Sponsored by:

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 04:48 PM
CarCrazy81
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy

Alright guys, I'm looking for general advice about Subaru's basically. I'm after an older shape (maybe 93-95) Scooby but I'm new to Subaru's & this forum. In love with the shape, speed & sound of this motor & now have enough cash to get one. However, everyone I to speak to (none of whom own one themselves) seem to have horror stories of a friend of a friend who spent so much money on theirs when it went wrong. I've got a peugeot 406 coupe3.0v6 which isn't cheap to run or service but I'm sure a Subaru will be more reliable (???) even ten years old. I've read about specs & all that but I'd rather have good, honest opinions from people who drive them themselves. Any help with known faults, reliability issues, things I need to check when browsing for one or general views about the motor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Adam
Old 10 January 2007, 04:59 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

TBH...its your money you buy what YOU want!!

I admitt, before getting mine, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, but then after speaking to a Jap dealer about possibly getting an Evo, he suggested a Scooby....I looked at him in horror, and all he said was "Why do you think they are so popular..?" Good point!!

Never looked back since I got mine!!!
Old 10 January 2007, 05:03 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

My advise would be do a lot of research on any potential car, you could do a lot worse than start with the classifieds on here.

There are some good ones around that are that age but there will be a lot of dogs too. they will all be jap imports at this age, something to be aware of.
Try to by from an enthusiast on here with a good history
Old 10 January 2007, 05:03 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for any nasty noises when started from cold,any white smoke belching out of the exhaust.

10 years + ,seals are gonna be wearing out so check rocker cover gaskets and crankshaft oil seals for leaks

Ive owned subarus for 3 years never had any probs, as long as they are run on the right fuel and treated right they are very reliable
Old 10 January 2007, 05:07 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I've had mine for 6 years. I looked after it and it looked after me. It has never been back to the garage for anything but servicing/brakes/tyres and has never let me down once. It has been faultless.
Old 10 January 2007, 05:15 PM
smithy 7
Scooby Regular

where abouts you from, iv got mine for sale if your looking for one its v reg 2000 awd turbo,
Old 10 January 2007, 05:31 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It always seems that a friend has had a friend whos' had a friend with some sort of bad experience.
I've had my 93wrx for 3 years (did buy it from a mate who runs a garage) and the only problem i had was the cambelt tensioner and rollers needing to be replaced as the cambelt was stripping itself (which can happen to any car).
Fuel consumption can be awful if you drive it hard,tyres may not last if you abuse it.
Old 10 January 2007, 05:33 PM
CarCrazy81
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys all valid points. Forgot about the fact it won't be standard unleaded. Smithy I'm from Farnborough in Surrey. Is your motor the new shape? Thought it would be on a 99 plate.
Old 10 January 2007, 05:45 PM
smithy 7
Scooby Regular

na mate 2000 model its a classic,the car is silver,with red and black leather seats 18 alloys standard engine. p1 front lip and v6 spoiler

Last edited by smithy 7; 10 January 2007 at 06:17 PM.