ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   memory problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/600941-memory-problems.html)

kaywacker 24 April 2007 11:15 AM

memory problems

Right new to this fiorum guys just got a subaru imprza hatch a few months back and i fing love it!! Had to take the tape player out thought as had a cd player with ipod connections etc to stick in. this is a techi question so dont know if anyone can help me. Problem is new stereo fits perfectly and memory works sound when the car is on but when I switch off the engine the memory goes and i have to retune everything which is very annoying.The memory cable is connected properly at the back so presume its not connected to the battery power osr something!! Cab anyone help me with this?? would be much appreciated,

Happy driving.

Also looking for roofrails for me car its a year 2000 if anyone knows where id get me hands on a second hand set??

stilover 24 April 2007 11:36 AM

Take another look at your car. You'll see it ain't a hatchback, but a Saloon. :Suspiciou

As for the rest? I can't remember the question :)

totalllama 24 April 2007 11:46 AM

Hi there, and welcome :)

There are generally two wires for power on an Aftermarket head unit. One is constant live (normally red) and Switched live (Yellow usually) Sounds like the constant - sometimes known as memory wire - is connected to a switched source thus when the ignition is turned off the memory is lost.

Ideally get a multimeter into both yellow and red to see which one stays on when the ignition is off and which one switches with the ignition and then match with the head unit instructions. Normally they are round the wrong way when this problem is experienced.

Hope this helps. :luxhello:

what would scooby do 24 April 2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 6863945)
Take another look at your car. You'll see it ain't a hatchback, but a Saloon. :Suspiciou :)

:nono: It's a wagon so a hatchback is far closer than a saloon...

totalllama 24 April 2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 6863999)
:nono: It's a wagon so a hatchback is far closer than a saloon...

Tis indeed - but its a wee bitty off topic :)

rob2006 24 April 2007 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by totalllama (Post 6863975)
Hi there, and welcome :)

There are generally two wires for power on an Aftermarket head unit. One is constant live (normally red) and Switched live (Yellow usually) Sounds like the constant - sometimes known as memory wire - is connected to a switched source thus when the ignition is turned off the memory is lost.

Ideally get a multimeter into both yellow and red to see which one stays on when the ignition is off and which one switches with the ignition and then match with the head unit instructions. Normally they are round the wrong way when this problem is experienced.

Hope this helps. :luxhello:

^^^ wot he said.. thats your problem

Luminous 24 April 2007 05:22 PM

Had the same issue with my pioneer head unit. The fix was a trip to Halfords to get a connector that fits the standard Subaru wiring loom to the Pioneer head unit. Different brands of head units can use different connectors, you just the need the one for your make.

You can alter your wiring loom to accommodate the head unit as detailed above, but if you slip or screw it up that's it, no more chances. Get an extension lead and it should work straight away, if not, you can mod it to your hearts content as its not the main wiring loom :)

Ebay do some good deals on these, as some of these cables can be pricey.

Coffin Dodger 24 April 2007 05:29 PM

Thought we had an ICE forum :wonder:

(Should have another for those who have yet to master English, use of computer keyboards, spelling and grammar :mad: )

funkyspider 24 April 2007 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 6864938)

(Should have another for those who have yet to master English, use of computer keyboards, spelling and grammar :mad: )

Maybe someone who recently found the site and, to date, has two posts did not notice the ICE forum (I'm sure Coffin Dodger actually meant welcome to scoobynet I hope you are finding the site welcoming and helpful thus far).

Maybe we whould have yet another forum for intollerant would-be moderators in which posts deemed unsuitable for could be removed giving a sense of power and supremecy. :D

Welcome to scoobynet kaywacker :thumb:
It sounds like you have already cut the wires to fit the stereo, if so do as suggested and use a multimeter to identify the permanent live.

pitcha44 24 April 2007 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 6864938)

maybe its because no 1 reads it in there. :wonder:

totalllama 24 April 2007 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 6864915)
Had the same issue with my pioneer head unit. The fix was a trip to Halfords to get a connector that fits the standard Subaru wiring loom to the Pioneer head unit. Different brands of head units can use different connectors, you just the need the one for your make.

You can alter your wiring loom to accommodate the head unit as detailed above, but if you slip or screw it up that's it, no more chances. Get an extension lead and it should work straight away, if not, you can mod it to your hearts content as its not the main wiring loom :)

Ebay do some good deals on these, as some of these cables can be pricey.

Agreed, this way you dont have to cut into your car loom or HU wiring, if your confident with car electronics then you go for the splicing and soldering route.

For the loom see Car Audio Direct, Subaru adaptor. One end plugs into HU and the other into the cars loom.

Robin Mullan 24 April 2007 08:14 PM

I have memory problems with my head unit, its usually after 8 pints.;)

Hope this helps.:thumb:

kaywacker 26 April 2007 01:37 PM

cheers

Thanks for all the help, sorry if i posted in the wrong area seems to be some slightly intolerant scooby drivers out there though!!!!

thanks again for feedback problem on the way to being solved