Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone willing to help me look at a MY99 Classic tomorrow (Monday 9th April) ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2007, 12:03 AM
Full English
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone willing to help me look at a MY99 Classic tomorrow (Monday 9th April) ?

Hi all,

Does any here fit the following criteria...

...is free tomorrow...
...is in the south-east area (around the M25 / J9)...
...is fairly knowledgeable about classic Subaru's...
...is kind enough to help me look at a Subaru...
...and likes the taste of a free beer...

Please PM me.

I'm off to look at, test drive and kick the tyres on a potential car. If it's up to scratch, I'd like to put down a deposit. I would much rather do so with the help of an enthusiast helping me what to look for and checking 'regular gremlins' that I do not know about.

I'll be happy to pay towards fuel

Thanks, James
Old 09 April 2007, 03:22 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Sorry, wrong side of the M25 for me. Assume you're talking about a UK classic. In which case here's a list of bits and bobs to look out for.

1) Make sure the car hasn't been warmed up before you arrive. Car should start first time with turn of the key and no need to put your foot on the accelerator.

2) Listen out for tapping noises when car is started. Sign of piston slap. But unlikely on a MY99. Also, check for blue smoke when throttle is blipped.

3) Check uneven wear on the tyres. Check turning circle and no dodgy noises. Check brake discs aren't pitted/cracked

4) Check for rust. Specifically look at where the seal runs round the front windscreen and meets the pillars and roof, look round the wheel arches too. Also look out for where seat belts may have got caught against paintwork when doors where closed.

5) Check for oil leaks. I think the UK MY99 has an undertray. If the owner will let you remove it to see then great. Either way get on your back and have a look underneath the car.

6) Check the VIN code and paint code - Steve's Eta Tauri Site - UK Model codes

7) If it has air-con then check it. Can be expensive to replace bits if its anything than just a refill.

8) Not sure what mileage it has done but check sevice history against this detail - Subaru Impreza FAQ. If its done over 45k miles then check the timing belt has been replaced.

9) Check all the fluids. Oil dipstick reading is taken between the two dots/holes in the stick representing min and max - and not the notches on the side.

10) Lift the boot liner and check for any dodgy body work. In the boot should also be spare wheel, jack, and mini toolkit.

11) Check all switches and electrics (ie, take time pushing buttons and checking lights come on, etc)

12) Driving checks
- Clutch bite point should be about half way up the pedal travel. Check for slippage by putting it in 5th at 70mph and flooring it. Revs should increase in line with road speed when the boost comes on.
- Turbo should kick in about 3500rpm on a UK classic. You'll hear the turbo spin up just beforehand (as long as it doesn't have a noisy exhaust anyway).
- Check that braking is smooth and no vibrations through the wheel that might mean warped brake disks.
- The interior will probably rattle (could be anything). But don't worry too much, try and focus on how the engine sounds.

But the best advice I can give is to write a check list including the above, take a clipboard and physically check things off against the list as you go round the car.
Old 09 April 2007, 09:21 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

that is one hell of a comprehensive list ..cant go wrong with that.
Old 09 April 2007, 09:29 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that`s good advice, some good folks on here............
Old 09 April 2007, 09:32 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I would add:

Listen to the car carefully when warmed up and idling. If the revs don't hold steady at about 800, then there could be a problem with the MAF sensor or Lambda sensor.
Old 09 April 2007, 06:29 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Well ... did you buy it?
Old 09 April 2007, 06:36 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Only just seen this thread and i only live about 20 mins from junction 9

So did you get it mate and if you did you should get the the Sussex site

http://www.sussexscoobies.co.uk

James
Old 09 April 2007, 09:38 PM
Full English
Scooby Newbie

Default Deposit is down

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies & useful information and also thanks to PuppetMaster who was ready to meet me and help me check the car over

I phoned the dealer in the morning and didn't get a response. I tried calling again an hour or so later and still no answer so I assume he was closed for the bank holiday

As I need a car by the end of this week it was back to the drawing board and back to the auto-trader for another browse to see what was about.

I stumbled across another car I liked and made some enquires. The car seemed very nice. An HPI check later all was clear, so I made the 80 mile trip to see the car. I made my mind up as soon as I saw it! I tested the car, kicked the tyres, checked the paperwork, haggled on the price and put down a deposit.

Tomorrow I'll be picking her up:

WARNING: May not be to your taste!

She's a 328i Sport Coupe, 1 owner, full history.

Thanks again all. Great site

Last edited by Full English; 09 April 2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09 April 2007, 09:40 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Weirdest looking Impreza I've ever seen Look at the little baby spolier, ain't that cute
Old 10 April 2007, 09:13 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

USED CAR ROADSHOW

£3 hpi usefull if your looking at a few motors
txt

checkurc regno

to 88600
tells you if its scrapped ever been written off, police interest etc