Sponsored by:

CAN THEY DO THIS...?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2001, 11:47 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Driving along today minding my own business. Pulled up next to a panda car with 3 coppers in it at the lights. Lights changed, I let them pull off, I pulled off, pootled along behind them, next set of lights, same again. Came to a large round about. Sat there waiting to join for 30 odd seconds, saw a decent gap and pulled out.

Next thing I know, i'm being pulled, now get this, I got pulled for driving too agressively

The copper said that i "booted" it onto the roundabout and as such "must" have been exceeding the speed limit on the roundabout.

Now i don't as a rule, mind being pulled for checks and things, but this was typical coppers with **** all else to do syndrome.

I was made to go sit in thier panda and suffer the indignaty of being spoken to like a child, when he mentioned the speeding thing and dangerous driving and lack of care on a wet road etc, and I lost it

I reeled out a few profanities, expressing how disgusted i was with the police force and the dictatorship like treatment I was recieving, told him that had i have booted it in the wet, he'd have known about it, and as to the claim of speeding, i demanded that he prove it to me. He said, "I don't need to, I'm a police officer"

That really sent me off into one and i told him to book me for speeding and lets see if it stands up in court, i ended up with a producer

I told him that I was going to be out of the country for 3 months and all he said was, well bring your documents in when its convienient.

Now personally, I think i was being used as a training excercise, but pulling me over because in his opinion I was being aggressive behind the wheel, or in his opinion I was speeding sucks. As to the Judge Dread type "I am the law" attitude, that can't be right.

Do I report him?

Mikey
Old 27 November 2001, 11:50 AM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

And some people wonder where stereotypes come from

That would have wound me up a treat

My sympathies
Old 27 November 2001, 11:52 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Do it..... they are not allowed to play the Almighty role.

If you can get him in some kind of trouble then hopefully his attitude wont be passed on to the other two in the car.

And may prove to be a lesson to others.

We can be victims of our own success at times and its not fair...

If you were speeding then fair enough, but to be plodding along and get pulled is harsh..

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck
Old 27 November 2001, 11:52 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

If it was a training exercise then it backfired big time, his students would have thought he was a total tool, how NOT to do it! I reckon jealousy plays a big part in this sort of incident too.

Brave of you to give 'em some stick though!
Old 27 November 2001, 11:53 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

I would suggest filing a complaint but it is the police we are talking about so don't bother [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I feel mad for you Mikey
Old 27 November 2001, 11:55 AM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

I say take action on the officer and make it a proper training exercise for the other two..."Don't do this in the future"
Old 27 November 2001, 11:55 AM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] WHAT AN IDIOT [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Really sorry to hear about this. Go and report him mate, you've got nothing to lose.

(Well done for giving him a piece of your mind! )
Kos.
Old 27 November 2001, 11:56 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Angry

GRRRRRRRR!!!!! well done for saying summit!!.. proud of u mate!
Old 27 November 2001, 11:56 AM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

Having said that I made a complaint against the Police after I got treated very poorly and put in a cell overnight and I got absolutely nowhere.

Fighting a losing battle me thinks.
Old 27 November 2001, 12:02 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

You have the guy's collar number and station on the producer... make a complaint to his superior officer, or the highest ranking officer at the station. I have made a complaint through the official channel before and was satisfied with the way it was handled.
Old 27 November 2001, 12:06 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

Similar thing happened to me a few months ago when I got stopped for having my foglights on. The policeman really milked it, talking down to me asking if the owner of the car knew I was driving, asking if I had read the owners manual (I had no idea the foglights were even on) and making me play a little guessing game as to why I had been pulled over. Basically I had just given the car a good clean and had switched them on as I wiped the dash. I completely admitted to it and told them how it happened and the policeman said I had better explain that one to the Judge!! I bet even Fred West didn't get the treatment I got from them (and it was in a public place, they followed me into the petrol station).

Wish I had the guts to say something rather than just stand there and take it. I think they saw a young guy in a new Impreza and thought lets give him some grief. They knew there was nothing they could do but got some kick out of trying to **** me up.

Report them I wish I had now.
Old 27 November 2001, 12:10 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Joey - You deserved it for inappropriate use of lighting

Mickey - report him. It might stop him from hassleing some who won't stand up for themselves
Old 27 November 2001, 12:44 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Mikey - shoulda told him to go **** himself - you now have his name and number on your producer document so go and make an official complaint...
As you away for a bit, you wont feel the heat - if you werent away, a cynic might allege that you would start getting some harrassment ( I am no cynic however )
ps How come I got flamed on my thread for winding up the latest copper to bollock me and Mikey gets praised
Must be 'cos everyone thinks I'm a tosser... which I am
Old 27 November 2001, 12:51 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Your title says it all, and they will contiue to do so unless we all make a stand when it happens. Deffo report him. Phone the nick and ask to make an official complaint. You will chat to an inspector who will try to talk you out of it. Next stage you give all the facts to another inspector. (In detail). Then he will ask you if you wish to have the matter resolved formally or informally. Basically informal is a chat from the coppers boss. Formal is papers to the Police Complaints Authority.

Good luck, and let us know.

