Sponsored by:

rattling sqeaky noise 06 STi

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2007, 07:37 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling sqeaky noise 06 STi

got this awful irratating rattle/sqeak coming from the top of the rear window on my 06 sti..its not the spoiler or the lining trim but appears to coming from the glass in the middle at the top of the rear window..anyone else got this ..could it be the glass seal?
Old 19 April 2007, 07:50 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Theres been plenty with this noise,its the glass locating plastic pegs,do a search and you will find the cure.JAY
Old 19 April 2007, 08:02 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Got rid of my rattle last weekend. Remove the plastic covers where the seatbelts reel out, pull back the roof lining a little and cut off the locating pegs in the top corners of the windscreen. I used a stanley knife and then lifted off the rest of the item from the winscreen. It is stuck on with double sided tape.
I removed the back seats as I couldn't get the plastic covers to go back on without the seats removed.
When I first saw the offending item I thought that they surely couldn't be making the rattling noise. Rest assured the noise has now gone

Chris.
Old 19 April 2007, 08:23 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

nice one i will give it a go this weekend..what do the locating pegs do?
Old 19 April 2007, 08:48 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

My son's STI has had similar rattles in his MY04 STI, various visits to the dealer and replacement rear offside dampers but still no cure I wonder if it is this problem?

To be honest it was these irritations which lead me away from Subaru, I'm at that stage in my life I am afraid easily rattled at the slightest irritation so to speak if you pardon the pun
Old 20 April 2007, 12:49 AM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
Got rid of my rattle last weekend. Remove the plastic covers where the seatbelts reel out, pull back the roof lining a little and cut off the locating pegs in the top corners of the windscreen. I used a stanley knife and then lifted off the rest of the item from the winscreen. It is stuck on with double sided tape.
I removed the back seats as I couldn't get the plastic covers to go back on without the seats removed.
When I first saw the offending item I thought that they surely couldn't be making the rattling noise. Rest assured the noise has now gone

Chris.
Do the small covers that the belts come out just pop off? just they seemed a bit "firm" to me and didn't want to knacker them! lol
Old 20 April 2007, 10:10 AM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

I have just had mine in at the dealer for this exact problem. I told them It was the rear windscreen and they confirmed it was a common fault for which there is a service bulletin issued by Subaru to fix it. On picking the car up they now inform me that it is actually the rear struts which need replacing. I am not convinced. Will investigate it myself I think this weekend. How easy it is to get the rear seats out? Dont really want to spend all day on it as its still under warranty. Very annoying rattle that seems to come and go.
Old 20 April 2007, 06:46 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

come on scoobweb the weekend is looming and theres going to be a few of us trying to do the fix
Old 20 April 2007, 08:45 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
come on scoobweb the weekend is looming and theres going to be a few of us trying to do the fix
yep ive got a similar problem did a quick check awhile ago and noticed one of the pegs wasn't lined up properly but mine doesn't creak all the time only on some occasions not sure how easy it will be to get the pegs out
Old 20 April 2007, 08:56 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I had this in my MY05 STi from new... really really annoyed me, ended up being the pegs as mentioned above.

Sorted by Sparshatts at its service and now its quiet
Old 20 April 2007, 09:13 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Ok sorry guys just logged on.

Right the locating pegs are purely there to help the robots locate the rear screen during assembly and are not needed at all. The plastic cover where the seatbelt mounts, just pulls off it is held in with plastic peg type things. I pulled them from the top area and they came off easily, beware as the pegs can fall off the back of the plastic cover and fall down the internal bodywork, if you are removing the rear seats then this will not be a problem as you can easily get your arm down the gap to retrieve them. The rear seats are a doddle to remove I think there are just 2 bolts holding the bottom seat on the front edge and 4 or 5 bolts holding the top seat. you just remove the bolts and lift the seat upwards to unhook it. The hardest part is holding all the seatbelts out the way to slide the seat out of the car, I got the wife to help with this.
Really guys it is a very easy task to perform and should only take 30 - 40 mins start to finish.

Hope this helps, Chris.
Old 20 April 2007, 09:28 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chris
Old 21 April 2007, 12:48 AM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

thanks chris
Old 21 April 2007, 09:27 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Gents had a look this morning and i took the the 4 retaining plugs from the roof lining and pulled the roof lining down about 6 inch and right in the middle of the window at the top is some kind of Velcro type fixing between the glass and the frame and it moved making the dreaded noise so i just pulled it out and the noise as gone..MY06 .
please let us know if this cure yours only took 5 minutes to do
Old 21 April 2007, 11:47 AM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
Gents had a look this morning and i took the the 4 retaining plugs from the roof lining and pulled the roof lining down about 6 inch and right in the middle of the window at the top is some kind of Velcro type fixing between the glass and the frame and it moved making the dreaded noise so i just pulled it out and the noise as gone..MY06 .
please let us know if this cure yours only took 5 minutes to do

Its ironic but whilst parked up yesterday on my lunch hour I did exactly the same thing and took the plugs out of the roof lining to investigate the noise. I too removed this bit of plastic with bobbles on it in the middle of the window and (touch wood) it would appear that the noise has also gone. I never heard a ratlle once whilst driving home from work last night.