Sponsored by:

ENGINE WARNING LIGHT ON

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2007, 11:37 AM
wrx classic
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE WARNING LIGHT ON

Can anyone advise please,the check engine light came on last night on the way home from work,ive checked oil,water,temp...etc and alls well apart from fans are on as soonas i try to start engine.It now doesnt start and i dont know what it could be! CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT PLEASE
Old 20 February 2007, 11:39 AM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Mine came on the other day but it was related to my speedo connection being loose on the back of the dashboard.
Best bet is to go to Subaru and plug it into the diagnostic machine mate....it's gonna be the best way to know what it is for sure.

Originally Posted by wrx classic
Can anyone advise please,the check engine light came on last night on the way home from work,ive checked oil,water,temp...etc and alls well apart from fans are on as soonas i try to start engine.It now doesnt start and i dont know what it could be! CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT PLEASE
Old 20 February 2007, 11:54 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

you can run the diagnostic yourself on a classic mate

if you are unsure about doing this yourself then you could take it to a dealers but would hate to think what they would charge you

===========

ECU Diagnostics :
The ECU can diagnose any fault that may arise due to abnormal signals that are sent to the controller.
The ECU Check Engine Light (CEL) will illuminate in the instrument console if there is a problem with any of the computers inputs.
It is possible to find which sensor is faulty by following these steps:

· Turn ignition OFF.
· Connect read memory connectors. These are the small black connectors under the steering column above the pedals.
· Turn ignition key to the ON position (Engine OFF)
· Engine Check Light turns on
· Code is indicated by Pulsing light - See below
· If Code is OK Turn ignition OFF disconnect the black connectors
· If CEL returns a number of different pulsing lights then check the ECU code table.
· Turn ignition to the OFF position. Disconnect the black connectors.
· If there is a fault, then check the appropriate sensor.
The ECU codes are displayed as pulses of the CEL. If CEL goes out there is no fault.
In Diagnostic Mode – No Fault is indicated by the CEL continuously & evenly flashing on/off (this is also used to indicate the successful completion of an ECU Reset) SEE "OK code" in diagram below.
The long pulses (1.3 Seconds) indicate Tens and the short pulses (0.2 Seconds) indicate ones. Pulses are separated by Short Pauses (0.2 Seconds), multiple codes are separated by a Long Pause (1.8 Seconds) SEE "Trouble codes" in diagram & examples below.
The simplest way for an inexperienced mechanic to retrieve codes is to write the codes down in a sort of Morse Code (dots and dashes), and start a new line when you get a 1.8 Second pause (for NEW code), and then add the actual numbers up after code retrieval is completed.

Code ITEM
11 Crankshaft position sensor
12 Starter switch
13 Camshaft position sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Knock sensor
23 Mass air flow sensor
24 Idle air control solenoid
31 Throttle position sensor
32 Oxygen sensor
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2
35 Purge control solenoid valve
42 Idle switch
44 Wastegate control solenoid valve
45 Pressure sensor – Pressure exchange solenoid valve
51 Neutral position switch

once this is done you can reset the ecu if you want by connecting black and green conectos together turn the key to on position then press accelerator to the floor then halfway up for 2 seconds then start car then travel at a speed of over 5 MPh untill the ok code flashes "DO NOT RAGG THE CAR WHILST RESETTING ECU"

after this or befor its your choice id take the boost solenoid off and clean with carb cleaner and re-fitt but dont forget to clean the asociated pipework connected to it as well and take things from there
Old 20 February 2007, 12:00 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrx classic
Coolant temp sensor perhaps?
Not sure about the staring problem though.
Old 20 February 2007, 12:06 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

You learn something new every day....and that was DAMN useful to know!

Cheers mate

Originally Posted by CupraDave
you can run the diagnostic yourself on a classic mate

if you are unsure about doing this yourself then you could take it to a dealers but would hate to think what they would charge you

===========

ECU Diagnostics :
The ECU can diagnose any fault that may arise due to abnormal signals that are sent to the controller.
The ECU Check Engine Light (CEL) will illuminate in the instrument console if there is a problem with any of the computers inputs.
It is possible to find which sensor is faulty by following these steps:

· Turn ignition OFF.
· Connect read memory connectors. These are the small black connectors under the steering column above the pedals.
· Turn ignition key to the ON position (Engine OFF)
· Engine Check Light turns on
· Code is indicated by Pulsing light - See below
· If Code is OK Turn ignition OFF disconnect the black connectors
· If CEL returns a number of different pulsing lights then check the ECU code table.
· Turn ignition to the OFF position. Disconnect the black connectors.
· If there is a fault, then check the appropriate sensor.
The ECU codes are displayed as pulses of the CEL. If CEL goes out there is no fault.
In Diagnostic Mode – No Fault is indicated by the CEL continuously & evenly flashing on/off (this is also used to indicate the successful completion of an ECU Reset) SEE "OK code" in diagram below.
The long pulses (1.3 Seconds) indicate Tens and the short pulses (0.2 Seconds) indicate ones. Pulses are separated by Short Pauses (0.2 Seconds), multiple codes are separated by a Long Pause (1.8 Seconds) SEE "Trouble codes" in diagram & examples below.
The simplest way for an inexperienced mechanic to retrieve codes is to write the codes down in a sort of Morse Code (dots and dashes), and start a new line when you get a 1.8 Second pause (for NEW code), and then add the actual numbers up after code retrieval is completed.

Code ITEM
11 Crankshaft position sensor
12 Starter switch
13 Camshaft position sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Knock sensor
23 Mass air flow sensor
24 Idle air control solenoid
31 Throttle position sensor
32 Oxygen sensor
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2
35 Purge control solenoid valve
42 Idle switch
44 Wastegate control solenoid valve
45 Pressure sensor – Pressure exchange solenoid valve
51 Neutral position switch

once this is done you can reset the ecu if you want by connecting black and green conectos together turn the key to on position then press accelerator to the floor then halfway up for 2 seconds then start car then travel at a speed of over 5 MPh untill the ok code flashes "DO NOT RAGG THE CAR WHILST RESETTING ECU"

after this or befor its your choice id take the boost solenoid off and clean with carb cleaner and re-fitt but dont forget to clean the asociated pipework connected to it as well and take things from there
Old 20 February 2007, 12:09 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia browse is a good source of knowledge for classic and new age
Old 20 February 2007, 12:29 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

great info

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2007, 12:35 PM
wrx classic
Scooby Newbie

Cheers all for replys,just taken crankshaft sensor out and cleaned,it now turns over and idles,light is still on and fans goin a good un but dissconnected battery for 15 mins see if it resets!
Old 20 February 2007, 08:31 PM
grrrr
Scooby Regular

two sensors went on mine the crank and heat sensor, one affected the starting [crank sensor] and the heat sensor affected the fans.
Hope that helps mate.
Old 20 February 2007, 10:22 PM
WRXforever
Scooby Newbie

Default Same engine light annoying problem!

I've had my WRX for 2 years now it's an 02 plate and very reliable

EXCEPT the engine lamp stays on constantly

The local Scoobie dealer says it is "Uk fuel" and Jap cars are on a different spec but it is a UK car... Recently took it to a local garage and had the throttle head cleaned out I think, but the light has come on again the bloke that did I can not seem to contact.

Anyone any ideas???
Old 21 February 2007, 08:41 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Have you been to the scoobypedia link i posted earlier has plenty of info on reading the ecu and diagnosing possible problems