leaking boot

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2006, 06:33 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking boot

guys help please

went to my boot today to find the carpet soaked and water in the well.

any ideas where to start i have a 96 wrx

the boot rubber is fine no spilts tears etc. water seeems to be coming in just left to the lock

sp i was thinking the spoiler has not been fitted properly and water is leaking down to the bottom of the boot and trhen coming out of the two hole at the bottom, maybe no gromets or seals used. the other thing is the brake light looks to have water in it maybe it was not seald.

also can you get a replace ment brake light from anywhere i have not seen them sold seperately

just want to know if they have a sweet spot whewre subaru did not line the boot up and is prone to letting water in
Old 17 November 2006, 06:47 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you ain;t had much luck with the car you bought!!
Hopefully its not the case in yours but its quite common for cars that have been rear ended to always suffer from leaks and damp in the boot from then on!
Guess you just have to look real hard to locate where its coming from and then once you've found that you can work out how to fix it..
Old 17 November 2006, 07:00 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

had the odd problem but nothing to major this i would call a minor issue just my car comes fitted with its own water feature guess i am on eof the lucky ones
lol
Old 17 November 2006, 07:55 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% sure you'll find the rear light clusters are leaking, they pretty much ALL do it...... quiet easy to find, and not too hard to resolve, i find it best to put a fan heater in the boot for 5 mins before removing the cluster, it softens the sealer......
Old 17 November 2006, 08:05 PM
andyt5
Scooby Newbie

chek all the overlaps are sealed, i had leak under jack storage and sealed with silicon. another way to find it is get in boot with torch and get missus to pressure wash car.
Old 17 November 2006, 09:15 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem when i first got my my00.
I adjusted the boot lock, so it basically pulls/locks the boot down tighter, thus creating a better seal, and stopping my leak
Give it a try, take about a minute to do!
Old 17 November 2006, 09:18 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
99% sure you'll find the rear light clusters are leaking, they pretty much ALL do it...... quiet easy to find, and not too hard to resolve, i find it best to put a fan heater in the boot for 5 mins before removing the cluster, it softens the sealer......
What he said.

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2006, 09:34 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
What he said.
Ditto!!

Had 2 Impreza's .... both have done the same .... both times, resealing the light clusters cured it!!
Old 17 November 2006, 10:41 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

guys the leak is no where near the clusters its just lft to the lock, and runs down into the wheel well
Old 18 November 2006, 01:28 AM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Best way round it is probably to remove the cover inside the boot that covers the lock mechanism etc.. Then if its not too big a job take the lock part out and put it back in with a smearing of silicone sealent round the edges (just don't put it on any moving parts). That way you should be able to cover up any gaps where it is coming in. Might be worth getting the cover off and sit in the boot with someone shining a really bright light at the area you suspect from the outside.. Then if you can see the light coming through you've found the problem.
Old 18 November 2006, 08:34 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I had this last year. To solve the problem I removed all the boot liner, folded down the rear seats while the wife sprayed water from the hose, I sat inside the boot with a torch looking where the leak was coming from. I found that on mine the boot lid seal was letting water in underneath the lip due to the amount of water flowing. I removed the seal, black siliconed the metal overlaps and then ran a thick bead down the inside of the rubber seal and pushed it back on the lip, closed the boot and let it cure. Not had a problem since. You could use this method for checking if the light clusters are letting in water.

Andy
Old 18 November 2006, 01:11 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
guys the leak is no where near the clusters its just lft to the lock, and runs down into the wheel well
You tried what i said then?