Sponsored by:

High Mileage Turbos How Good-Any Problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 07:33 PM
peevee---
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I am selling my 96000 mile UK Turbo and I wanted to know who else is running a high mileage car and what if any problems or not you have, i.e do they perform as well as when first bought or like a fine wine do they just get better with time and miles on the clock.
DOGMAN THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT MUCH APRECIATED.
regards,
peevee
Old 20 November 2000, 08:29 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Hi, mine's a 108K miler, M reg and still going strong. Regularly serviced, oil change evry 3k miles (ish) as I don't do too many miles. Last problem was replacing a seal on driver side rocker cover, which previously gave off an awful aroma. I'm gonna keep it for a long time yet!
Old 21 November 2000, 12:32 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Peevee,

Spooky, as I was about to post something identical. Since I've written it out in Word anyway I may as well post here;

START
Ok, I'm probably going to regret this, even though I like to think I'm not superstitious, but….
I've done 111k miles in my MY95 turbo now and I was wondering whether anyone else has a high mileage car and would like to know of any problems to expect in the future.

I've had the usual cam (crank?) sensor replaced about 20k ago, but apart from that I've had no other problems (this is were the superstitious bit comes in ) The car has FSSH. I can honestly say it's the most reliable car I've driven and certainly does not feel like it's covered over 100k. I read the CK1 heart attack thread with interest, which I understand has done about 70k, but I suspect it was driven harder than mine.

Does anyone have any experience with a high mileage Impreza turbos???

Right, I'm off to join the AA…
END

So in answer to your question, I don't think the high miles I've put on it have made much of a difference. It does sound a little bit looser, but I think this is just the alt/PS belts. The engine itself still pulls very well and still get the comments on it's acceleration ("blimey, I didn't know cars could do that! It feels like an areoplane!"), so perfomance is still there.

Actually, there is one other small problem. The PS pump has a small leak. I'm debating whether to replace it or just refill every service.

As per my quote above, I'm planning on keeping it for a few more years yet, but as I do look after it and don't drive it too hard I hope it will last

What's the hights milege for a UK trubo here? Anyone know?

If anyone else has a high miler or any comments, please post.

Cheers
Old 21 November 2000, 12:35 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was talking to a guy at ScoobySport, when I was picking up my wheels 6 months ago.

His car was an N-reg UK car, and 110,000 miles on it. No major problems, apparently.
Old 21 November 2000, 09:45 AM
peevee---
Scooby Regular

So nobody owns a high mileage turbo or has this subject been dun already ??????????
peevee
Old 21 November 2000, 01:09 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a series McRae which I bought with 90K on it..It had been 'busy' as the owner put it.

The car had been regularly serviced from new, but had the turbo replaced at 75K. It ran like a dream but was plagued by an irritating whine in 3rd gear. I had it checked by Lockyears when I got it and they said apart from the gear problem it was 'sound' for at least another 50K...so drive on guys..bullet proof engines they have..
Old 21 November 2000, 01:22 PM
Jantec1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Got 85k on an My96. Just done standard dealer maintenance but at the recent belt change (brought forward to change crank oil seal and pulley coming loose) I also got the waterpump and belt tensioner changed(probably a waste of time but as everything else was off) plus cam cover seal.

Goes like a rocket. Quiet and smooth engine. No oil leaks.

Why are there problems with the MY97s, 98s, 99s .. are the older (big turbo) engines better?

Jantec.
Old 21 November 2000, 01:39 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Wink

My first Scooby had just over 70k on the clock when I bought it and it was completely reliable for the year I owned it, just regular servicing and a new set of tyres...

Out of interest, if the current owner of L304 RET is on this board, I'd love to know how the car is...
Old 21 November 2000, 01:53 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a MY97 and it has 114,ooo. I am the second owner and ive had no problems so far with it. Power seems to be fine, i have added an unichip,s/s downpipe and back box and K&n filter. It goes as well as a MY00 modified. I think millage these days is not really an issue as long as it has subaru service history. I bought the car 10 months ago with 105,000 miles on it and it has been the most enjoyable 9000 miles i have ever driven
Old 21 November 2000, 06:43 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

MY95 72,000 on the clock now. Cam position sensor replaced and power steering leak fixed, no other problems.

It covers about 10,000 a year now, serviced every six months and only synthetic oil used.

I don't use a Subaru dealer for servicing but the local garage I use buy genuine parts from the dealer in Lye.
Old 23 November 2000, 09:28 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

Smile

M reg just done 101K. I've had it 2 years, with FSSH, and the only problem I've had was a leaking oil seal (£4 at a service). Had to put new rear discs on recently, but other than that, sweet as a nut. Service next week.....gulp....where was that bit of wood...
Old 24 November 2000, 12:51 AM
MattT2
Scooby Regular

I'm up to 92K now and all is well is basically well. Slight PS pump leak (not a problem). Radiator replaced recently (plastic split). But my biggest problem is rust... See
Old 24 November 2000, 07:58 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Andrew Timmins, my MY92 has a slight P.A.Steering leak where was yours from?

Cheers
Trev.
Old 24 November 2000, 09:03 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello,

I have an N Reg with 97k Miles on the Clock.

At about 87k the Engine suffered a broken valve spring and therfore a huge compression loss. I had only had it 3 weeks and the dealer (TH Wite) sorted the whole thing under warrenty and even replaced the clutch for free. (They are a good dealer!)

My 95k Service cost £500 !!! but I had prodrive pads fitted.

The interior is in excellent condition, everything is better than most new cars I go in, but I have not driven a newer turbo to benchmak it against.

There are quite a few dings in the paint, but thats not the cars fault!

The other non-scooby problem was that it had an after market sun roof that was badly fitted. this lead to rusting on the roof!. I had a new bigger sunroof fitted that cut out the rust and all is now fine.

It has been services on the dot by the same dealer since new.
Old 24 November 2000, 01:03 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Peevee,
So that's why you never bought the door
glass off me. When U sell the car tell the
new owner he can have the glass for £25!
SteveC
Old 24 November 2000, 01:28 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Mines a 100K my95 with no more problems than have already been stated, minor oil leeks and consumable items like brakes, cambelts etc (still on the original clutch and turbo though ). Looks like leaky power steering pumps are a common fault on high milers then.....

As for the sunroof, Identical problem to Grantourismo, badly fitted and gone rusty. Tried to catch it early and got the roof resprayed but there are signs of bubbling again. I'd like to know how much a larger sunroof costs cos that'll be my next option.

Another question: Has anyone modded the ECU on a high miler. I want to but I'm not sure if it will kill the engine.....

Still as sweet as a nut though