could do with some advice

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2006, 04:09 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could do with some advice

Hi

Basically I have a an intermittant boost leak,sounds a bit like a dentist drill crossed with an air hose combined with a loss of 2or 3psi.
Seems to come on after pushing the car in lower gears at higher boost levels but as quickly as it happens it is gone again for a couple of days.
It appears to run rich when it happens which i guess would signify a leak.
Car is 99 uk turbo full decat and panel filter mapped to approx 265bhp/295 ftlbs by Andy F.
Peaks at 20psi and settles around the 17/18 psi mark with max power at about 4000rpm
The problem only started during the remap which was put down to a leak and shortly afterwards I replaced the turbo hose with samco kit (the turbo hose did look like the outer skin was worn) which seemed to do the trick until it returned again.
Then a loose pipe was found on the solenoid which seemed to sort it...guess what its now back again
Any pointers would be great for when it goes back in as you know what intermittant problems are like to diagnose

Cheers
Matt
Old 21 October 2006, 04:21 PM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by mattpat
Hi

Basically I have a an intermittant boost leak,sounds a bit like a dentist drill crossed with an air hose combined with a loss of 2or 3psi.
Seems to come on after pushing the car in lower gears at higher boost levels but as quickly as it happens it is gone again for a couple of days.
It appears to run rich when it happens which i guess would signify a leak.
Car is 99 uk turbo full decat and panel filter mapped to approx 265bhp/295 ftlbs by Andy F.
Peaks at 20psi and settles around the 17/18 psi mark with max power at about 4000rpm
The problem only started during the remap which was put down to a leak and shortly afterwards I replaced the turbo hose with samco kit (the turbo hose did look like the outer skin was worn) which seemed to do the trick until it returned again.
Then a loose pipe was found on the solenoid which seemed to sort it...guess what its now back again
Any pointers would be great for when it goes back in as you know what intermittant problems are like to diagnose

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt

Do you know anyone with the same car? if so thry the boost relay...i was told these can play up.. fit your friends, try that, if works im told a manual adjustable boost controller is a cheaper option.. good luck fella
Old 25 October 2006, 01:02 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxuk300
Hi Matt

Do you know anyone with the same car? if so thry the boost relay...i was told these can play up.. fit your friends, try that, if works im told a manual adjustable boost controller is a cheaper option.. good luck fella
Cheers mate
Changed the boost solenoid today...was ok for a while then car started playing up again so I guess that eliminates that.
Any other suggestions welcome
Problem is still intermittant high pitched air/drill noise combined with loss of peak boost and slow build up from about 5/6 psi
Lasts for a while then car will be fine the next day
Seems to happen initially when hitting full boost in low gears.
Maybe the actuator is goosed/wastegate problem??

cheers matt