Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time you drove an impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 07:49 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time you drove an impreza?

Mine was at a subaru dealer about 6 years ago, the salesman handed the me the keys to a my98 wagon, and said " its the best time to test drive it " (because it was raining), he let me and my wife take it for a spin on our own.

I didnt buy it, but the my grin was bigger than my face
I was like a little boy at christmas ,
I've owned several since and will get another sometime soon!

Anyone else experienced the same grin?
Old 16 February 2007, 07:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took one out about 7 years ago, a clapped-out Impreza Wagon in Silver which had had a hard life ...... it was tatty, bashed about by its company car user.

BUT, at 65,000miles it went like a bullet ..... it was clearly capable of withstanding everything a business driver could throw at it and then still deliver.

That's what won me over, I didn't buy that one - I ordered (yes, you had to order them in those days) a new one.

6 years 9 months later and I have not regretted that decision - it just delivers again, and again, and again ....
Old 16 February 2007, 07:57 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by taffyboyo

Anyone else experienced the same grin?

My face hurt for days from grinning when I got my first scoob, it was a v2 sti with fmic and loads of other mods so really i had a baptism of fire, it went like ****!

Ads
Old 16 February 2007, 08:03 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I hadnt driven one until i had signed the paperwork. The collection of mine was my first drive.

I wouldnt normally do this with a car, but the Impreza STi always gets a good review regardless of where you look and it was brand new so warranty was also there for peace of mind.

After 9mnths of owning it... never looked back... best decision i made.

The only way my smile is going to be removed is via: some very intense surgery!!
Old 16 February 2007, 08:16 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First one I drove was an L plate UK spec WRX that my sisters boyfriend owned. It felt gutless compared to my V6 cavalier at the time and I never though I'd own one.

He then upgraded to a bugeye and when I drove that it completely changed my opinion and my cheeks ached for days. Now I own one
Old 16 February 2007, 08:18 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
6 years 9 months later and I have not regretted that decision - it just delivers again, and again, and again ....

Probably down to your 'Trademarked' Oil Change technique, and full 20 LED Knocklink.
Old 16 February 2007, 08:32 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

My first IMpreza was a WRX-RA back in 1998/99 (test drove legacys before )

I then ended up with a UK one, took it for a drive and thought something aint right here, lack of power, lack of brakes, really leggy gear ratios...

I learnt the differences with UK and JDMs the hard way
Old 16 February 2007, 08:36 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

first time i drove a scoob was when i pick up my first one felt nice to drive but disapointingly slow
Old 16 February 2007, 08:52 PM
boxerboy2
Scooby Newbie

first time i drove one i drove a my99 uk car which i thought was boring compared to my celica at the time ,but because i like the look so much i gave them another shot to impress and drove a mcrae totally changed my mind i then bought a v3 sti and never looked back best car ever
Old 16 February 2007, 09:00 PM
GroupNGC8
Scooby Regular

My first ever experience was back in 1994 - took a UK demo car out for a spin, I thought the power delivery was 'all or nothing' and unless you changed gear at 7,000rpm the engine fell out of the torque band. I decided not to buy one and bought a Celica instead.
Three years later in 1997 I test drove a facelift UK demo and couldn't believe the changes. I ended up buying a brand new Catalunya and I couldn't stop grinning for weeks after. Then I 2000 I bought my P1 without even a test drive.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:00 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

First time last september one week before I bought it. Went out, drove it, grinned like a right nugget all day. Applied for the loan, cash same day, laid down a deposit, picked it up that weekend, haven't stopped grinning since.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:02 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

My first subaru drive was at the wheel of my dads 96 turbo 2000. Had a scoobysport back box and I fell in love with the burble.
Bought my first 8 months later and I'm now on my fourth
(this one doesn't burble though)
Old 16 February 2007, 09:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Bought the g/f a track experience back in 1995. The owner of the track told us that the surface was very greasy after 6 weeks of dry weather and the heavens opening the day we arrived, aggrivated by the entire contents of a Caterfields sump dropped the day before and spread around the whole track by the rest of them

