Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Very scary and very relevant.
Old 01 November 2000, 10:37 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Anyone else see Crash Investigators on Ch4 last night....

Makes you stop and think a bit! And I think I'll give Motorbikes a miss!

Programs like this should be given a more prominent airing IMO ( BBC1/ITV prime time ), if the government is serious about cutting injuries/deaths on the roads this is the sort of thing people need to see! Somewhat more informative than Eastenders!

What did others think?

Scott! - Drove a bit more carefully this morning!
Old 01 November 2000, 10:50 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

I saw it. Very good - quite chilling.
Old 01 November 2000, 10:53 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

....'Chilling' meaning worrying - not some Ali G term for cool or anything like that.

Old 01 November 2000, 11:01 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Certainly sent a chill down my spine.

Definitely needs to be shown on BBC / ITV during Primetime to make lots of others to "stop and think".

The Investigator Police guy at the end was right people need educating. The program seemed a very good media for education ~ but needed a wider audiance that Ch4.

Certainly a very good, no bull, informative production.

Mark

Old 01 November 2000, 11:07 AM
SWOLL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Excellent show, it certainly made me think on my way to work this morning.

No matter how good a driver you are there's always the pratt coming the other way.
Old 01 November 2000, 11:10 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Red face

And always that time when you do something and think - "What the hell was I thinking"

Scott!
Old 01 November 2000, 11:34 AM
M@TT
Scooby Regular

Made me think about all the "wrong" manoevers I've done ! Watch it with the woman and we couldn;t turn over.

Concentration seem to be the name of the game but the problem with my driving is using the same stretch of road day in day out - think I'll look for different routes every now and again.

Old 01 November 2000, 11:44 AM
Keanu
Scooby Newbie

Question

I unfortunately missed the program. I don't suppose anyone knows if it's going to be repeated any time in the near future?

At least if it was on ITV it would be repeated on ITV2!
Old 01 November 2000, 01:10 PM
Rick Dyer
Scooby Newbie

I taped it but I'm not IT literate enough to get it into a format where it could be shared.
It was particularly interesting about the Mondeo who was so intimidated by another driver up his bottom that he made the error of judgement to overtake the lorry and then lost it on the bend. It's so easy to be intimidated like that. I felt really sorry for the chap who died and as to the guy who intimidated him, didn't stop at the accident and then got away with it when they found him.....well words fail me.
Old 01 November 2000, 01:36 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Reality hurts! not in the literal sense, although that does too...
The idea of leaving the crashed vehicles at the side of the road seemed in theory a good idea by the copper, but you'ed probable have a crash yourself whilst rubber necking at them!!!!!
Concentration seemed to be the key, if your have your wits about you, you'll avoid hitting anyone/anything and also be aware of others that don't have their wits about them.
Very difficult though when you do the same route everyday.
As far as immidation goes, all you worry about is your stopping distance infront of you (for obvious insurance reasons!). If some tw@t is sitting on your @rse then dip your mirror if need be and let him weave or even overtake being mindfull of their inevitable cut up on you front quarter.
A good idea would have been to show a computer animated version of events, just to bring home the urgency of such events!
Old 01 November 2000, 01:46 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The number of times that I have seen drivers take stupid risks to get past learner drivers is astounding. I have seen at least 5 near misses when people have gotten annoyed with sitting behind a learner and pulled out at a totally inappropriate time.

With people who do that (and there are plenty of them) it is a matter of when something goes wrong. Some people never learn until its too late unfortunately.
Old 01 November 2000, 03:56 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

A couple of Army bases I've visited have had cars that squaddies have crashed placed at the gates. One even had a mannequin decked out with blood across the bonnet. Quite effective the first few times you see it, but after a very short time, you become oblivious to it.

Education is important, but also frequent reminders - with programmes/adverts etc - can also be just as effective.

Jerome.
Old 01 November 2000, 04:20 PM
SWOLL
Scooby Regular

AWD,

Your right about learner drivers. When the missus was learning I once went out without realising i still had the L plates on. It was an experience I can tell you. I drove the same as usual (fairly quick but not dangerous) and had about 5 people attempt to over or undertake me in a 2 mile journey!
Old 03 November 2000, 08:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

I agree that it was an excellent program, but it was slightly spoilt by the investigator _driving_ to the scene of an accident with his walkie-talkie in his hand. Not a very good example for us "mortals".

mb
Old 04 November 2000, 11:06 AM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

But remember boomer.......these are trained professionals......(synical me....No,no,no officer)

a.who will still do you for using a mobile on the move.
b. having a drink of a 'soft' drink even tho' you are still looking at the car in front...
(up yours alistair stewart !!....Po*ce)
c.Have collegues that are responsible for approx 15% of road accidents/....fatalities of pedestrians.

OOOOYYYYY BLaiiiRRR, NOooo,
you don't mention the last one do you....for road safety......
Blame the population, after all we're all peasants who arn't allowed an opinion!
Old 07 November 2000, 12:24 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

The laws governing people who kill other people using cars are still woefully inappropriate. It must be horrendous for s family who has just lost a loved one to see the person responsible just get a meagre fine and be allowed to carry on driving.

Sickens me.

Rant over.

The program on channel 5 is a series so there are a sequence of programs following the crash unit around.
Old 07 November 2000, 11:33 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There is a similar programme on Channel 5 on Mondays @ 20:00 called 'Crash Detectives'. There will also be something broadcast early next year by the BBC (BBC1 prime-time) where they sat in with a Metropolitan Police Accident Investigation crew for a week.

Fair comment about the use of the car radio while driving. I was on a course with the chap concerned last week; he won't be making the same mistake in the production of the second series next year!

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 07 November 2000).]
Old 07 November 2000, 11:39 AM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

Did any of you notice the silly cow who got prosecuted for driving without due care, when she killed the poor guy on the bike? They only gave her 9 points and £200 fine....not even a small ban for a mans life......disgusting
Old 07 November 2000, 04:26 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Slight correction StuartH, (appologies sir)

It's just called 'CRASH' - so you might be forgiven for thinking it is just some senasationalist cheap US style program - IT IS ACTUALLY VERY GOOD.

It shows the work of North Yorkshire Police Accident Investigation Unit. It is very well presented and not at all like that ITV crap.

Absolutely chilling!

Chris

Old 09 November 2000, 11:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stuart H:
<B>Fair comment about the use of the car radio while driving. I was on a course with the chap concerned last week; he won't be making the same mistake in the production of the second series next year![/quote]

Stuart, r u saying that you venture "up North" occasionally (or did the CCLW come darn sarf)?

mb (who originally comes from the area covered in that episode)

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 09 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 09:03 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Smile

We both ended up in Cardiff (Possibly <B>THE</B> worst place ever to drive a car/navigate/walk/live etc).

It would appear that judging by the size of the bar bill that Northerners do like a "drink or two"!!
Old 10 November 2000, 12:49 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Angry

OH Bottoms! Working late & missed it. I knew I had to tape something!!!!

I don't suppose anyone could send me a tape of it? Of couse I would cover postage etc....
Drop me a message if you can.