Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP what do I buy WRX STi, New Home Cinema or a different car.

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2001, 07:16 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right went to home cinema shop today and looked spending £10,000 to buy new projector,screen and sound system.
But then other half said well its that or the new STI WRX.
Hmmmm, I have a MY99 turbo at the moment.
What do I do :
1, Buy the home cinema system
2, Put a deposit down on WRX STi
3, Consider another car in the price range but what.

Help loosing sleep on this.
Old 08 December 2001, 07:21 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

My heart bleads for you - decisions, decisions

Oh to have £10k to spend

Put it down as 1st payment on a P1
Old 08 December 2001, 09:37 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Have both

For 5K you can have a craking system ie: Denon 3802 amp, Kef 2005 speaker system and a Tosh 50" rear projecter or a Sony projecter and screen. Mail me if you want any further info. And then put the rest on a new car.

Tim
Old 09 December 2001, 11:19 AM
simonma
Scooby Regular

10K? would have to be a good system.

You can do it cheaper.

I've got a 3 yr old Epson projector cost me 600 squid second hand.
Top of the range JVC VCR 600 squid
Sherwood Dolby Digital amp. 300 squid. Always meant to change it when I had more money. Now I have I won't this is ample.
Eltax speakers. Fantastic sub woof and centre. 1200 squid.

So all in 2700-3000. The projector is the costly bit. Sony do a new one I'm looking at which can be placed anywhere in the room. Uses some clever image processing to get image square. Means you can have it hidden next to a couch rather than a large roof mount.

I also have a decent scoob. ha ha

Si
Old 09 December 2001, 11:29 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

My home cinema consists of 4 Definative Technology speakers with 6 inch subs in base, mordant Short rock resin centre speaker, Yamaha 3090 AC3 AMP, Laserdisk, DVD etc oh and a Mitsubishi MT3 projector with 6 foot screen and a 12" Tannoy sub.

But I'm buying a new house ready in January.

Would like the Bose sound system, ( nice small descreet speaker, but great sound, the New SIM2 Projector at £6,000 and a new screen at 2500). But then other half mentioned that my Scooby is outa warranty in 5 months how about the new STi.
Hmmmmm what a dilemma, which way to go.
Or do I go Evo route.
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I dont want to go the cheap route on projectors, You can Definately see the difference. The Mitsubishi is not bad that I Have but the new Sim is a DLP and what a difference.
Old 09 December 2001, 12:06 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
You all have too much cash!!!!!!!!!
Old 09 December 2001, 12:33 PM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

Give £10,000 to charity Mr Materialistic man

Trending Topics

Old 09 December 2001, 12:51 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Give £10,000 to me Mr Materialistic Man
Old 09 December 2001, 01:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Buy a season ticket at your local cinema, mine even has a cheap bar and the scoob.
Old 10 December 2001, 08:55 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Ohwell, No chance of any descent replies.

Thought this would be been a good place to ask.

But then I did have a Black WRX Scooby with last 3 digits of number plate WRX decide he had to show off infront of a fellow scooby driver today. Thought us Scooby drivers stuck together and showed the way to go.
I think most of us do.
Old 10 December 2001, 09:18 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the STI and buy a cheaper set-up as 10k is well into the realm of diminishing returns. 2k will get you a good system, 3k stonking, 4k jaw dropping, 5k and beyond? A bit better...

I've been tempted by home cinema, but never quite seem the point in a massively expensive surround sound. We bought a decent TV (32" sony widescreen flat 100Hz jobbie), decent DVD player (pioneer 636) and hooked that through Kef Q35s powered by a Rega Mira.

Surround sound is great, but for the hassle of three (or 4) extra speakers, I've yet to be convinced that it's worth the hassle.

And I do think that above 5k you're getting drawn into a "and if sir buys this it will increase thickness and length" situation as the differences are getting less and less.

But if you want a thin screen, you're back up to the 10k

Ah hell, it's a nice dilemma to have. I'd go for the STI and a cheap setup!
Old 10 December 2001, 09:22 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a stonking HT setup and tune the UK Scoob to silly levels. Which is just what I did.

*lol*

If it's time for a new car anyway, go for the STi.

/J
Old 10 December 2001, 09:46 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I agree completely with chiark.

I have a davis dls 8 which I imported from germany. Cost me 2k instead of the 4k over here. Bought an owl screen for £300 giving me an 11ft diagonal picture and excellent quality. There is alos theis already mentioned sony thing which is well under 2k.

a decent dvd player is necessary with a projector, so you are looking at around the 300 to 400 mark for a pioneer 737 or equivalent. Forget laser disc unless you are a die hard star wars fan as if you havent started collecting, it isnt worth it.

Speakers wise, I have bought miller and kreisel satellites, They are still small but their sound wipes the floor with other satellite systems. Plus a decent yamaha or denon amp will do the trick amp wise, depending on room size you wwouldnt notice a lot of difference between a £500 and a £200 model as they use the same processors, just have extra features and more powerful amps. The internal amps on mass produced yamaha/denon are all crap anyway .

I am guessing though that since you were aiming for expense then something like the ruark reference series will suit you and bollocks to the size. Couople that to a tag mclaren av32r wth matching power amp (prefer bryston monoblocks myself), and this will be closer to what you had intended to spend.

The point is, why does 10k need to be your home cinema budget?

You can realistically build the system for 5k talk the wife round and have both.

Ultimately the system wont be as good, but we are having never owned the other you will be hard pressed to work out how it could improve, so long as you choose well.

If it is one or the other, then the best thing to do is prioritize what brings you more pleasure and where do you spend most time?
I would guess in that situation teh answer is o spend it on the hifi, plus the fact you already have a scoob, it isnt going to give you that much more pleasure than your current car and I am assuming you have no cinema at the mo, so you have the whole exciting thing to do.

BUT, and this would be my own choice, you should buy the car! This is because, teh hifi is modular, so you can amass teh desired components over time and spread the cost and enjoyment. Your wife is less likely to object to a few hundred quid at a time, yet in the end you get everything you wanted!
Old 10 December 2001, 09:48 AM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

Hooray some descent replies, cheers.
I am very tempted going the STi route, sa I allready have the Home Cinema setup as you can see from post above.
Probably be more tempted once the cars out, you know what its like though with the money buring a hole in the pocket.
Be nice if the new STi had a navigational system though.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:29 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you've got money burning a hole, the sensible route (which I have never, ever, ever taken as I spend money as soon as it hits the account) would be to put it in a long-term investment...

...and take the STI too
Old 10 December 2001, 10:55 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Can I nominate this post for the 2002 Turner Prize ;-)
Old 10 December 2001, 01:28 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I think the STi is slowly winning, I seem to be hunting the web for more info on it.
Yes you can nominate the thread m8e What do I win, (An STi WRX)??
Old 10 December 2001, 01:35 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Sorry, the prize is only £20k!
Old 10 December 2001, 01:41 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just sold some home cinema kit, Def Technology BP2000 mains, CLR 2000 centre, Rotel power amps, all to help fund UK300. Not regreted it for one moment.
Old 10 December 2001, 01:41 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Get the car,

I was lucky enough to be staying with a family friend (now ex-friend - don't ask!) Who was in the fortunate position to have spent upwards of 50K on his Home Cinema set-up. It was great, powerful enough to fill a small theatre, but, for a home I have to say it was over the top! It was a reasonably sized room but what's the point when you can only turn it up to -1 to get a comfortable sound.

So what's my point? For the money, I would get enough to Home Cinema fill the room you are going to listen to it in and then spend the rest on a new car.

Spend it how you want though - just my opinion.

Cheers

Richard