Sponsored by:

buying an 03plate sti

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2007, 04:05 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an 03plate sti

In the next couple of months looking to upgrade from my L reg wrx to an 03 plate sti with ppp. Has anyone bought one recently? Do you rate them? and how much do think i will need to spend on one?? Thanks
Old 25 March 2007, 04:12 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want mate. Standard? Slightly modified?

I came from a UK97 turbo about two years ago. The Newage is certainly the better all round car in terms of refinement etc but it just did not get my pulse racing like my old classic even with the TSL 333 package fitted.

I've since spent thousands upgrading the car (new turbo and suspension set up etc) and I'm still not too sure whether I love the car. Not 100% sure I'd shell out the 19k again. In fact I do regret selling my classic for £7k.

03 ppp sell for around £12.5k upwards (mileage a consideration etc). Dont think I'd personally spend more than £13.5k now and that would be for a minter.
Old 25 March 2007, 04:27 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RLE
Depends what you want mate. Standard? Slightly modified?

I came from a UK97 turbo about two years ago. The Newage is certainly the better all round car in terms of refinement etc but it just did not get my pulse racing like my old classic even with the TSL 333 package fitted.

I've since spent thousands upgrading the car (new turbo and suspension set up etc) and I'm still not too sure whether I love the car. Not 100% sure I'd shell out the 19k again. In fact I do regret selling my classic for £7k.

03 ppp sell for around £12.5k upwards (mileage a consideration etc). Dont think I'd personally spend more than £13.5k now and that would be for a minter.

Atleast that`s an honest answer, i did the same with my evo, i had a Tommi Mak, sold that then i test drove the newer car, it didn`t do anything for me at all, i`m SO glad i bought my type ra, i love the rawness of it...

Imprezaworks, sorry for hi-jacking your post...
Old 25 March 2007, 04:34 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

So you rate the RA over your gorgeous Mak Satffi? Thats interesting. I was really considering coming to look at your Evo when it was for sale on the MLR. The missus was the only stumbling block at the time.............

Apologies also for hijacking your thread imprezaworks but at least the comments are relevant I guess
Old 25 March 2007, 04:37 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

If you want rawness in a newage then the spec c is the only way
Old 25 March 2007, 04:47 PM
eves
Scooby Regular

i went from a cliosport to a my04sti ppp its amazing love the attention, the sound, the looks, the speed etc.... havent looked back
Old 25 March 2007, 04:47 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Ah. and theres me thinking id made my mind up on my next car. Any other preferences on what to spend my hard earned cash on?
Old 25 March 2007, 04:50 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Nice motor eves. If i do buy one thats the kind of look i want.
Old 25 March 2007, 05:00 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezaworks
Nice motor eves. If i do buy one thats the kind of look i want.
Do you have a budget?

Do you know the differences between the jap spec sti's and uk sti's?
Old 25 March 2007, 05:52 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RLE
So you rate the RA over your gorgeous Mak Satffi? Thats interesting. I was really considering coming to look at your Evo when it was for sale on the MLR. The missus was the only stumbling block at the time.............

Apologies also for hijacking your thread imprezaworks but at least the comments are relevant I guess

Different car altogether mate, the RA hits 120mph in no time, not that the Mak was slow, but don`t forget the Mak was 380bhp, anti-lag etc, mines being mapped this week @ API so it will hopefully be around 320ish, that will make it a nice quickish road car. Isold the Tommi cus i couldn`t justify 18k worth of car just siiting in the garage i`ll probably end up spending that much on this though

I`ve just had a text from my mate @ Santa Pod, my old Mak has just done 13.1 quarter, not that brilliant considering, the RA with a good driver should do that standard....

Last edited by Pete; 25 March 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 25 March 2007, 06:01 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I rate them very highly if I must be frank.

In standard form the STI is very capable but for that extra edge I definitely recommend PPP and Prodrive springs.

I have a 53 plate STI and after fitting exhaust and pump mods, Powerstation did their majic to give 336bhp. ( I recomend this option)

As for suspension it can be a bit wooly? in standard form, but with the addition of atleast a set of springs should sort this out.

After 5 months of having mine modded, I have been on a bit of a drive today and it still shocked me how quick the thing is
Old 25 March 2007, 06:06 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCM
If you want rawness in a newage then the spec c is the only way
damn right,ill be making that move from classic to Spec C in a few weeks or so hopefully
Old 25 March 2007, 09:21 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I made the move a while back, but had 10 years break from them, so needs/wants changed.

As RLE says, you should get a minter for £13-13.5. There's plenty around, so if you're not completely happy, move on.

Don't be stubborn with the PPP. It was nice while the car was new, to keep you in warranty, but you'll be out of that now. So paying an extra £1k for the PPP would not sway it for me. Save the extra, buy standard, then get the likes of TSL333/PS et all packages are better. (circa £1500)

I love the newage STi. Feel more refined. Was nice to have a new(er) car. With the above package, springs, ARB and ALK. You will have one serious weapon. Corners don't exist and you'll need plastic surgery to remove the smile.
Old 26 March 2007, 01:38 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Bought an 03 STI last year. I paid 13.6 for it and I'm happy with the car. It's my first Subaru and I love it to bits. Its planned for the TSL 333 upgrade with the PE exhaust, new flywheel, clutch and ceramic wrapped unequal length headers.

Probably because I never owned a classic, but I would not have one now as I do think they look dated (P1 and 22B aside).

If I ever have a bad day, I take the car out and there is a bridge near me that has a twisty road underneath that is great for putting a smile on your face. If you park under the bridge, the echo from the engine always makes me grin.

Probably say its the best car I've ever owned.

Cheers

Matt