Sponsored by:

bug eye wagon power upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2007, 06:02 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bug eye wagon power upgrade

Hi guys just bought a 2001 wrx wagon, which is 215 bhp how is it lower bhp ? what did subaru do over the saloon to lower the bhp, and what can I do to increase the power the cheapest way?
Old 01 April 2007, 10:23 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

afaik both wagon and saloon bugeyes were 215 bhp, perhaps the torque is slightly different due to their different load carrying capabilities ?

As for power upgrade by cheapest method........second hand stainless zorst system off s/net or ebay, fuel pump upgrade, then remap. You could see this for around 800.00 quid, giving say, 260 bhp.
Old 02 April 2007, 12:15 AM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

sounds good bob thanks for the info. off to ebay then for a look
Old 02 April 2007, 07:01 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Egnine is exactly the same between wagon and saloon. Some people quote power in Ps (which is 218), some in bhp (which is 215) which is where much of the confusion lies.

The engine is easily tunable to ~280bhp on standard turbo, by sorting exhaust (including up-pipe, makes a big difference on the bugs), a few Samco hoses and a suitable ECUTEK remap. Whilst I'd have no qualms about 2nd hand exhausts and hoses (although fitting the up-pipe can be a bit too much of a challenge for many people), I'd always look to get a "proper" re-map with a reputable mapper - they'll adjust everything to suit your car. A 2nd hand chip will either have been mapped to suit someone else's engine or be a "generic" map and so just never be as good.
Old 02 April 2007, 07:40 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

ARe the exhaust the same for the wagons as the saloons? or are they a different fitment?
Anybody know of anyparts going for my new scoob, picking it up thursday.
Old 02 April 2007, 10:51 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_xavier
ARe the exhaust the same for the wagons as the saloons? or are they a different fitment?
Anybody know of anyparts going for my new scoob, picking it up thursday.
One part that is a must and fairly rare imo, is the Prodrive sportscat downpipe. There is one on fleebay at the moment which could be a good purchase. I payed 160.00 for mine (new) off someone on here. They generally go for 100-200 quid depending on cond.As for the exhaust type I would bide my time if I was you and look at what style/sound you prefer as they can be quite different.
Old 02 April 2007, 11:03 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Subaru dealers are doing PPP fully installed for £995 insted of £1700 OK a bit pricey but its a good one to do, apparently it keeps the price of the scoob up.
Old 02 April 2007, 11:08 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russ71
Subaru dealers are doing PPP fully installed for £995 insted of £1700 OK a bit pricey but its a good one to do, apparently it keeps the price of the scoob up.
Good idea for a nearly new car, still within warranty. In this instance, for a 2001 bug, I'd for for the custom Ecutek remap, sportscat dp & up-pipe, as suggested by hades and bob.

Andy
Old 03 April 2007, 09:14 AM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

What would be the difference in power and pick up between the ppp and doing the ecutek version and £'s to do.
Thanks for your help guys.
Old 03 April 2007, 06:57 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Typically sorting the up-pipe and sports cat downpipe with the right ecutek map will give 20bhp and similar torque over and above the PPP. It'll also spread the power band further due to earlier spool up and better breathing at high revs.

Price wise, you could do up-pipe, sports cat downpipe and centre decat combined with an ECUTEK at a reputable dealer in the £1k region, i.e very similar to the discounted PPP. Maybe a bit less with good exhaust parts second hand off ebay, a bit more with some brand new exhausts, but always less than the £1700 "full price" PPP.

To be honest with the WRX, I don't see that the Prodrive sports cat downpipe (which was designed for the STI after all) is a must. There are a lot of other sports cat downpipes which will give the same results (personally I do prefer the sports cat pipes to keep you emmissions legal). However, definitely agree with bob's comments about the noise levels from different systems being very different. Noise more than anything is determined by the backbox, so listen to several before buying (probably at local meets, maybe at a good aftermarket dealer). Some people find a lot of systems very loud, others find e.g. the prodrive backbox too quiet - all very much personal preference.
Old 03 April 2007, 08:15 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades

Some people find a lot of systems very loud, others find e.g. the prodrive backbox too quiet - all very much personal preference.

Agreed, I have a Prodrive backbox and find it pretty quiet. Still, I get lots of fresh in the car cos I always have the windows open so I can hear the burble.

Andy
Old 03 April 2007, 10:19 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have a look down

<----here
Old 03 April 2007, 10:34 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Agreed, I have a Prodrive backbox and find it pretty quiet. Still, I get lots of fresh in the car cos I always have the windows open so I can hear the burble.

Andy

I like the noise from my PPP, it is quiet enough for motorway driving, but give it a bit of welly and she growls like a good un and the window down is a must and find lots of tunnels as well
Old 03 April 2007, 10:38 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I like the noise from my PPP, it is quiet enough for motorway driving, but give it a bit of welly and she growls like a good un and the window down is a must and find lots of tunnels as well
Quite true. I guess if you have a "Blitz" then you don't look for tunnels. But the neighbours do look at you !

Will be interested to see if it is louder with a Ninja sportscat downpipe.
Old 04 April 2007, 11:47 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Was looking at the scoobyworld sports box and centre pipe, on my blob eye I had a scoobyworld ninja system which sounded great and the turbo spooled up quicker. At the moment its got a powerflow back box which is a bit rubbish. and the car doesnt pull as well as I want it too.
Old 04 April 2007, 11:56 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big_xavier
Was looking at the scoobyworld sports box and centre pipe, on my blob eye I had a scoobyworld ninja system which sounded great and the turbo spooled up quicker. At the moment its got a powerflow back box which is a bit rubbish. and the car doesnt pull as well as I want it too.
Did you have the Ninja backbox on your Blob ? With a full decat, wasn't that too noisy ? Or was it "just right" for the burble without annoying the neighbours ?
Old 05 April 2007, 10:28 AM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Quite true. I guess if you have a "Blitz" then you don't look for tunnels. But the neighbours do look at you !

Will be interested to see if it is louder with a Ninja sportscat downpipe.

True you wouldnt need tunnels just shares in Anadin
Old 05 April 2007, 05:25 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

True you wouldnt need tunnels just shares in Anadin

Old 05 April 2007, 11:13 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Middle and back on my blob and it sounded sweet, like a scooby should, not like a boy racer in a clio . Was thinking of something a little quieter in the new wagon cos you do seam to get a bit of drone through the boot floor which is part of the cabin in the estate. which is something I didnt think of at first. Need to meet up with and talk to fellow wagon drivers me thinks.
Old 05 April 2007, 11:24 PM
*smiles*
Scooby Regular

Cool Up the Wagons!

I think its all been said allready

..So good luck with the power upgrades and come and say hello on the wagon thread and post up some pics for us