Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you Green or Mean?
I Couldn't give a monkeys about the environment, the world can implode in 50 years for all i care
53.13%
I feel guilty but wouldn't give up the performance gain i get
15.63%
I know i'm in the wrong but i only do a few thousand miles a year
19.79%
I wouldn't even think of decatting my car, i want my children to grow up in a pollution free world
11.46%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

With all the talk of global warming recently, where do you stand on decats...

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2006, 12:26 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question With all the talk of global warming recently, where do you stand on decats...

and the effect on the environment?
Old 23 November 2006, 12:35 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

I thought that when the cat is cold it don't work too well. So for cold weather short trips the cat is useless.

In fact it might be that when cold it isn't cleaning the exhaust gases and is just restricting the engine and causing more pollution?
Old 23 November 2006, 01:03 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Would have preferred an option in between, but I don't feel guilty for not having a cat so went with the monkeys
Old 23 November 2006, 01:05 PM
GeoffMM
Scooby Regular

What we do is nothing compared to the yanks.
Do you think arnie cares when he is pumping out the equivelant of 10 scoobs when driving along in his H1
Old 23 November 2006, 01:09 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

I spend all day every day trying to reduce the carbon output and envirnmental impact of buildings so as far as I'm concerned I'm doing more than my bit and have slung my cat firmly over the nearest hedge!!!

Until my first MOT of course!!!
Old 23 November 2006, 01:10 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I know they are expensive but a good quality sports cat will only see a small drop in BHP compaired to a full decat and no emission problems come MOT time.

Wolfie.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:12 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

Mangel what job u do mate? i am a trainee architect (well technologist) and we have to do carbon output and reductions now,

I am having my cat done next week so dont bother me... but i only do a few thousand a year
Old 23 November 2006, 01:13 PM
New_scooby_04

There is an awful lot of tosh talked about global warming and -in particular- the contribution that motorists are making to it. The fact is we're just a convenient target and a great way of making money for unscrupulous, greedy, inefficient governements.

That said, it is a point of good morals and sense that if you can do something to reduce the crap you dump into the environment (regardless of whether it contributes to so-called greenhouse gasses etc), you should. We all have to live on the planet, we all have a duty not to trash it.

Sports cats cost as little as £299 these days i.e. not much more than a decat. You get no hassle at MOT and the car is completely road legal.

It's a no-brainer IMHO!

Ns04
Old 23 November 2006, 01:17 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor
Mangel what job u do mate? i am a trainee architect (well technologist) and we have to do carbon output and reductions now,

I am having my cat done next week so dont bother me... but i only do a few thousand a year
Building Services Engineering Manager!!!
Old 23 November 2006, 01:18 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Sports cats cost as little as £299 these days i.e. not much more than a decat. You get no hassle at MOT and the car is completely road legal.

It's a no-brainer IMHO!

Ns04
If you drive a classic.

Find me a newage sports d/p for that money...
Old 23 November 2006, 01:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

[quote=New_scooby_04]There is an awful lot of tosh talked about global warming and -in particular- the contribution that motorists are making to it. The fact is we're just a convenient target and a great way of making money for unscrupulous, greedy, inefficient governements.

Indeed there is, this is a fine example
Old 23 November 2006, 01:19 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

cows affect it more, check it out.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:19 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Swapped the decat for a sports cat and noticed no difference either in noise or power reduction.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
If you drive a classic.

Find me a newage sports d/p for that money...
Scoobyworld just released one for the new age mate!! found out about it this morning!!

ns04
Old 23 November 2006, 01:20 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Originally Posted by Jonno_johnson
cows affect it more, check it out.
So stop eating McBurgers
Old 23 November 2006, 01:23 PM
New_scooby_04

[quote=Martin2005]
There is an awful lot of tosh talked about global warming and -in particular- the contribution that motorists are making to it. The fact is we're just a convenient target and a great way of making money for unscrupulous, greedy, inefficient governements.

Indeed there is, this is a fine example
You need to do some reading that isn't produced by the government Martin!! I'm afriad that the so called evidence for global warming and man's impact on it simply does NOT add up!!

You'll note that afterwards I did say that irrespective if whether you buy the global warming argument you should still do what you can to reduce pollution!