[Edited by Shark - 11/27/2001 12:52:17 PM]
Old 27 November 2001, 01:17 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Joey - You deserved it for inappropriate use of lighting

Fast Bloke,

I think that's a bit harsh.

blubs
Old 27 November 2001, 01:25 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Word of warning with the producer, you may find that it has to be produced within a time limit (such as seven days) and not when you get around to it. I would encourage you to check, because if you don't produce your documents, you might end up with a warrant out for your arrest!
Old 27 November 2001, 01:29 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

fast bloke,

Even though I didn't realise I had the front foglights on I admitted it and would have been more than happy to pay the fine. To treat me like a criminal and to talk down to me was I thought a little out of order. To come out with a load of crap about me having to go to court and talking to me as if I am some sort of idiot in front of people is what really annoyed me. If it was such a serious offence how come I didn't even get a producer let alone a fine??

I wonder if my Father would have got the same treatment had it been him? Doesn't matter anyway all it has done now has given me the incentive to give them grief next time they stop me for nothing.

Do we think I got pulled because of the foglights or because I am a young guy driving a new Impreza and he didn't like that?.
Old 27 November 2001, 01:30 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I feel for you but would excercise some caution.

Myself and a group of other bikers got stopped for speeding, we all ewnt to court convinced they could not accutately catch about 8 bikes in a line.

The police and the judge had to grant that accurate readings were not possible.

but all the policeman did was stand up and said the phrase 'i've been a policeman for x years and in my opninion they were all well in excess of the speed limit'.

and that was that.

month bans for those at the front (who were caught on hand held device) and three points and fines for the rest of us.
Old 27 November 2001, 01:32 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Ditto what DavidRB said. My girlfriend had to produce her documents after an accident and couldn't find one of the documents so had to get a replacement. By the time she got to the Police Station to produce, it was well after the 7 days and there was indeed a warant out for her arrest. First thing they did was read her her rights which was not pleasant for her.

Do it as soon as possible just to get it out of the way.
Old 27 November 2001, 01:33 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oops - Joey - Blubs. That statement was supposed to be followed by the mandatory . Sorry
Old 27 November 2001, 01:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

do you report him/them? YES without a doubt.

as you said, let them take you to court, they have from what you have said absolutey no physical evidence whatsover that you were speeding, so report them, and consider taking legal advice if they get all nasty towards you.

Obviously these guys had nothing better to do and wanted to waste your time. and people wonder why we have such low perceptions of the police when they pull this kind of crap.

oh, and if after you have reported them you get pulled a lot, followed, whatever then write to the police complaints board and complain that after you reporting officers your now getting police harrasment, cc the letter to the local newspaper. should sort things out.
Old 27 November 2001, 02:01 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Do as MorayMackenzie says. Write the letter to a superior officer, indicating that you felt justifiably victimised due to being picked out purely as an exercise... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

...Give an account of the entire conversation including the "I don't have to, I'm a policeman" line. Whilst at the same time apologising for your use of abusive language (just do it), implying that was your only re-course given the block-headed nature of the individual. Previously you've only had respect for officers of the law, had no problem dealing with them previously, etc, etc...

At the least, it'll mean the copper involved will be hoiked up in front of a superior, and will be tied up in paperwork for a good while. It really ***** 'em up.
Old 27 November 2001, 02:08 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got an appointment with the coppers superior this afternoon at 16:00hrs.

Thanks for the support sofar, (Nothing personal i'm sure Mr Askew ) i'll let you know what occours

Mikey
Old 27 November 2001, 02:13 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Angry

Had the same sometime back.Driving down road ,traffic car coming other way,i carry on ,he must have spun round and floored it to catch me up.I know i'm going to get pulled so turn down a few different streets and he's still following,so i pull over .He stops behind ,i get out and all he says is "This is a 30 zone" I know i was doing 30 i said."there or there abouts" was his response and lets me off.
Are all Coppers Ars$ho*%s??
Old 27 November 2001, 02:44 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mikey,

Ooohhh this really winds me up [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Can't add any advice but can add my support. Top marks for standing your ground Mikey.

All that aggression will be from that extra red meat you had.

Let us know how you get on.

Lee
Old 27 November 2001, 02:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Good luck Mikey
Old 27 November 2001, 02:57 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just keep use informed please.

Ian
Old 27 November 2001, 02:59 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Definitely go for the formal approach. I still regret not making a formal complaint against a heavy-handed power crazy copper a few years ago. Maybe if he had an official complaint against him he would mend his ways and not dish out the same treatment to others.

This reminds me of the story of a WPC being beaten up as she tried to arrest someone in a busy public place - no one came to assist. Despite the fact I deplore any attack on a copper (let alone a lone female), it will become more commonplace if the Police fail to improve their image with the general public. The vast majority of the population only ever deal with the Police for traffic related reasons. All the more reason for traffic cops/panda drivers to be *extra* reasonable when dealing with the public.

Go get him Mikey!
Old 27 November 2001, 02:59 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

biker man,

did they really manage to do you on the say so of a copper. Was that a long time ago? I'm surprised they can do that with no evidence! Did you have a solicitor or anyone to defend you?

cheers
Juan
Old 27 November 2001, 03:00 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Go get em Mikey. Good luck, keep us informed

Quick Reply: CAN THEY DO THIS...?