Eased onto the track, turned into the first corner, as we exited the apex the instructor said "go on then". 4 wheel drift through the exit, 6.5k in every gear and sideways into the next corner screaming "fahoook me !!!" all the way. Swapped over with the g/f 7-8 laps later and she asked "what's it like ?" I replied "you'll need new underwear in 2 minutes time" 10 minutes later she arrived back with a big grin proclaiming "we gotta get one of these" Spent the rest of the day 4 wheel drifting, with a 90mph 360 spin to make it fun, on the way to setting the fastest amatuer lap ever and being only 0.9s behind the instructor on my timed lap

Didn't get one 'til Jan 2004 and sold it on in Sep 2006, but it was the best car I've ever owned and will definately have another when funds allow
Old 16 February 2007, 09:50 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

my first drive was just back in june of last year, been wanting a scooby for years after years of owning several old school hot hatches, last one being a mint low miles clio williams 3, wrong side of 30 now and wanted a bigger car with baby on the way. anyway budget was £6000-£8000 wanted a mint low miles classic preferably with the ppp, looked for ages put the feelers out at a few nearby subaru garages then got a call from ian greaves in falkirk, they had just taken in a s plate wr sport with 66000mls and they advised me to drive over soon as they had already had a lot of interest in it. i couldnt wait to finish work that day and took my old man with me on a gorgeous summers evening to drive my first scoob, was sooooo excited. the car was sitting outside the showroom when i turned up, silver with the 17" speedlines it looked amazing. started it up and had a good look around it then i jump in the front fantastic recaros and couldnt believe how short the throw was on the quickshift. took it easy at first then we got on to some twisties and i put the foot down, the noise! the power! my dad was ****ting himself i just had a huge grin on my face from start to finish, loved it and the looks i was getting in it as well. anyway back to the garage, i had been told on the phone it was going to go up for £7995 which was steep but then it was a wr sport with every prodrive extra on it and had cost roughly £30k new but he tells me its £8995!!!! they were having the wheels refurbed as a bit scabby, new windscreen as tiny chip and would have a years warrenty. after my shock at the price he agreed they would sell to me there and then for the £7995 i had been quoted but i had to speak to the wife first and it was really more than i wanted to spend, couldnt sleep for excitement that night, should i or shouldnt i, anyway, somebody else beat me to it the next day. gutted. still regret it but in the end i still think it was too much cash. happy ending though got a mint t plate mica blue one owner 45k full ssh with leda coilovers, hi spec monster 4pot brake job, scoobysport de cat down pipe centre section and back box. love it. just isnt as quick as the wr sport but andy f remap coming soon. cheers.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

My first drive was a test drive of a new MY03 STi from a dealer. Loved it, bought one.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:55 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

My first drive was of a 02WRX, liked it so i bought it
Old 17 February 2007, 12:05 AM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

a blue v2 555 that one of me best m8s bought when we were 17...OMG...nothing seems faster than your 1st propa fast experience
not even current 700bhp r33's ive been driving
Old 17 February 2007, 12:43 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

10 years ago
I used to spend a lot of time driving all the nice cars at teh dealers
but I couldnt afford one - and the wife wuldnt have one

nowI'm single
...I got a 95 Scoob
.....it was a dream it had t happen

anyone got a mince pie...or a curry
Old 17 February 2007, 12:46 AM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

LOl... ive had mine for about a week and ive yet to drive it.. or any impreza that it. Im busy sorting the engine so once its rebuilt il let you all know.... I feel a grin coming on... lol
Old 17 February 2007, 12:49 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Guy at the dealers booked it.

Went to the dealers, then got into the silver WRX (2004).

Drove it normally, was impressed, then nearly drove it off the road in a very egg-shaped round-about. Since it saved my hairless bottom and showed me that it is a very capable car - I was sold!

Never again have I been in such a situation, and I can tell you that this was over 2 years ago, and as time passes I love this car more and more.

I have tried buying a second one, but the "boss" dont let me
Old 17 February 2007, 12:56 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Guy at the dealers booked it.

Went to the dealers, then got into the silver WRX (2004).

Drove it normally, was impressed, then nearly drove it off the road in a very egg-shaped round-about. Since it saved my hairless bottom and showed me that it is a very capable car - I was sold!

Never again have I been in such a situation, and I can tell you that this was over 2 years ago, and as time passes I love this car more and more.

I have tried buying a second one, but the "boss" dont let me

Classics are "scoobier than thou".

