Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THE BBC RALLY COVERAGE?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2001, 06:29 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry

Well what did you think of the BBC coverage of the Britsh Rally??
IMHO I thought it was absolute crap.
This rally used to be one of our British "Blue Chip" sporting Events. It has now been reduced to a couple of slots in between Horse racing and repeated Rugby Perhaps the organisers have also contributed to it's fall by making it The Rally of Wales

Tony
Ps. My heart goes out to the people injured on the event. Also their family, friends and Carlos Sianz Hope you all get well soon.
Old 25 November 2001, 06:37 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets wait and see how Channel 4 do next year.

Tim
Old 25 November 2001, 06:49 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

IMHO they needed to improve it a lot before it was even crap.

When I switch on this type of prog, I want to see the new coverage, not spend half the time going over what's already happened. I reckon I must have seen Colin's crash at least a dozen times now.

To top it all, after Eurosports footage last night, I switched on the BBC news. The story featured Colin's crash, then the very next shots were of Burnsie with the words 'Let's see if he can hold on to become Britains first ever world champion' - I kid you not.

Mike.

Old 25 November 2001, 07:05 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Angry

See Motorsport Forum

Huxley
Old 25 November 2001, 07:08 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Smile

I was in Wales - so problem solved!

Seriously though, was it that bad? I might have had my ugly mug on the Beeb as I was in a crowd right near a BBC cameraman. Anyone know if it's being repeated?

I did remember to set the timer on the VCR for the Eurosport coverage though...
Old 25 November 2001, 07:13 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Den, unless you were on top of a big hill, in a field of sheep or in the grounds of a country house I think it's highly unlikely you'll be on telly I think the camera crews were lost and missed the rally, this cleary explians the lack of coverage[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 25 November 2001, 07:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

All the BBC seem to be interested in is the accidents that befell Colin and Carlos. Shame really as it just gives a bad image to the sport.

Chip.
Old 25 November 2001, 07:24 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Bob - I was at the top of a hill on SS16 (Rheola 2) - right near a gate and the cameraman caught the spectators nearby I think.

The highlight of the rally for me was driving from one stage to another and coming across Richard Burns on the public road! ;-)

My mate did his best to follow (despite the best efforts of a Mercedes people carrier with Irish plates) - so we got some photos! I'll be slinging them on my website sometime... :-)

Old 25 November 2001, 07:29 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

What Coverage!!
Old 25 November 2001, 07:32 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sorry and all that But when you get your ticket IT Clearly says on the back Motor sport is DANGEROUS and any person that enters does so Entirely at their own RISK so The news channels will be blowing this up and make Rallying look dangerous, perhaps there might have been a spectator problem be hey thats motor sport,my sympathies for the spectators that were injured and think how Carlos and Louis feel !!!!!!

So why do they have to blow it all out of proportion on the "little" bit of tv coverage they gave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huxley

Roll on Dave Richards WRC coverage on telly
Old 25 November 2001, 07:35 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Huxley -

Just like the news channels do with anything else - they thrive on bad news and give it loads of coverage - and good news gets a quick 5 seconds slot.... ar$ehole$
Old 25 November 2001, 07:47 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Exactly - what coverage!

Putting highlights on late at night is pretty cr@p. If it was duing weekdays then fair enough, but I'd expect a lot better coverage over a full weekend. Personally I've been keeping up-to-date with Eurosport.

As far as the dangers to spectators, then it is made quite clear that it is dangerous when you attend the events. I've spectated at a few always new that I had to look out for myself and any family/friends that were with me. It's not just car rallies, I've spent some time watching Enduro racing in some of the Scottish forests and never felt the urge to stand in the firing line of some motorcrosser doing 40mph.

It's down to the organisers/marshall's to make it as safe as possible and to move any spectators that are in a very dangerous position. It does come down to your own common sense though.

I noticed on some of the TV clips photographers standing not too far from the exit of some fast corners. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what'll happen if the driver looses control.

