Sponsored by:

memory problems

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 11:15 AM
kaywacker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default memory problems

Right new to this fiorum guys just got a subaru imprza hatch a few months back and i fing love it!! Had to take the tape player out thought as had a cd player with ipod connections etc to stick in. this is a techi question so dont know if anyone can help me. Problem is new stereo fits perfectly and memory works sound when the car is on but when I switch off the engine the memory goes and i have to retune everything which is very annoying.The memory cable is connected properly at the back so presume its not connected to the battery power osr something!! Cab anyone help me with this?? would be much appreciated,

Happy driving.

Also looking for roofrails for me car its a year 2000 if anyone knows where id get me hands on a second hand set??
Old 24 April 2007, 11:36 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Take another look at your car. You'll see it ain't a hatchback, but a Saloon.

As for the rest? I can't remember the question
Old 24 April 2007, 11:46 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Hi there, and welcome

There are generally two wires for power on an Aftermarket head unit. One is constant live (normally red) and Switched live (Yellow usually) Sounds like the constant - sometimes known as memory wire - is connected to a switched source thus when the ignition is turned off the memory is lost.

Ideally get a multimeter into both yellow and red to see which one stays on when the ignition is off and which one switches with the ignition and then match with the head unit instructions. Normally they are round the wrong way when this problem is experienced.

Hope this helps.
Old 24 April 2007, 11:51 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stilover
Take another look at your car. You'll see it ain't a hatchback, but a Saloon.

It's a wagon so a hatchback is far closer than a saloon...
Old 24 April 2007, 11:53 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
It's a wagon so a hatchback is far closer than a saloon...
Tis indeed - but its a wee bitty off topic
Old 24 April 2007, 02:37 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by totalllama
Hi there, and welcome

There are generally two wires for power on an Aftermarket head unit. One is constant live (normally red) and Switched live (Yellow usually) Sounds like the constant - sometimes known as memory wire - is connected to a switched source thus when the ignition is turned off the memory is lost.

Ideally get a multimeter into both yellow and red to see which one stays on when the ignition is off and which one switches with the ignition and then match with the head unit instructions. Normally they are round the wrong way when this problem is experienced.

Hope this helps.
^^^ wot he said.. thats your problem
Old 24 April 2007, 05:22 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Had the same issue with my pioneer head unit. The fix was a trip to Halfords to get a connector that fits the standard Subaru wiring loom to the Pioneer head unit. Different brands of head units can use different connectors, you just the need the one for your make.

You can alter your wiring loom to accommodate the head unit as detailed above, but if you slip or screw it up that's it, no more chances. Get an extension lead and it should work straight away, if not, you can mod it to your hearts content as its not the main wiring loom

Ebay do some good deals on these, as some of these cables can be pricey.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2007, 05:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Thought we had an ICE forum

(Should have another for those who have yet to master English, use of computer keyboards, spelling and grammar )
Old 24 April 2007, 06:11 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

(Should have another for those who have yet to master English, use of computer keyboards, spelling and grammar )
Maybe someone who recently found the site and, to date, has two posts did not notice the ICE forum (I'm sure Coffin Dodger actually meant welcome to scoobynet I hope you are finding the site welcoming and helpful thus far).

Maybe we whould have yet another forum for intollerant would-be moderators in which posts deemed unsuitable for could be removed giving a sense of power and supremecy.

Welcome to scoobynet kaywacker
It sounds like you have already cut the wires to fit the stereo, if so do as suggested and use a multimeter to identify the permanent live.
Old 24 April 2007, 07:07 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

maybe its because no 1 reads it in there.
Old 24 April 2007, 08:02 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Had the same issue with my pioneer head unit. The fix was a trip to Halfords to get a connector that fits the standard Subaru wiring loom to the Pioneer head unit. Different brands of head units can use different connectors, you just the need the one for your make.

You can alter your wiring loom to accommodate the head unit as detailed above, but if you slip or screw it up that's it, no more chances. Get an extension lead and it should work straight away, if not, you can mod it to your hearts content as its not the main wiring loom

Ebay do some good deals on these, as some of these cables can be pricey.
Agreed, this way you dont have to cut into your car loom or HU wiring, if your confident with car electronics then you go for the splicing and soldering route.

For the loom see Car Audio Direct, Subaru adaptor. One end plugs into HU and the other into the cars loom.
Old 24 April 2007, 08:14 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

I have memory problems with my head unit, its usually after 8 pints.

Hope this helps.
Old 26 April 2007, 01:37 PM
kaywacker
Scooby Newbie

Default cheers

Thanks for all the help, sorry if i posted in the wrong area seems to be some slightly intolerant scooby drivers out there though!!!!

thanks again for feedback problem on the way to being solved