I have a sports cat- was happy to pay the extra.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 23 November 2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:28 PM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Would have preferred an option in between, but I don't feel guilty for not having a cat so went with the monkeys

Same here Plus my 94 import is Legal (being decat'd )
Old 23 November 2006, 01:32 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

what you have to ask yourself is does global warming (man made or natural) exist at all, or is this the con of the milennium!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/05/nosplit/nwarm05.xml
Old 23 November 2006, 01:36 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

just so you know my stance on this, i've been catted for over 3 years now although i have driven decatted cars in that time
Old 23 November 2006, 01:47 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Why are we talking about global warming and catalytic converters?

If you believe the hype, global warming is "caused" by CO2.

Catalytic converters DO NOT convert the CO2 in the exhaust. In fact if anything they cause it to increase slightly.

Cats remove the nasties caused by the spark (NOx etc), unburnt fuel and carbon monoxide.

If you want to improve air quality, have a cat. If you want to reduce your carbon emissions, take the cat out, and be a little less heavy on the right foot. Oh and buy a milk float, and drive that to work instead!

Last edited by Sprint Chief; 23 November 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:51 PM
cnewboult
Scooby Regular

cars and pollution are a drop in the ocean compared with business pollution ! and if the theories are to be believed global warming is actually a natural phenomoenom and what we do has very little effect on it.
Old 23 November 2006, 02:08 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Having worked in that past on tankers transporting all this oil to the states for them to burn, and burning up to 50,000gallons a day of the highest sulphur content fuel you can get.. Not having a cat is just a drop in the ocean compared with the damage i've already done.

Oh well, I'm leaning toward the idea that it's generally over publicised rubbish anyway.
Old 23 November 2006, 02:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

full decast in mine, i realise that its not so good for the environment, but, i only ever drive it at weekends/evnings and i only do about 6k a year max. not as though i drive a landrover that does 5 miles to the gallon to get into the middle of the city everyday for work, i use the bus to, theres my saving the environment
Old 23 November 2006, 03:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It's all a bit of a moot point, really. The only certainty is that the oil will run out. Humankind will burn it all, the only question is over how long a period.

I personally expect to live to see the global economic chaos that will ensue as oil prices skyrocket, and I'm not looking forward to it one bit.
Old 23 November 2006, 03:04 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Ns04
With a sports cat downpipe/decat centre am I correct in thinking you will still pass emissions?

What about a remap with this set up - necessary?
Old 23 November 2006, 03:09 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Wheres the "i've decatted mine because the additional pollution it produces pales into absolute insignificance when compared to the increases in pollution of China and India for example, and if my government really cared about pollution they would be too busy addressing other contributors to get overly concerned about the UK motorists contribution."?

How about the "I've been brainwashed by government propagand and am happy to not decat my car, despite the performance gains on offer, because I believe it will make a real difference. I am also happy to pay the Green Tax's to boot." option too?
Old 23 November 2006, 03:11 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

As far as the kids go - the pollution emitted by diesels is far worse to human health and a likely cause of asthma.

You switch to a TDi and you're doing more to harm humans than blasting around in your sports catted Scoob.
Old 23 November 2006, 03:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben v7
Wheres the "i've decatted mine because the additional pollution it produces pales into absolute insignificance when compared to the increases in pollution of China and India for example, and if my government really cared about pollution they would be too busy addressing other contributors to get overly concerned about the UK motorists contribution."?

How about the "I've been brainwashed by government propagand and am happy to not decat my car, despite the performance gains on offer, because I believe it will make a real difference. I am also happy to pay the Green Tax's to boot." option too?
amen lol
Old 23 November 2006, 03:15 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Talking

i can't add anymore poll options, Ben
Old 23 November 2006, 03:17 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Do you really believe we have made an impact on the climate? I for one am not taken in by all this ****e spouted about global warming... It's a conspiracy to get more money out of us. Did you know 60k years ago there was 16 times more CO2 in the atmosphere as there is today? And that was bang in the middle on an ice age that lasted 5k years!!!!! So I pollute as much as I can, I leave the tap running all day. (a billion litres a day lost through broken pipes that they can't be arsed to mend!!) I don't recycle (most of it is shipped off to china where it put in landfill sites!!) I rob the tax man at every opportunity (just like the ***** who sit in parliament!) And I Feel so good knowing that I for one am not in the flock like the rest of you sheep who will take in washing!!! and believe whatever this dictatorship put out on their state run media.
dave

Quick Reply: With all the talk of global warming recently, where do you stand on decats...