Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gatsos..defunct now then ??

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2000, 01:19 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been working too hard lately and become a mushroom so no ridicule please.

with the latest government stupidity to not have to 'name the driver' when your car has been captured on film by your local gatso, what's the score with all this...can I name the dog as the driver and get away with it ??

anyone else been caught and what did you do..

just curious..and no I've not had a polaroid done..I would break the speed limits..that's illegal
Old 21 November 2000, 01:31 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

I take it you are referring to Article 6 of the European Commission for Human Rights.

If you look at
Old 21 November 2000, 01:38 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Apparently, that's why they are now starting to use forward facing cameras so that you don't have to incriminate yourself - the photo of your mug will do it for you, and them!!

Also, I've heard that the cost of the admin of dealing with a ticket that is sent back with an attatched letter claiming the Human Rights stuff costs them more to process than the ticket makes them so they end up throwing them away. So, if you get a ticket, contest it on Human Rights grounds anyway and you may well find it all goes away.

Anyone actually done this and can confirm it works?

Matt.

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 21 November 2000).]
Old 21 November 2000, 01:43 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mutant-matt

You'll be OK if you get flashed cause anyone looking at your mug shot will never believe that you could drive fast enough to get nicked "Must be a problem with the camera" they'd say.

[This message has been edited by RB170 (edited 21 November 2000).]
Old 21 November 2000, 01:44 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

So what am I bid for my John Prescott mask .... ?
Old 21 November 2000, 01:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

i contested a gatso speeding ticket by writing and saying i was not doing the speed they posted, i didnt say i wasnt speeding, because i was.

They sent me a standard letter back saying naughty boy, dont do it again!! and dropped all proceedings!!

They want your money guys, they dont give a **** about the law, contest it.

This was on a dual carriageway in the middle of nowhere and it pi$$ed me off, so much for putting them in accident black spots, which was how they got them through parliament, remember!!
Old 21 November 2000, 01:59 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well, they positioned a man in a van just round the corner from where a 60 goes into a 30 zone, I was following the flow of the traffic in front, reckon i'd dropped to 37 approx.. was just about to slow down more but was too busy looking at this van with stuff in the back, went past it, and it was a police van... his tape may have run out just as I got there as he seemed to get out of the van as I passed him!.. should have ignored the van!.. when I went back and asked him, politely I may add, he spoke to me like i was something on the bottom of his shoe, and wouldnt tell me either way.

Serving the public, suspect that doesnt include politeness

So, just wait and see, at the end of the day I was speeding effectively, so cant really complain.

[This message has been edited by DrEvil (edited 21 November 2000).]
Old 22 November 2000, 01:01 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Dr Evil,
I have been thinking about this, but did they not have to put up signs warning of Gatsos because a photo taken without the knowledge of the person being photographed was insubmissable in a court of law? I think there may be something tied in with that similar to the data protection act where you are entitled to info held about you by a third party. I am not sure on this at all, but if it is the case then he may have been breaking the law by not telling you whether or not you were on film.
I would try and forget about it and hope you do not hear anything in the next couple of weeks, if you do though it might be worth checking out.
Does anyone know the ins and outs of the taking photos thing, because if you joined a piece of road after the signs, but before the cameras you would not know that you were getting your picture taken, therefore it could not be used in court? Just an idea.
Old 22 November 2000, 01:08 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Robertio

Thanks for the info, I have stop'd my whinging to be honest, end of the day regardless of circumstance the signs are there to tell you that roughly by the time you read them you should be doing what they say (30 in this case), and certainly very shortly afterwards you should @ the speed enforced. They've had gatso signs up for a while, I travel this bit of road regularly.
My own fault, take was comin' to me.

Wait and see the result.

Cheers all, Alex
Old 24 November 2000, 08:59 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

As an aside to this last night i was travelling through some road works where one lane of a duel carrigeway was coned off for repair. The speed limit of the road is usually 50mph but has been reduced to 30mph for the safety of its workers (Totally fair enough). So why were there two police officers sitting at the end of the road works trying to catch people spending at 12:05 AM! despite the fact no workers were on site or even machinery, the avalible lane was pretty wide also, so why, are they that skint?

Just like to point out they didn't stop me even though I was doing less than 40mph. Just wondered haven't they got criminals to catch rather than waste time catching people travelling down a perfectly safe bit of road for its circumstances.

Trev.
Old 24 November 2000, 11:39 AM
GM
Scooby Regular

I know someone who works for the Crown Office (the people who prosecute you in Scotland). We were talking about this six months or so ago and he said Crown Office wouldn't take things any further if someone went down the "sorry, can't tell you, might be self incriminating" route.

There was a story going around that there was an appeal on this subject which might change things though - don't know if anything's changed.

I can give him a ring if anyone's got a Scottish piccie that's worrying them.

George