Arrgh, stolen !

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2007, 12:03 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrgh, stolen !

Well its happened

Woke up to find My STi gone, theives broke in through the rear patio doors (pulled the barrel out of the lock), took the keys and gone.

Trackstar can't find it, and Direct line give it 48 hours then pay up.

Ahhh well, time for the Gap insurance to refund me the 26k for a 3 1/2 year old car

Annnnd, got a 1989 911 3.2 Carrera with only 20k miles, full Porche service history and in perfect as new condition on the way
Old 20 April 2007, 12:11 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C

Annnnd, got a 1989 911 3.2 Carrera with only 20k miles, full Porche service history and in perfect as new condition on the way
Sorry to hear your news - nasty.

Porsche sounds great though - I love the 80's 911's.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:17 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Also seem very sure they wont find it in one piece, Maybe you should be aware that insurance brokers read this forum, as whether intentional or not it does sound like you had it set up. I'd be surprised if they pay out after 48hrs..

You don't happen to have had it up for sale recently too do you ?

What colour, spec etc I'll keep an eye out for it or parts of it as I'm from your area.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:26 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Black 53 plate STi, unmodified, mint.

Its been gone over 48 hours now and Direct line are going to pay up, even if it turns up now (though they said I could buy it back if it does).

It's a bloody nightmare, but should turn out alright in the end.
Old 20 April 2007, 02:46 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Well its happened

Woke up to find My STi gone, theives broke in through the rear patio doors (pulled the barrel out of the lock), took the keys and gone.

Trackstar can't find it, and Direct line give it 48 hours then pay up.

Ahhh well, time for the Gap insurance to refund me the 26k for a 3 1/2 year old car

Wonder how long it will be before car insurers demand owners set their house alarms at night
Old 20 April 2007, 09:57 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you m8. I also had a car lifted and it turned up burned out...
Old 20 April 2007, 10:56 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

did trackstar say why they couldnt find it? and tbh mate you dont seem to be that bothered that its gone?!?! no offence mate
Old 21 April 2007, 12:01 AM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

My MY05STI in black was STOLEN on tuesday.

Went to work got call at 13.30hrs off a friend telling me that my car is at a junction 100yards from my house.

Thief had broken into house through patio doors and car was taken on keys.

Car was totally undamaged and is now tucked up in a relatives garage whilst home security is beefed up..

Car was saved by Black Jax and I am so glad I still have mine.
Old 21 April 2007, 01:51 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

- nothing is safe anymore
Old 21 April 2007, 07:40 AM
daz_don1
Scooby Regular

insurance money or not i would be gutted if they had mine

hope its all sorted m8
Old 22 April 2007, 04:07 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I was just relieved that none of the kids went down stairs that night.

Its funny, never had a car stolen and I was very pi$$ed off however, my Dad called yesterday and asked if I want to buy his Carrera.

The Impreza world round here is filling up with right ****'s and in a way I'm glad to be out of it. So that plus the Carrera means Im not actually that bothered, strange but true.

Several cars were stolen around the area that night, looks like a ring of professional car theives.

Strange thing, I did see a black BMW a few days before in the street and thought they were looking at the house nextdoor that was for sale. They looked a bit rough and I was not that happy they were looking at the house but they were probably looking at the cars.

Last edited by Gary C; 22 April 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 22 April 2007, 04:33 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

its becoming a joke now, its like you have hide the keys in a safe overnight. mind you i have 3 sets of keys now and 4 tracker cards 1 set of keys are kept with me along with the tracker card 24/7 even take them on holidays and lock them in the safe of the hotel, 1 set of keys at my nans house in leicster with a card, and the other set and 2 cards are at my brothers place in cheam, you can never be too careful nowadays.

sorry about your loss mate atleast the insurance co. paid up quicktime otherwise it would of been a nightmare and a half.
Old 17 May 2007, 06:51 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Still waiting for direct line to pay up. IM's finance are dragging their heels and direct line won't pay up until they have got a figure from them !

Anyway, can't wait until I have the rumble of an even bigger boxer engine 3.2 flat 6
Old 17 May 2007, 07:04 PM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

My supra was taken in similiar circumstances and was 12wks before I got a sniff of a payout. As tehy wanted to check local CCTV and that takes time etc.

If they pay out with a amonth I'd think your doing well.

As for hiding locking your keys , em not sure, not with kids in the house as its not worth the risk of them rampaging through the house to get them.

Its a sad state of affairs but if they want it they'll get it one way or the other.
Old 17 May 2007, 07:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Its when it comes to the GAP payment it all slows down. The GAP people wanna pay as little as poss, as do the insurer, but somehow between them, they know the required figure.

Gutted for your loss mate, but tbh unless I was stranded or had irreplacable items in the car, I would be the same, thats what insurance is for after all.

Im thinking about asking my mate (tracker installer) to re do mine. As the unit is almost always put in the same place, arial in the same place etc etc.
Pretty useless really when you see where they put them
Old 29 May 2007, 05:28 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Think moving the tracker would be a very good idea, if they got it back then the insurance company could not complain that you had moved it, if they did'nt get it back, then who's to know !

In someways I'm glad it did not show up, i would always have been driving it wondering if they did any damage.

What we really need is a dummy key that only lets them drive the car 10 miles before it conks out (10 miles is to far for them to walk back)

New car is going in the garage (its actually empty now !), and a wall is being built between the two halves, wheel clamp is ready and extra locks for the garage doors.

Hope they never come back.
Old 29 May 2007, 05:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed for ya mate.

Im looking to replace mine very soon, so the Tracker will be being re installed, and by my mate in a very different place.
Nothing more alarming than seeing a Tracker engineer guess first time where each componant of the system is.
I want mine hidden, not just behind the same panel as everyone elses.