Suppose the Marshall's would have a tough job telling a group of people to move out of the way. I'm sure they'd probably get told to f@!k off

Stefan
Old 25 November 2001, 08:13 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

All i can say is that 'roll on next year when C4 cover it. In my rally program there is an article about what they are planning next year:

Preview each of the stages on friday
sameday day coverage on sat & sun
possible live coverage

BBC don't deserve any coverage of motorsport, remember what they did for suprbikes Skysports coverage was superb when they had it

Scott
Old 25 November 2001, 08:17 PM
Topcat1974
Scooby Regular

Angry

I agree entirely. Rally spectating is bound to be dangerous... you wouldn't stand on the central reservation of the motorway would you? And on gravel at similar (or higher) speed watching rally cars at full chat has to present some sort of a risk - people have to be sensible. I just hope there will be no knee jerk reaction to this... ALthough clearly I hope that all the injured people come out of this fine.

As for the BBC coverage I thought it was appalling. 15 mins this afternoon of Burnsie crossing the line and getting out of his car is NOT enough. "So Richard, how do you feel?"... cutting edge journalism this!!! I caught the last couple of minutes of a second report this afternoon 'cos the timing wasn't publicised and I was not especially excited by the "racing from Aintree"!!!!!

Anyway, rant over... Nice one Richard!!!
Old 25 November 2001, 08:27 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

What will the BBC do???

Probably nothing

But next year channel 4 have promised to take rallying to a greater audience.....

Seen their plans written in papers and mags, looks really good....

Will they live up to their promise???

I hope so
Old 25 November 2001, 08:47 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Ozzy is right: anyone see Alistair have a backward moment last night on Eurosport, nearly flattening a few fat photographers? Sensible place to stand, on the outside of a 'flat downhill into tight hairpin left' type bend. Not. A Media pass hanging around your neck will not save you. Neither will a bright yellow tabard.

Common sense usually prevails when spectating. In poor old Carlos's case, it did not.

As for the BBC coverage: say no more. Roll on C4.
Old 25 November 2001, 09:08 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Anyway if a news photographer happens to get in the way on a bend and ends up as a mud flap we might get a bit more coverage of the rally all be it some more bad press for motor sport, anyway if you look down an empty hosepipe with the tap turned on you're going to get wet,like standing in the way of a rally car on a bend! like some of the photographers we have seen on tv

A group of people are probably not going to listen to a marshal on his own telling them that it's not safe to be there when they have payed their money and want to see the action close up ?

Huxley

At least it's not like when they are rallying abroad, the crowd control is next to feckall
Old 25 November 2001, 10:24 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sh1te
Old 25 November 2001, 10:29 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hilights are on SUNDAY 10:55pm BBC1 till 11:40pm let's hope it's of better Qquality than the crap we've seen so far
Old 25 November 2001, 10:47 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I made it onto tele . Have spotted myself on the Eurosport coverage just after they show the positions at the end of Saturday they cut to a close-up view of the crowd at Rheola 1 by the two gates. Muggins is stood there arms crossed and then looks round. I look as wet as I felt
Just gonna watch BBC coverage to see what they show.

Mark
Old 26 November 2001, 12:19 AM
schuey
Scooby Regular

F***ing sucked.
Thank god for eurosport, who were also quicker with stage results.
Also posted in motorsport section.

Jon
Old 26 November 2001, 12:36 AM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Which coverage?

I've seen just some interviews!??!?!?!?!?$$%^^&$%"$%&^
Old 26 November 2001, 08:38 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Couldn't agree more.
Absolute boll0x.
I feel a well worded, diplomatically rude letter coming on.....
Old 26 November 2001, 11:43 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I agree completely. Why did they bother having the Introduction program on thursday, ramping up the event into the true showdown it was going to be and then not cover it.

I mean, even the 30 min program screened (late) on saturday night had a 15 minute review of the 2 previous prgrams before it.

What a waste of time. If Channel 4 have the rights next year there is no way they can do a worse job of covering it and it can only be better!

Paul
Old 26 November 2001, 03:07 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

What coverage????? Seriously though if you were a BBC controller would you hype/spend money on a sporting event that you knew you were losing next year? Probably not.
Old 26 November 2001, 03:54 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

not true, President,

The future is something apart. Doing television means AUDIENCE. The more people see it the more you can bomb them with advertising!

Caronte
Old 26 November 2001, 04:52 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

BBC, you are pants.

The BBC are left in a timewarp somewhere in the 1950s with regard to their coverage of anything that involves an engine. Who wants to see so much horse racing (apart from the drunken punters who dash between the pub and the bookies). Rugby, fair enough, but why on the same weekend when so little happens in the other 51.

Can I have my licence fee back please?