Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the fun??? desperate for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2007, 04:02 PM
Andy-runner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the fun??? desperate for advice!

Hi all - i'm new to Subaru ownership!

After owning MR2 tubbys for a number of years it was suggested i may be better off buying a more "sensible" work car, mainly for the addition of 2 more doors compared with an MR2.

A few weeks later i was the "lucky" owner of a low mileage Version 3 Sti, the car is totally standard and after a health check from Scooby Clinic (only 15 miles away from home) i was told the car was in very good condition - with no problems what so ever......

My point is this..... where is the fun in driving these cars? Performance is good - but not great, the cornering is very impressive granted but i really miss rear wheel drive and i have to admit my car personally just looks very dull (silver with gold wheels). Would the usual additions of a filter/decent exh really help the performance/add to the driving experience?

I really dont want to offend/cause trouble at all, i just wondered what people do with their cars, are they generally used on the drag strip, body kitted carriages or just rally replicas?

Where is the fun in 4x4?

At the moment i'm even thinking of chopping in the Scooby for another MR2 or god help me a sylvia

Please help . . . . do i stick with the car / am i missing the point of ownership?

How do people drive theirs??? Finally, how popular are these cars in the Japanese tuning scene (sorry just curious)

I repeat however - i really don't want to offend any other Scooby owners with this post!
Old 19 February 2007, 04:15 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

the real fun starts when its wet or evan better, snowing! supose your used to pressing the accelerater and the back end pops out witch of course wont work on the impreza! its just different driving styles if you want *** end action you going to need to learn back off oversteer and learn to chuck into corners with plenty of speed!
it might not suit your needs though in witch case get a 200sx more fun than the mr2 surley! my freinds got a 500 bp mr2 rev3! it is absoloutly mental, i love it!
Old 19 February 2007, 05:58 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sti v3, was stock, was boring, now modified now entertaining/frightening/rewarding:
View My Video

You have to find the space to drive it hard to enjoy it.

I fully undrestand what you are saying!

After a nice 911 this car is very dull in stock form. (see opposite)
Old 19 February 2007, 06:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

FFS 911 if your Scoob is running 400bhp it must be fairly entertaining & not dull at all

TX.
Old 19 February 2007, 06:09 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Subaru's are boring to drive, they can go fast and they can grip, but thats about it. Later models with the adjustable diff are better but nothing like a rear wheel drive car. If you like the power oversteer of a RWD, why did you buy a subaru??
Old 19 February 2007, 06:54 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem moving from a Supra to a bug eye STi. I had kids, so had to get used to it as the Scooby got them in along with all their clobber. 3 years on, would love another Supra, but the Scoob just fills all my needs (well, apart from the roundabout drifting !!). Had to do some mods along the way to bring the Scoob to my taste, but pleased with it.

Neil
Old 19 February 2007, 07:16 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

I am totally the oppisite, I had a twin turbo supra before this, and that was a killer, i couldnt stand it.

EVERYTIME the foot went down, fishtailed all the way, I used to mess about with nova's from the lights, and LOSE LOL.

Granted I was only 17 at the time, but deary me, you need a LOT of experiance to get the best from a RWD car,

Hence why I bought the audi TT afterwards, lost a lot of pace but gained a lot of grip, missed the pace so hence the STi8, all the grip, faster to 60 than most 200k supercars, and I dont really speed so thats a winner for me, nicely modified and this car is the winner.

I find it well exciting to drive and find myself smiling at all points in the journey, but im only young so Im bound to haha,

If your not happy with the scoob mate, buy a supra, or an RX7 thats had a rebuild, they are the winners
Old 19 February 2007, 08:03 PM
Andy-runner
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply lads - all of which have been taken on board!

I think the problem is like the Supra, the Scooby is so different from the MR2 - it will take a while to get used to. I imagine a nice exhaust may help it on its way though . The bonus like so many other people find is that there is so much more room than my old car - and the engines under the bonnet fo a change!!!

Just remember if you see a silver scooby on your travels, attempting to get the rear to break away first round corners. . . . . it could be me! (sorry only joking!!!)

Thanks again to you all

Andy