Keep it up with the bass.
Old 17 February 2007, 01:08 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Mine was when i first picked up my bog standard MY00 turbo, about 6 years ago.
From what i remember, it didnt exactly blow my socks off. I'd previously had moderatly tuned Rs turbo's, and the scoob didn't feel much quicker and the handling was just good rather than exceptional, like i was expecting

It didn't take long to grow on me though, after fitting eibachs and especially when i scrapped the standard exhaust, unleashing a bit of that noise!
Old 17 February 2007, 01:13 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Danke Bubba!
Old 17 February 2007, 01:21 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

1998. My mate bought a Terzo. Took me down the Digbeth High Street in it (Birmingham) - he said, "You've GOT to have a go in this!!!"

We set of normally, then he booted it. I'd been in some quick cars before this, such as AC Shnitzer BMW 850, Porsche 944 S2s, Audi S2s, Aston Martin Vantages etc.....

This BLEW my head off!!

I got out of the car afterwards (a 5 min trip), physically trembling with the adrenalin rush.

Didn't get one for another couple of years. Then had two

Yes, it's a **** car with a half decent chassis and engine, but there are few cars in the price bracket that offer that experience

Will always look back on my ownership with fond memories

Dan
Old 17 February 2007, 01:30 AM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

August 2004,
Test drove a STI type R in Bargoed., i drove all the way from Reading to Wales to view the car. I was amazed by the acceleration compared to my CTR, which aren't at all slow.

Sold my Civic Type R and went back the next week with a bankers draft

Never looked back since. Still my pride and joy
Old 17 February 2007, 01:39 AM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

It was July 2005, I had had my RX8 for 6 months and was sick of things going wrong (plus a mate of mine had a 99 uk Turbo 2000 wagon (who just happened to become our regional RO for the SIDC)) Went down to S&S in Ayr just for a wee look about and enden up coming away with my 05' STi(9) type UK (damn Mr Spicer was good at selling his sole....lol)

Have felt a few feelings for my old 8, but well glad I plucked up the courage to get my STi9 (even though ive had my fair share of problems with this car also!!!!)

so 26 6 yrs NCB, with my brother on the policy £580, so cant complain (wont go back to 2wd now!!!)

Graeme
Old 17 February 2007, 07:12 AM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Just to ad, I saw the same grin a couple of years later, when I had a spin in a sti 5 ra, what a car , I think I'm going to get one sometime soon
Old 17 February 2007, 07:39 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

The year was 2000'ish! lol.
My mate bought from auction a 1997 import, silver, standard in every way, yes even the wheels were standard! No gold, no 17", etc, etc.
He took it to TSL then i had a go.
f00k me, and other choice swear words! What a buzz, i had never ever driven anything like that in my life. As for cornering, i never got that far as my very small 'bottle' was happy with the accelleration and my mate wanted his driver seat back! LOL.
I bought my own WRX new in 2003, and am now under the spell of the modding bug that is the Subaru Community! Oh yeah, and i just had my 60k service at RCMS last week! LOL to that, unreal, 10k in 6 months i cannot believe it. But that is exactly why i bought it, i love driving it.
I need more practice but hey, who cares, i love it.
Old 17 February 2007, 10:56 AM
zoney-WRX
Scooby Regular

about 3 years ago my m8 had a my52 plate wrx on a lease deal and it was due to go back so he let me loose in it and i grinned for a few weeks after that so i decided i wanted 1 and took the wife out for a test drive in 1 knowing what the car was like i kept the speed down until i turned left onto a country road and then floored it the scream from the passenger seat were lound along with the shouts of im going to be sick slow down or im getting out needless to say a few weeks latter i bought a 52 plate WRX which i kept for 8 months before test driving a Sti ppp which when i got back to the dealership i decided to order a new sti with a free ppp convertion throwen in and trade the wrx in and i havent stopped grinning since

Last edited by zoney-WRX; 17 February 2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: missed somet out
Old 17 February 2007, 11:03 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Must have been 1999. It was a white import and IIRC it had an adjustable diff. Maybe an RA or something? Anyway, the dealer took it out of the showroom with me in the passenger seat and absolutely caned it down the road with the engine stone cold, between two rows of parked cars. I like to drive fast, but this was madness. Anyway, I took over and had it out on the dual carriageway and yes it was quick, probably the quickest thing I'd been in up to that point apart from a mate's old 300ZX which had incredible top end urge.

Didn't actually buy an Impreza for some years after that though.

Quick Reply: First time you drove an impreza?