Sponsored by:

Got pulled over last night

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2006, 09:13 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Got pulled over last night

First time it's ever happened, almost had a brown pants experience! I was doing a bit over the limit (on an empty dual carriageway) but it was the car that caught their attention. They wanted to check I was the owner (I heard all my insurance details being read out to him over the walkie-talkie which was strange) and to check I hadn't been drinking (which I hadn't).

One of them started asking me about the car, said he's thinking about getting one, he genuinely seemed interested in it. He said they had trouble keeping up with me and if i'd have floored it i'd have lost them! He also advised me to watch out for a silver car with a speed gun in it which I thought was good of him

Two decent blokes checking the car wasn't stolen and that there aren't any drink drivers on the road. Propper Police work. I don't mind getting pulled over for that!

So just remember, these cars do attract attention, it's not worth having a drink and driving, and the Police can be top blokes too!
Old 22 December 2006, 11:08 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

In contrast I was in a car stopped by what appeared to be a traffic car the night before last. Thta was until the two occupants climbed out in blue combat gear complete with Tasers and, more worringly in the safest city in the country, sidearms (that looked like Glock 17 9mm pistols) when it became obvious that it was an ARV. They were both truculent and passively aggressive and sported haircuts I hadnt seen since a mate from school joined the Royal Marines and they were both even more f*cking rude when politely asked how long South Yorkshire Police had been openly carrying firearms for, rather than keeping them secured in their vehicle.....

It appears that the transformation from 'public servants' is well on its way here!
Old 22 December 2006, 11:17 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

have to say not all cops are bad, 7 scoobs were out in convoy and we parked up at one of the lcal mod'd car hang outs, no one else around, but in pulled police car, both guys got out and we ended up having a good half hour chat, they did no reg checks and were more intersted in the cars cos they like them rather than picking an easy target. top pair of lads, and they did join the local site to say hello after we gave them the web addy.

no doubt there are some complete burks out there in uniforms but then there are some genuinly nice and helpfull cops.

on a side note when they left they stopped and had a word with a bunch of kids who'd been hurling abuse at them, and all we could here from the kids was, it wasn't us, etc etc even though we were stood there and knew exactly who it was lol

armed cops in notts always carry there guns in holsters and not locked up, only guns they drive around with locked up are the mp5's or G36's
Old 22 December 2006, 11:31 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

When Nottinghamshire Constabulary ARV crews started carrying sidearms on their person the year before last, it made the national news. Considering the amount of BoB shootings in and around St.Annes it didnt seem unreasonable either. I was surprised because gun related crime is far less common in Sheffield and the change has gone completely unmentioned; as well as being of questionable necessity.

I was stopped by an ARV traffic car seven or eight years ago and the crew were just like other traffic officers: professional, pleasant enough and similarly dressed (in fact it was only subtle points that identified them as an ARV). These tossers might have well have hard stopped us in a ****** Land Rover it was such a contrast.....
Old 22 December 2006, 11:58 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
When Nottinghamshire Constabulary ARV crews started carrying sidearms on their person the year before last, it made the national news. Considering the amount of BoB shootings in and around St.Annes it didnt seem unreasonable either. I was surprised because gun related crime is far less common in Sheffield and the change has gone completely unmentioned; as well as being of questionable necessity.

I was stopped by an ARV traffic car seven or eight years ago and the crew were just like other traffic officers: professional, pleasant enough and similarly dressed (in fact it was only subtle points that identified them as an ARV). These tossers might have well have hard stopped us in a ****** Land Rover it was such a contrast.....
no one even bats an eyelid in nottingham when they see cosp with guns.

thats the thing, all this agro about people saying no shouldn't carry them yada yada yada, but once people see them more than once or twice then no one cares anymore.

most other countries have armed officers, and no one cares, there more bothered about the fact police can respond with enough force to stop criminals
Old 22 December 2006, 12:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'People' are sheep Tidgy. Im not comfortable with it for a whole host of reasons.
Old 22 December 2006, 12:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

yeah but agree in a way but i don't think its a case of that, i think people do get used to it.

go to america and people get verbal with cops, like they are in this country, yet they have guns.
Old 22 December 2006, 01:52 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
more worringly in the safest city in the country
Cant say anything about attitude but who do you think made it that safe?

Those marine type of people. Gun crime was at an all time high two years ago until they started carrying firearms overtly.

