I will buy a Renault hot hatch or whatever (lower road fund/insurance/fuel costs).

The REAL loss to the NEW buyers will be future heavy depreciation due to the fact that nobody will want to know them on the secondhand market. I suggest you have a word with someone in authority at Glass's guide who will echo my comments
Old 09 May 2007, 08:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

What a crap reply

The cost of fuel affects everyone not just Subaru owners My thread was pointing to the EXTRA cash Subara owners are going to pay i.e. yet more expense and the fact that many potential buyers will think sod it I will buy a Renault hot hatch or whatever (lower road fund/insurance/fuel costs).

The REAL loss to the NEW buyers will be future heavy depreciation due to the fact that nobody will want to know them on the secondhand market. I suggest you have a word with someone in authority at Glass's guide who will echo my comments
You muppet ............. the price of petrol does NOT affect people in the same way

The car that does 60mpg rather than the Scoobies 20mpg does NOT cost the same!!
Old 09 May 2007, 08:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

many potential buyers will think sod it I will buy a Renault hot hatch or whatever (lower road fund/insurance/fuel costs).
*beeep* Wrong.

If that was the case, no one would have ever bought any performance car ever, and we would all be driving around in £8,000 econoboxes. If you haven't noticed, we're not. And £100 a year extra will have no impact on that decision at all.
Old 09 May 2007, 08:25 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Woody1
Yeh, but this way, its easier to manage most probably. As much as it pee's me off, I believe the taxation is fair. We have a choice of whether we are going to drive such cars and to be honest, Subaru rip me off more than the government when it comes to parts (eg brakes). The government are saying that you can run these cars, but at a cost. Why is that unfair ? We can all speculate about whether the taxes are used to good benefit or not and I am not entering a debate on that, but the culture of looking after our environment will only change by the lead of the government. Take the use of seatbelts for example, we now take their use for granted, but only because the law dictated that. How many wore seatbelts 20 years ago by choice ?

Lets be honest, if the law let us and petrol taxation was lower, we would all be driving round in V8 powered cars doing 5mpg at speeds in excess of 100mph and our attitude towards the envoronment would be worse than it is now.

I know we use far less energy than the likes of the USA and China, but to not give a damn is rather self destructive, especially for our childrens sake.

I am far from being a do-gooder, but understand that my privelige of having a performance car comes at a cost.

Neil

What a load of bile. You have been brainwashed by the hype and circumstance of "Global Warming - ooooh Mother, we are all going to perish and fry in a frazzled globally warmed world all brought on by driving cars Utter tripe. The reason why we are seeing higher temperatures is due to the Sun. It is a constantly evolving chunk of radioactive matter which has a life cycle of around 14 billion years. It will have vanished and shrunk into a distant shrivelled star eventually. In between times we have to put up with it's un ruly behaviour What should we do? give it an ASBO There is bugger all we can do about it. As far as securing the future of your children is concerned I think that is complete nonesense. Man has no control over the future of our world. Life's a bitch and then you die.

Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09 May 2007, 08:28 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
You muppet ............. the price of petrol does NOT affect people in the same way

The car that does 60mpg rather than the Scoobies 20mpg does NOT cost the same!!
You are talking from where the sun seldom shines young man

Repeats: "Increase in fuel price affects EVERYONE!!" It doesn't matter whether you do 4mpg or 400mpg, when the time comes to refill your tank it will cost you MORE. Or Am I the only one who attended a proper school?
Old 09 May 2007, 09:40 PM
jay paul
Scooby Newbie

all i know is i new it was going to be dear to run when i bought it (misses didn't) but i thought sod it the only people affected by green taxes are lower paid people who are now getting taxed out of having a nice fast car
Old 09 May 2007, 09:41 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

The best thing to do is ignore posts from Bluto22b. Each reply just encourages him. Ignore him and he'll clear off to another forum and do his baiting there.
Old 09 May 2007, 10:02 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

bluto speaks the truth.

I like him and PSLEWIS
Old 09 May 2007, 10:09 PM
MrRee.
BANNED

Originally Posted by AudiLover
bluto speaks the truth.

I like him and PSLEWIS
Well, pslewis has been BANNED - you won't see him around here again!
Old 09 May 2007, 10:10 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar
The best thing to do is ignore posts from Bluto22b. Each reply just encourages him. Ignore him and he'll clear off to another forum and do his baiting there.

Hasn't worked in the last 5-odd years!!

You've got to have characters like Blutes and PS - just becasue they cause the wind up. Once you see them for what they are, you see why Scoobynet is such a funny place to visit.

As I've said before, not so much Scoobynet, more like Fishing Net!!

DAn
Old 09 May 2007, 10:22 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRee.
Well, pslewis has been BANNED - you won't see him around here again!
O.K
Old 09 May 2007, 10:23 PM
MrRee.
BANNED

Old 09 May 2007, 10:29 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Am I right in saying that the person who started this thread no longer owns a Subaru?

Quick Reply: Subaru: Slow death of the brand imminent