Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED HELP, 22yrs WANNA BUY IMPREZA - NEED GUIDANCE!?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2006, 02:10 PM
navindhars
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP, 22yrs WANNA BUY IMPREZA - NEED GUIDANCE!?

hey im 22 years old and im looking to buy a suburu impreza but i have a few questions to ask about insurance and what type is best to buy.

1st of all ive been searching on autotrader and impreza forums and i see there is alot of suburus that are 96 and 95 that are going for cheap with really low miledge but i want to know even thought they may have low miledge and full mot history, do you recommend getting a old impreza dating back to 95 to 97

2nd insurance - the bigeest killer! - i looked on confused.com and i was quoted sum prices for third party £800 but thats if i lowered the value of the car to like 1500 and i put it on my dads name. If i go fully comp on my name its way too expensive and plus for me to put it on my dads name and to be third party seems to be the best way for me - ive been driving for a year now and i wanna find the cheapest insurance and i need sum names pleasssse.

3rd wheres the best place to look for cheap impreza and whats the best model to get! i want one that has the power but at the samme time that is reasonable on insurance.

4th i need to know if i have an old car like 96 or 97 - what faults will i need to look out for or if i have any impreza whats the common faults i need to watch out for?

5th would you recommend me getting a suburu?
Old 02 November 2006, 02:18 PM
jimjon
Scooby Newbie

the best ones have lexus lights and dump valves

seriously tho, why not wait and gain driving experience, gives you something to look forward to.

i always think its not worth buying a car at the bottom of its selling price range, you'll only get a bad one
Old 02 November 2006, 02:18 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Im 22 mate and I have a Impreza sport, best compromise in a way, unless you are made of money. I pay 670 FC with norwich union with 3yrs ncb under my name.

But if you want to get a turbo, the I think you will have to pay big-ish buck to pay for the insurance and running costs of the car.

These type of questions have come up time, time again, so search - it can be quite fun .
Old 02 November 2006, 02:47 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably best to wait a bit until the insurance is cheaper etc plenty of other decent motors out there. Then again if you've got your heart set on it and (as mentioned) you can afford the (huge) running costs, go for it. I loved mine, great cars and loadsa fun as long as you don't take the p1ss, especially on public roads.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 02 November 2006, 02:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Don't buy one. It will keep you poor. Save your cash and see the world a bit, **** a few birds and enjoy yourself. It's only a car.
Old 02 November 2006, 03:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by navindhars
hey im 22 years old and im looking to buy a suburu impreza but i have a few questions to ask about insurance and what type is best to buy.

1st of all ive been searching on autotrader and impreza forums and i see there is alot of suburus that are 96 and 95 that are going for cheap with really low miledge but i want to know even thought they may have low miledge and full mot history, do you recommend getting a old impreza dating back to 95 to 97

2nd insurance - the bigeest killer! - i looked on confused.com and i was quoted sum prices for third party £800 but thats if i lowered the value of the car to like 1500 and i put it on my dads name. If i go fully comp on my name its way too expensive and plus for me to put it on my dads name and to be third party seems to be the best way for me - ive been driving for a year now and i wanna find the cheapest insurance and i need sum names pleasssse.

3rd wheres the best place to look for cheap impreza and whats the best model to get! i want one that has the power but at the samme time that is reasonable on insurance.

4th i need to know if i have an old car like 96 or 97 - what faults will i need to look out for or if i have any impreza whats the common faults i need to watch out for?

5th would you recommend me getting a suburu?
1) No, not unless you can afford big bills. There are some genuinely excellent cars of that age out there, but most are tired old dogs! Even the good ones will require a bit of TLC; they are 10 year old cars that are unlikely to have been driven gently afterall!

2) 3rd party??? Can you afford to loose the value of the car??? Big no no! Putting it in on your dad's insurance is an even bigger no, no! It's illegal as you are misrepresenting the main driver of the car! If you have an accident chances are the insurance company will smell a rat and void your policy they CAN and WILL do this. Speak to Gary Molson on here (Moleywrx) If you can't afford to insure it properly, you should not be driving a high performance car, simple as that!

3) Any scooby with a turbo will hurt to insure; min insurance group is 16, most are 17-20. These types of boards generally have the best, enthusiast owned ones

4) Really bad stuff: Big end failure, gearbox failure,
Moderately bad stuff: blown turbo, shot suspension components, sliping clutch,
Minor stuff, consumables, oil etc... you'll need to run it on SUL.

