Studded tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2000, 10:59 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hiya,
Does anyone use Studded tyres on there Scoob in winter? Generally in the icq/snowy months?
I used to fit 15 in wheels onto the scoob in Winter but when i upgraded my breaks i cannot go under 17 as the brake discs are too big.
A friend uses studded tyres on his Audi A3 in winter and he says they are really good. I have however never tried them and just wondered if anyone else has on a Scoob?
I've been trying to look into some other ways of getting grip from the low profiles and they are with chain links, but i think the studded tyres would be the way forward for constant driving this ski/snowboard season!
Does anyone have any idea of how much a set of studded tyres for 4x 17in wheels would cost?
Thankyou for the help on this matter
Ian
Old 02 November 2000, 11:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

You CANNOT run them on tarmac!! They will shred big time.
Old 02 November 2000, 11:41 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

You can run them on tarmac People here run them from November to March all the time..

Get a bit squirmy and noisy on the freeways but certainly don't shred.

Don't know that you'll get studdable tyres in 17" size though.. I have 15" Studded Hakkapelita for the Impreza that we rally.

They're great on loose and packed snow but not as good as the Bridgestone Blizzaks on packed snow / ice.. The Blizzacks btw are not studded.

Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 02 November 2000).]
Old 02 November 2000, 11:47 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Question

Can you use chains on a Scooby

Simon
Old 02 November 2000, 11:53 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rsquire thanks
My friend uses his on his Audi A3 alot and although they do make a noise he seems fairly pleased with them. I just wanted a Scooby opinion so thankyou. WIll be definately worth trying to find some so i'll phone around next week. Even if i only use them 2 weeks in the year they would still be worth it considering the snow we get around christmas time - alot of fun tho!
Thanks once again,
Ian

PS- Don't know about chains.. I've seen them advertised in Snow and Roack and thought it was worth asking about.
Old 03 November 2000, 06:26 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Hos another thought..

depending on what brakes you upgraded to you can go to a 15" rim..

I have the Subaru 298mm 4 pot brakes on my Impreza RS and you can fit the Raceline RL7 rim.. The same as the gravel rim used on the WRC cars. The 15" RL7 clear the 4 pot brakes without a problem, in fact it's the only 15" rim to my knowledge that does.

Cheers
Richard
Old 03 November 2000, 08:07 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Here in Germany people change their tyres for Winter to winter tyres(surprise), no studs but very different design and are not as highly speed rated. They all say it makes a big difference on Snow & Ice, not tried it yet but will next week. Possible due to the fact most cars here are big RWD(BMW,MB). Not sure you'd need studded tyres on a 4WD in the UK, even in Dundee !!! Remember yu can only go as fast as the slowest car in the traffic jam.

Cammy

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2000, 09:59 AM
Luis
Scooby Newbie

...used studded (Michelin Ivalo) tyres on Impreza for three seasons already. This wouldn't make too much sense in the city, but is abolute must on icy road IMHO. Unfortunately on dry tarmac studs make braking distance longer. Also, they are illegal in most European countries - I'm driving mostly in Nordic and Baltic region, but any cop can stop you when you go South of Lithuanian border...
But hey, thanks for reminding! BTW, it is illegal for us to drive with summer tyres during the winter season - I have to plan a tyre change asap.
Old 03 November 2000, 10:04 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think there is some legalities involved in using studded tires in the UK... Stuart H are you able to comment??

rgds, Alex
Old 03 November 2000, 12:15 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

The owners manual that we get here specifically states not to use chains on the Impreza 2.5 RS.. Which uses the same wheels as the STI ie 205 50 16 7J five spoke.

Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 03 November 2000).]
Old 03 November 2000, 12:30 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Richard

Thought i'd seen a post a few months back that said about not using chains in the manual.

Simon
Old 03 November 2000, 01:14 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Winter tyres that wil fit the 16" rim come from Vredestein and Nokian (cheaper) or Michelin Pilot Alpin (less cheap)

Also pure snow tyres from Nokian - their website includes a lst of UK distributors(www.nokian.com &
Old 03 November 2000, 06:30 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Rsquire
UK studded tyres and the regulations are not the same as USA. They are not road legal in the UK and if run on tarmac WILL shred treadblocks/spit the studs out. Just ask the real Dave Richards.

Any replacement tyres fitted in the UK have to have the same speed rating as those the vehicle was originally fitted with.

I have used snow tyres on a number of FWD cars in the UK in the past and on snow they make a BIG difference. Any winter tyre with open tread blocks works but these are a compromise, particularly those used in Europe as they are designed for high speed motorway use also (we spend five or six weeks every winter driving in Euro ski resorts so I know a bit about it).

Rally mud & snow tyres work really well if you can find them wide enough and in a low enough profile.

One of the reasons Subaru/Prodrive did not put 18" wheels on the P1 as originally intended is because they will not take chains - an EU requirement. Got round it with the P1 WR (sorry to mention that name) upgrade as not factory fitted parts.

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 03 November 2000).]