why dont they go mental?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2000, 06:40 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Chaps,
have just seen the alex zanardi donut on that link site someone posted a while back. Fantastic is not strong enough to discribe it IMHO.
My question is this: Why dont the F1 boys do the same? Nothing would raise a processional race than the winner ripping up the tarmac in a phat smokin donut so why don't they do so? I appreciate they may well be wasted after 2+hours of racing, but I would have thought Mssr. Schumacher would have lit em up for the crowd when he won for Ferrari. the last time I remember seeing a F1 car givin it large was when Jaques "never lift...ever" Villneuve ripped em up when he qualified first. Is there a reason? or are they just to boring to do so?
opinions invited,
Astraboy.
Old 10 November 2000, 06:48 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

probably coz its dangerous. The amount of smoke produced by a wheel spinning F1 car will give zero visibility to other drivers and an accident could occur.

Also, wheel spinning could shed valuable weight and the car might be disqualified at the post race check. Most drivers normally run off the racing line at the end of the race to pick up marbles of spent rubber to add weight to their car.

l8rz

Old 10 November 2000, 08:21 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

What is Phat?
Old 10 November 2000, 08:36 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Cool

See Top Gear last night?

Big PHAT Ferrari Donut's going down.

Old 10 November 2000, 09:09 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Re: top gear.
Yeah I saw it alright. hardcore or what? Imagine seeing that going off seconds after watching Schuey bringing her home.
I think that is what I am saying. they just do the bare minimum and as soon as they cross the line its like "Right, thats another mill. in the bank, lets **** off sharpish" Whereas, Mr. Zanardi goes skitz, baits up the crowd by waving his fingers in a circle then its donut time. Not girlie donuts either, PHAT donuts.
Its not just F1 Either. Col used to spin up every time he won for Subaru, Burnsie even did it when he won the RAC In an Evo. But you just don't see them anymore. I guess I just want to see some spectacle after a race, its not too much to ask is it?
Old 10 November 2000, 09:12 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Do you practice reverse donuts in your vauxhall astraboy?
Old 10 November 2000, 10:59 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Yep! and I can do em quite well too IMHO!!!
I also have a go every now & again in my cossie but can't quite do it right.
Has anyone donutted their scoob out there?
Great fun aint it
Old 10 November 2000, 11:23 PM
Guiddy
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Oh dear!
Last time I saw the word <B>PHAT</B>, it was on the bottom of the number plate on some crap Ford Orion with an exhaust ths size of mums tumble dryer and SORTED made out of ford badges stuck on the back!
Nuff said!
Old 11 November 2000, 12:02 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Guys , turning into a boyracers thread in a way... With the F1 Comment, i don't think it would go down too well with the sponsors of the teams if they were seen ripping up tyres for no reason and endangering the car which costs money.
Old 11 November 2000, 04:33 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Jaguar & Williams didn't have a problem with Jenson Button & Jonny Herbert tearing up some rubber at Goodwood this year. I think Im going to have to concur with the weight comment made earlier(even if it is a dull reason not to do them).
Are you suggesting that they would get in trouble for doing some donuts? These people are trusted to drive the cars at 200+mph and you are telling me that they consider PHAT donuts unsafe??
Old 14 November 2000, 01:33 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

... because if the F1 boys started entertaining the crowd with doughnuts, the crowd might start realising how boring the racing is....

[This message has been edited by DavidRB (edited 14 November 2000).]
Old 14 November 2000, 01:40 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Senna certainly used to do it, sometimes. Definite memories of him waltzing past the stragglers at the end of a GP on the slowing-down lap, waiting till there was some clear space and then leaving two enormous black lines down the track.

There's none of that 'getting a flag off one of the spectators' business any more, and sometimes Senna would carry one in the car with him. No picking up other drivers on the track and giving them a lift back to the pits, and you hardly ever see anyone do a spin turn after going off (I think you used to have to turn the car round in its own length). And the Ferraris aren't red
Old 14 November 2000, 02:10 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Astraboy

I believe they do

I recently used some F1 footage for a programme. The rushes i was sent included Marlboro sponsored F1 car, bike and Rally car shedding serious ammounts of rubber at a race circuit - looks like before the race - maybe at a practice session. The stands where full of bodies at the time so not far off from the event so to speak.

Paul
Old 14 November 2000, 02:15 PM
Snake
Scooby Regular

In answer to CLS' question.
My 11yr old daughter informs me that PHAT is an acronym for Pretty Hot And Tasty.

Snake.

Old 14 November 2000, 04:51 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

They don't do donuts 'cos they are all running so close to the minimum allowable ground clearance ~ that's why they drive off line coming into the marshalling area - to pick up as much crud as possible and lift them a "smidgen" ~ technical term.

Shame though ~ but I prefer to see some nice fishtaily drifts to donuts.