ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/573128-to-buy-or-not-to-buy.html)

CarCrazy81 10 January 2007 04:48 PM

To buy or not to buy

Alright guys, I'm looking for general advice about Subaru's basically. I'm after an older shape (maybe 93-95) Scooby but I'm new to Subaru's & this forum. In love with the shape, speed & sound of this motor & now have enough cash to get one. However, everyone I to speak to (none of whom own one themselves) seem to have horror stories of a friend of a friend who spent so much money on theirs when it went wrong. I've got a peugeot 406 coupe3.0v6 which isn't cheap to run or service but I'm sure a Subaru will be more reliable (???) even ten years old. I've read about specs & all that but I'd rather have good, honest opinions from people who drive them themselves. Any help with known faults, reliability issues, things I need to check when browsing for one or general views about the motor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Adam

EmEm 10 January 2007 04:59 PM

TBH...its your money you buy what YOU want!!

I admitt, before getting mine, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, but then after speaking to a Jap dealer about possibly getting an Evo, he suggested a Scooby....I looked at him in horror, and all he said was "Why do you think they are so popular..?" Good point!!

Never looked back since I got mine!!!

Jamescsti 10 January 2007 05:03 PM

My advise would be do a lot of research on any potential car, you could do a lot worse than start with the classifieds on here.

There are some good ones around that are that age but there will be a lot of dogs too. they will all be jap imports at this age, something to be aware of.
Try to by from an enthusiast on here with a good history

kingofturds 10 January 2007 05:03 PM

Check for any nasty noises when started from cold,any white smoke belching out of the exhaust.

10 years + ,seals are gonna be wearing out so check rocker cover gaskets and crankshaft oil seals for leaks

Ive owned subarus for 3 years never had any probs, as long as they are run on the right fuel and treated right they are very reliable:thumb:

Boost II 10 January 2007 05:07 PM

I've had mine for 6 years. I looked after it and it looked after me. It has never been back to the garage for anything but servicing/brakes/tyres and has never let me down once. It has been faultless.

smithy 7 10 January 2007 05:15 PM

where abouts you from, iv got mine for sale if your looking for one its v reg 2000 awd turbo,

myblackwrx 10 January 2007 05:31 PM

It always seems that a friend has had a friend whos' had a friend with some sort of bad experience.
I've had my 93wrx for 3 years (did buy it from a mate who runs a garage) and the only problem i had was the cambelt tensioner and rollers needing to be replaced as the cambelt was stripping itself (which can happen to any car).
Fuel consumption can be awful if you drive it hard,tyres may not last if you abuse it.

CarCrazy81 10 January 2007 05:33 PM

Cheers guys all valid points. Forgot about the fact it won't be standard unleaded. Smithy I'm from Farnborough in Surrey. Is your motor the new shape? Thought it would be on a 99 plate.

smithy 7 10 January 2007 05:45 PM

na mate 2000 model its a classic,the car is silver,with red and black leather seats 18 alloys standard engine. p1 front lip and v6 spoiler