Although a good attitude is a good start.
Old 22 December 2006, 03:17 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I'm all up for regular policing, I think it can only be a good thing. But as with any job/situation you are always going to get someone abusing their power/role and it's generally those ones that we hear about

I got pulled about a mile off Junction 36 M1, not far from you GC8.
Old 22 December 2006, 03:37 PM
Travis_Bickle
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by monkeyboy840
Cant say anything about attitude but who do you think made it that safe?

Those marine type of people. Gun crime was at an all time high two years ago until they started carrying firearms overtly.

Although a good attitude is a good start.
Mate; Im sorry that you think that. By your flawed reckoning then we'd be safer still living in Police state. Whats described is little more than a clandestine arming of the police, which right-thinking people do not want. It was warranted in Nottingham, although it should not be permanent: there is nothing to justify it in Sheffield and there never has been.
Old 22 December 2006, 03:50 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Travis_Bickle
Mate; Im sorry that you think that. By your flawed reckoning then we'd be safer still living in Police state. Whats described is little more than a clandestine arming of the police, which right-thinking people do not want. It was warranted in Nottingham, although it should not be permanent: there is nothing to justify it in Sheffield and there never has been.

Didn't say living in a Police state would make things safer, there your words.

'which right-thinking people do not want' = People that live in a sugar coated topping of the world.

How many times do those people have to face guns and knives on a daily basis. Not many, some but not many.

Most members of the public do not see or do not wish to see the real world until it finds them.

Why should arming not be permanent? you have no good argument I can think of for that one. I dont think arming the whole police forces cart blanch is a good idea, that I agree with but arming a select few is.

Four Police Officers have been fatally wounded in the last year and a half by my count. Now IF they had been armed that may have been a different outcome.

Oh and I work in sheffield and have done for the past 12 years so have come to see the changes.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion thats just mine.
Old 22 December 2006, 03:52 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
But as with any job/situation you are always going to get someone abusing their power/role and it's generally those ones that we hear about

I got pulled about a mile off Junction 36 M1, not far from you GC8.
I agree Flaps, thats the problem, everyone is tarred with the same brush thanks to the few who get a 'power trip' just wearing the uniform.

We hate em in our job not its not just you.

Last edited by monkeyboy840; 22 December 2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 22 December 2006, 04:50 PM
fisherpl
Scooby Regular

I was surprised because gun related crime is far less common in Sheffield

????? You should try working near Burngreave! If it's not common I would hate to think what was!!!!
Old 22 December 2006, 05:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youre missing the point that Im making. Tidgy I'll answer your message when I have a little more time.

Simon
Old 22 December 2006, 05:31 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

I argee with you simon, bad attitudes are a problem
Old 23 December 2006, 03:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I still have a positive overall view of the Police.

However, I can't help thinking that their work is a bit too "target" driven.
Was pulled over a couple of weeks ago for having front fogs on and a headlight bulb out. In the past that would have resulted in a warning and ca demand to have the bulb fixed within a certain period. In fact, it resulted in a £30 fine. I think the Police are less able to use their sicretion thses days.
Old 23 December 2006, 03:31 PM
terzo282
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i spent 10yrs in the army and have carried firearms of one sort or another in kosovo,northern ireland ,iraq and afganistan. and you see just as much bull**** and bravado in the army dont suppose its any differant with coppers , down to a persons attitude i believe from my experience.proberly a novelty carrying firearms in public seen it loads of times with young squaddies new to battlions on operations
Old 23 December 2006, 05:57 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have close connection with the German Politzi and have had a few conversations with them about this.

They often find them a hinderance. Any the sidearms they carry are sometimes taken off them and used against them.

The key issue from their point of view. Are the rules of engagement. These are so tight in Germany that a handgun can become more of a liability than an advantage at times. Unlike certain areas in the US where I believe it doesnt take much for a policeman to start behaving like Clint Eastwood

The key issue is not the carrying of guns but how are you legaly allowed to use them.

Steve
Old 23 December 2006, 06:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
no one even bats an eyelid in nottingham when they see cosp with guns.

thats the thing, all this agro about people saying no shouldn't carry them yada yada yada, but once people see them more than once or twice then no one cares anymore.

most other countries have armed officers, and no one cares, there more bothered about the fact police can respond with enough force to stop criminals

Try living in Northern Ireland during the "troubles" - they actually pointed them at you.

First time over in NI with my English girlfriend (now wife ), we came across a random army checkpoint in the middle of nowhere - nearly shat herself lol