ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

buying advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2007, 11:07 AM
GeeJayDoubleYou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying advice?

as ive mentioned in an earlier post the choices with getting an impreza seem very varied! price range is massive to start of with, then do you go for modiffied, unmoddified, low miles, high miles, with history, without history etc etc.

anyway my question is: ive seen a 99car that looks very nice indeed, the only downside is it has over a 100k on the clock however it does have a FSSH. pricewise hes looking around 4500. what would your advice be about getting a car like this with a FSSH? there are quite alot of import low milers but obviously no history (this cars a uk model). so do i get a low miler with no or very limited history or a higher mileage car that does benefit with history? i know you get what you pay for so in an ideal world i would be spending £10,000 on a p1, however my budget is a more humble £4500

i want/need this car to give me 2 years of happy motoring and then i will be looking at getting a newer sti (not like my last impreza which i had for 4 weeks and then sold at a loss of £700 )

any advice appreciated chaps!!!
Old 08 April 2007, 11:49 AM
air.mech23
Scooby Regular

I've had an import and now got a mint low mileage, 2 owner, UK car with FSH. Personally, i'd go for a UK one with as much history as possible.

£4500 for 100k seems about right to me.

If you go import, go with a reputable dealer as a lot are accident damaged and clocked, ie Keighly Trade Centre and just about anywhere in West Yorkshire.

Imports are better spec but you can easily mod a standard UK car.

I'm sure other comments will follow........
Old 08 April 2007, 11:50 AM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

if you buy a uk car you will get a newer reg than an import because on an import you get more bits standard, so you pay more. If your keeping it for 2 years I would go for as new as you can get.there was a bogeye estate on the trader for 4k 2weeks ago,ok it was green,but cheap.uk cars have a lower ince group for some reason,you could always mod it later
Old 08 April 2007, 12:05 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Personally if that was me i wouldn`t touch a sports car thats done 100k + in mileage, it will probably be a minefield for things to go wrong regardless of how well it has been serviced and it could end up being a money pitt.

Cars like subaru`s are not bought for people to potter around in and it will have been driven hard so things like the gearbox, drive shafts, alternator, water pump, suspension etc etc only have a certain life span and then you have the bodwork and if its not been garaged overnight on a regular basis it could have quite a few patches of rust ready to break through.

Thats just my opinion with a car with that sort of milage and age.