Sponsored by:

Question about Subaru Impreza WRX 2003

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2007, 07:37 PM
Ripon Racer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Subaru Impreza WRX 2003

Hi, I was out looking at some scooby's today and got to test drive one which was a 2003 Impreza WRX Turbo (peanut lights). There is a turbo on the engine as i looked but when test driving I couldn't here it 'flutter' when i took my foot off the throttle etc. It was stock with stock exhaust. Do you need to change to decat for the full effect of the turbo noise?

Thanks
Old 28 April 2007, 09:26 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what peanut lights means - I think most 2003 plates will be blob eyes (the ones that ran 2003-2005). All WRXs from 2003 onwards (and lots before) are turbo so you are correct in what you saw. Not sure what you mean by flutter either....if you are thinking of the noise the rally cars make then you are unlikely to hear that without some serious modding. If you are just talking of an exhaust note, then you will probably want to change the twin pipe zorst for something more throaty, I'm sure someone will offer some advice on that but I have the Prodrive one on and the noise is perfect for me.

PS. I will be in Ripon in 2 weeks time (the In-Laws live on South Grange Road) so hopefully I'll see another Scoob owner while I'm there
Old 28 April 2007, 09:32 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayltee1
I'm not sure what peanut lights means - I think most 2003 plates will be blob eyes (the ones that ran 2003-2005). All WRXs from 2003 onwards (and lots before) are turbo so you are correct in what you saw. Not sure what you mean by flutter either....if you are thinking of the noise the rally cars make then you are unlikely to hear that without some serious modding. If you are just talking of an exhaust note, then you will probably want to change the twin pipe zorst for something more throaty, I'm sure someone will offer some advice on that but I have the Prodrive one on and the noise is perfect for me.

PS. I will be in Ripon in 2 weeks time (the In-Laws live on South Grange Road) so hopefully I'll see another Scoob owner while I'm there

I have the PPP on mine, when the stereo is off which it is most of the time, I can hear my turbo whistle? Not sure if this answers the fellas question but someone with far more info will be along soon.
Old 28 April 2007, 09:33 PM
Ripon Racer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jayltee1

Hi, thanks for the info. Im from the mkiv supra forum, we tend to use strange words.

Ive heard them called peanut lights but hey...

The flutter is well thats different from the supra. What I mean is the hiss from the BOV.

The Prodrive is the one I tested today!!!

LOL I am buying the car hopefully so hope to see you around!!!
Old 28 April 2007, 09:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Scoobs don't have BOV's as standard. They use recircultaing dump valves which feed the excess air back into the intake system to spool down the turbo and balance fuelling. They can be changed for BOV dump valves, but this upsets the smooth running and can potentially damage the engine and reduce available performance for the sake of a noise. There is a way to make the induction, spool-up and dump sound more audible without any danger and no expense, by removing the intake resonator. Do a search.
Old 28 April 2007, 10:20 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russ71
I have the PPP on mine, when the stereo is off which it is most of the time, I can hear my turbo whistle? Not sure if this answers the fellas question but someone with far more info will be along soon.
I too have the PPP but R.R said 'when he took the foot off the throttle' so I figured he meant the cool noise the Rally Subaru makes when changing down, etc. Of course he would have heard the turbo, I have not experienced a turbo car yet where you can't hear it working some of the time.

Before PPP my Blob WRX didn't sound like a Scoob should hence my mention of the Prodrive zorst. Even with no noise I would have still had a massive grin due to the power!
Old 29 April 2007, 04:25 PM
Ripon Racer
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help guys! A lot more helpful and friendly on here than the supra forum was.

This is the sound I was on about. When he changes gear you can hear the dump. Can you achieve this by removing the intake resonator?

YouTube - Impreze WRX getting ragged!
Old 29 April 2007, 05:53 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ripon Racer
Thanks for your help guys! A lot more helpful and friendly on here than the supra forum was.
early days my friend, early days
Old 29 April 2007, 10:02 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ripon Racer

This is the sound I was on about. When he changes gear you can hear the dump. Can you achieve this by removing the intake resonator?

YouTube - Impreze WRX getting ragged!

Yes that is a Vent-to-air BOV. Read corradoboys post - he has it spot on.