Sponsored by:

Under the speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2007, 12:58 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Under the speed limit

Is it just me or are there an increasing number of people who want to drive at 'well-under' the speed limit? EVERY day on my route to/from work (which is out of town roads) I have to follow people doing 30 in 40 zones and 40 in 60 zones. I know it is a speed limit and so that is meant to be the maximum, but why do so many people want to pootle about? Then if you overtake them (in a safe manner) they insist on giving you the full beam. Are they flashing to congratulate me on my driving prowess? Or was it that I woke them up from their deep sleep and they knock the light stalk cos they were startled?

Before anyone starts....this is nothing to do with driving an Impreza - it's the same when driving my wife's CR-V. I don't mind going at the speed limit, it just irritates me when so many people drive really slow - which I think is inconsiderate (unless they have a good reason - like highly volitile explosives in the boot).
Old 15 February 2007, 01:14 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

I agree. The speed limit is just that, a limit but unnecessarily slow traffic can be a nuisence, & in some circumstance be dangerous. I'm not talking of those that do 30 in a 40 zone necessarily, but more those that potter along at 20 in a 40, or 30 in a 60 zone... We all know the type of driver - the ones that you wonder whether they can actually see where they're driving or you feel have a significant lack of confidence or ability.....
Old 15 February 2007, 01:15 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just slow down, a lot. Like if they were doing 40 in 60, once you have passed slow down to 20....see how quickly they get irrate. Its amazing how they are perfectly happy to inconvenience everyone else around them, but should someone else dare to reduce their speed most of them practically explode all over their wheel.

(btw, I am not saying you should stand on the brakes in front of them, just adjust their speed for them in a calm, controlled, and persistent manner)
Old 15 February 2007, 01:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

main road outside my estate is 60, yet people drive along it at 40 then get stroppy when i overtake, bunch of dim wits
Old 15 February 2007, 01:25 PM
Rince
Scooby Regular

It is stoopid really. It's like they think the car is gonna fall off the road if they hit the speed limit.

I do sometimes get the lights for overtaking, but its always old folks...
Old 15 February 2007, 01:25 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Why should everyone be expected to drive right up to the signposted limit? Do you have carte blanche to drive on that road? Perhaps they're not in a hurry so why speed? The speed limits on roads are just that, limits! maybe because you think it's safe to drive right up to the limit perhaps another road user does not. Unless of course you consider yourself a better driver than someone who doesn't conform to your rules? If you want to rush everywhere than that is your prerogative, but please allow other road users their prerogative to drive at a speed they think is appropriate.

P.s.
I'd wager that these "slow coaches" have fewer points on there licenses!!!
Dave
Old 15 February 2007, 01:29 PM
Rince
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty

P.s.
I'd wager that these "slow coaches" have fewer points on there licenses!!!
Dave
Hehe I love it when peeps tar everyone with the same brush!

So you drive faster than some dawdler and you will have points? Nah... none here
Old 15 February 2007, 01:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Rince

So you drive faster than some dawdler and you will have points?
faster than the dawdler, yet still in the speed limit
Old 15 February 2007, 01:31 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I'd prefer that to someone doing 55 in a 60. Virtually impossible to get past without breaking the limit , but adding 10% to my journey time.
Old 15 February 2007, 01:36 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Misty, sorry mate but I think you've misunderstood the thread. I dont think anyone is saying that others should be critisised for not always driving at the limit. There is no harm, or problem, with people driving sensibly under the speed limit - it's aimed at those that drive significantly slower, & in so doing cause a hazard to the rest of the traffic flow.....
Old 15 February 2007, 01:47 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rince

So you drive faster than some dawdler and you will have points? Nah... none here
None in 32 years. I tend to stick pretty rigidly to the limits in built up areas. Sometime this annoys the person who gets behind me wanting to do 50 in a 30. Tough. It might be my kid running on to the road after a ball or whatever
Old 15 February 2007, 01:49 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayltee1
Is it just me or are there an increasing number of people who want to drive at 'well-under' the speed limit? EVERY day on my route to/from work (which is out of town roads) I have to follow people doing 30 in 40 zones and 40 in 60 zones. I know it is a speed limit and so that is meant to be the maximum, but why do so many people want to pootle about? Then if you overtake them (in a safe manner) they insist on giving you the full beam. Are they flashing to congratulate me on my driving prowess? Or was it that I woke them up from their deep sleep and they knock the light stalk cos they were startled?

Before anyone starts....this is nothing to do with driving an Impreza - it's the same when driving my wife's CR-V. I don't mind going at the speed limit, it just irritates me when so many people drive really slow - which I think is inconsiderate (unless they have a good reason - like highly volitile explosives in the boot).

There's nothing like a bit of sweeping generalisation
Old 15 February 2007, 02:00 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

If you go out on a driving test and the road is dry and the visibility is good and drive at 40 in a 60 limit you'll get a black mark for failing to make progress.

I frequently find that I'm following people at 40 in a 60 limit only to fall behind when we reach a 30 limit as I slow down and they sail on obliviously at 40, its because they're half asleep and don't care about other road users.
Old 15 February 2007, 02:01 PM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

Just wanted to make a point and I feel better for getting it off my chest

PS. No points since March 2002 - ie. clean licence for now

PPS. I agree with built up areas and not booting it - I have kids too. But my beef is with the open country roads and ones that aren't even too twisty!
Old 15 February 2007, 02:10 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

What annoys me more are the ones that do 40 in a 60, 40 in a 40, 40 in a 30, 40 in a 20!

Actually my daily commute takes me along a 40 and most days I end up behind someone doing 30. The bizarre thing is as we come off that road and into a 30 zone the road goes up slightly and then gently down hill. Almost everytime the dawdler cant help but hit 35+! I just wonder if they even realise what they are doing or if they really are just Muppets?

As others have said I dont mind if someone is going a bit less than the speed limit - I respect their choice to stay within the limit and at a speed they are happy with. But, when its 25% or more under and holding up traffic then its not acceptable.

IMO these inconsistent slow coaches are (in my experience) the dangerous ones as they encourage inappropriate overtaking, tail gating etc., and then if they are going to speed in other zones then they definitely arent safer!

Raaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited by Molds; 15 February 2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Speed typing = lots of bad spelling and grammar! Fixed some of it...
Old 15 February 2007, 02:15 PM
VTEC to Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
If you go out on a driving test and the road is dry and the visibility is good and drive at 40 in a 60 limit you'll get a black mark for failing to make progress.

I frequently find that I'm following people at 40 in a 60 limit only to fall behind when we reach a 30 limit as I slow down and they sail on obliviously at 40, its because they're half asleep and don't care about other road users.
I've seen this so many times