5) Do you have at least 6K to spend on the car, can afford the insurance as the main driver? Have money to keep it in good nick, petrol consumables, servicing etc... If yes, sure, why not, if not, no!!!!

Ns04
Old 02 November 2006, 03:39 PM
Topbombingkid
Scooby Regular

ive just insured my uk turbo 2000 for £793 TPF&T for 10 months (still get no claims) with bell.co.uk 4 years no claims and im 23.

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2006, 04:30 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

I'm 23, but bought my Version 3 STI when I was 22.

Insurance didn't seem to be a problem for me, and even at 22 I was paying less than £1000. Standard car, insurance company knew it was an STI RA, Mother added to the policy but was honest and told them she'd be very unlikely to drive it. I have another car so that helped, and mileage was limited to 10,000 per year. Interestingly, the price of insurance didn't rise when quoting from a WRX to a WRX STI despite the performance increase.

It's not the buying and insuring these cars, so much as the running costs that make them expensive. A whopping 60 miles into ownership, my bottom end let go and the car needed a rebuild. £1780 for the work, and I removed and re-fitted the engine myself. The car was immaculate with low miles, and I paid good money for it - so this was not a case of buying a cheap car and paying the consequences later.

Not long after this a rear wheel bearing needed replacing at a cost of around £180, and a rear shock failed so I replaced the set with KYB AGX's at around £400.

Oil changes every several thousand miles usually stack up to around £55 a time, more for comprehensive services, tyres are expensive unless you can pick up a bargain from someone else on here (I've just fitted two nearly new Bridgestones from a member on here for £40 - bargan!), and they're heavy on fuel if you're lead-footed.

You'll undoubtedly get the modifying bug and want to make some changes....so far I've been pretty restrained and only upgraded handling components with some whiteline goodies and added a silicone turbo inlet (although this was out of necessity due to the original breaking). This is the reason I bought the STI model - I felt it offered everything I wanted from Impreza ownership without having to constantly add modifications.

If you can genuinely afford to run one, they're great cars to own. Uk cars are cheaper to run, insure and repair than STI variants, and as many on here have proven - can easily be tuned to STI power levels.

I love my car despite the problems it's caused me, and the added rarity of having a limited edition model makes ownership all the more enjoyable - but I don't half fancy a nice, sensible, diesel Audi sometimes .

Brian
Old 02 November 2006, 04:45 PM
WayneG555
Scooby Regular

Hey there mate

At the end of the day it's up to you if you want to spend big money or not!!

From what i've found out theres no cheap way of owening a Impreza, but then again if your thinking of buying one you proberly already know that!!!

Im 21 and i got my MY96 Subaru Impreza WRX STi '555' back in July, most 'normal' insurance company's wouldnt even touch me on it but after asking on here and scoobycity i found a few companies. I went through a broker called DNA who were very good and got my quote down to £2050( Fully comp with a £400 excess), thats with 1y NCB and 4y driving experience. Now most people said dont even pay that but for me i was quite happy to go for it, at the end of the day its down to what you want to spend!

Wayne
Old 02 November 2006, 05:32 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimjon

seriously tho, why not wait and gain driving experience, gives you something to look forward to.
I agree, i waited until i was 25 to get mine, and i manage to bag myself a newage and insurance was cheap. The other advantage was that in the meantime i had all sorts of other cars that were great fun,including...calibra, honda civic, honda accord, xr3i cabriolet, celica cabriolet.

When i jumped in my scooby the power difference was huge and i was glad i didnt buy it when i was 20 as it takes a bit of experience to tame a scooby. There are a lot of guys here who are young and have scoobies and will say that their experience is good enuff for a scooby, but there are a lot of woman who are good enuff for a car!!
Old 02 November 2006, 05:42 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

As many have said, It's not just buying it and then insuring it which in your case is going to cost a small fortune, but the running cost are out of this world!!!

I added up all of my petrol receipt a couple of years ago and for around 15K miles a year it cost nearly £3.5K in fuel, The big service's (Cambelt or the other big one, plugs and all fluids) are likely to set you back around the £500 each. And your talking big money if the gearbox lets go or you need a rebuild on the engine.

With regards to modding it Just have a look in any car mag and your see the prices for impreza stuff seem to be double of that for most other cars.

But all that said, If you can afford to run one then buy one, they are great cars
Old 02 November 2006, 05:43 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

i am 22 and have a new o6 wrx it does cost a lot to run the car day to day and insurance is not great £1,000 + (give bell a call best for me by far) but I love the car and never regret the car so if you think you can afford to run it mate go for it ……