Did the GAP get sorted, new car sorted yet?
Old 29 May 2007, 05:56 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

does that mean you get paid out twice?
Old 29 May 2007, 06:10 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-kris
does that mean you get paid out twice?
No its insurance you can get on finance to stop you owing money on a car you don't have.

Take £10,000 finance for example. at 10% interest for a year you owe £11,000 but as soon as you've put some miles on the car it is worth less so an insurance pay out might be £9000 so you owe £2000 on a car you don't even have anymore.

Gap insurance covers that differrence for you. Can't see why it is taking so long for them to payout though!

5t.
Old 29 May 2007, 06:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

They took a while to settle mine while they squabbled with the insurance to see who was paying what. That took a couple of weeks. Even got a cheque for the balance from the insurance

GAP can save your *** at times.
Missus confused me today saying about GAP, saying you could get GAP on outright cash purchases too, which dont sound right to me.

In other words, buy a car cash, drive it for 2 years 11 months, wreck it,and get the invoice value back. That seems to be the pretense that the policies are being sold under.

Kris, you have PM
Old 29 May 2007, 07:09 PM
IRC450STI
Scooby Regular

I was just relieved that none of the kids went down stairs that night.

Its funny, never had a car stolen and I was very pi$$ed off however, my Dad called yesterday and asked if I want to buy his Carrera.

The Impreza world round here is filling up with right ****'s and in a way I'm glad to be out of it. So that plus the Carrera means Im not actually that bothered, strange but true.

Several cars were stolen around the area that night, looks like a ring of professional car theives.

Strange thing, I did see a black BMW a few days before in the street and thought they were looking at the house nextdoor that was for sale. They looked a bit rough and I was not that happy they were looking at the house but they were probably looking at the cars.
thats so strange cos to blokes pulled up out side my house while i was working on car in a black BMW just the other day and they were asking alot of Qs about my car started to tell them about it then stopped, thinking why, they drove off but stopped up street for a bit then drove off again, it may or may not have anything to do with your situation but will take extra care anyway cos my car sticks out like a sore thumb (black classic with scoobyclinic graphics down the side) was at sso at weekend with the clinic.
Old 29 May 2007, 11:12 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Blackjack does this doesn't it?

TX.

What we really need is a dummy key that only lets them drive the car 10 miles before it conks out (10 miles is to far for them to walk back).
Old 30 May 2007, 09:23 AM
dreamer_girl
Scooby Regular

You can use GAP for a cash purchase, its called Return to Invoice - instead of covering the remaining finance, it pays the difference between what the insurance company paid out, and what you paid for the car int he first place.

I used it once - took a few months to sort the arguments out (Gap said the insurers had undervalued the car) which was quite stressful but it saved me a few k in the end (9 month old car was written off)
Old 30 May 2007, 09:33 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Ahhh well, time for the Gap insurance to refund me the 26k for a 3 1/2 year old car "

Surely the insurance company will only pay out what a 3 1/2 year old car is worth, which would be about £14k?

Unless you have a very generous insurance company?
Old 30 May 2007, 09:39 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Quote:
"Ahhh well, time for the Gap insurance to refund me the 26k for a 3 1/2 year old car "

Surely the insurance company will only pay out what a 3 1/2 year old car is worth, which would be about £14k?

Thats the point of GAP insurance mate, it pays the difference so you effectively get back the value of your car when you bought it.
Old 30 May 2007, 09:43 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

True, but the idea behind the Gap, is that it fills the gap between what the car is currently worth (market value) and what is left owing on it.

I insisted on having it with mine, as the deal seemed too good to be true. When my 1st Scoob was nearly written off, the Gap guys were brilliant tbh

A VERY worthwhile addtional purchase/deal clincher. Every Subaru/High Performance/pricey car owner should have it

And for those that are skeptical about the poster's lack of concern.....
it's a car. A piece of metal. That's why we pay so much for insurance. At the end of the day, the key thing nobody/family was involved or hurt. Time it move on. Fair play to you with the Porsche

Dan

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Quote:

Old 30 May 2007, 09:45 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Can't understand why you chaps don't hide your keys in your house. I make a habit of it.
Old 01 June 2007, 09:35 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
True, but the idea behind the Gap, is that it fills the gap between what the car is currently worth (market value) and what is left owing on it.
Actually I have VRIP insurance (often refered to as GAP) VRIP is vehicle replacement insurance protection and it is meant to pay the difference between the cars current value (as paid for by the main insurance company) and the cars purchase price upto a limit £10,000.

Direct line are paying £14,000 so the gap will pay £10,000 and the cover cost me £300 for 3 years cover starting in the second year of ownership, worth it !.

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555

Fair play to you with the Porsche

Dan
Thanks, can't wait, but I'm still waiting for the insurance cheque (apparently it has to be signed by a manager when over 10K)

As to hiding the keys, probably ok most of the time, but I would not like the risk of them coming upstairs.

Last edited by Gary C; 01 June 2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01 June 2007, 10:11 AM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1
Can't understand why you chaps don't hide your keys in your house. I make a habit of it.

As Gary C just said, if they`re intent on having my car then they can have it. Its insured and thats enough for me. Im not prepared to risk baseball bat wielding thugs coming upstairs to me and my wife and battering us for the keys which are hidden.
I reckon they`d want to be in and out asap and thats fine as i`d like that too if it was to happen.
Old 01 June 2007, 05:59 PM
Zeon
Scooby Regular

You should of disabled the keys so they couldn't drive it away. Handy feature when you go on holiday etc.

Quick Reply: Arrgh, stolen !