Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you check your tyre pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2000, 12:49 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having already had it established in previous threads that your tyre pressures change with the outside temperature, we know that from one day to the next 32/32 front and rear on day 1 won't necessarily be 32/32 on days 2,3,4,5,etc.

That being the case, I'm very **** and check my tyre pressures every morning before going to work or going on a long journey/blast/etc.

Does anyone else do this?

(Edit: before anyone calls me a muppet, the pressures to fluctuate quite alot depending on the weather. Just want to know if anyone else is as ****!)

[This message has been edited by Fosters (edited 03 November 2000).]
Old 03 November 2000, 12:59 AM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Fosters,

I noticed a product in Land Rover Owner magazine that might interest you? It is basically a box of tricks that sits on the dash and monitors tyre pressures on all four wheels via romote, wireless sensors. This enables you to check pressures on the move and detect overheating in track/fast road conditions and tells what each individual tyre is doing. Sounds pretty good, and it costs £199. A tyre pressure guage and checking every day is cheaper though!

I'll try and lay my hands on the mag and let you know who makes it etc.

Moss
Old 03 November 2000, 01:06 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

surely once a month is a bit slack?

Maybe it's my driving, but out on a blat I might get a 1/2 psi difference between the front wheels (not always the same difference from the same wheels either).

That's a lot of blasts in a month too!
Old 03 November 2000, 01:21 PM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

You've got to take into account outside temp. On a cold morning your gonna get a lower reading for obvious reasons. I would'nt worry about 1/2 or even 2psi. Having said that, if your into checking every day then you could theoretically adjust to suit conditions, ie. lower pressure in the wet etc. Incedentally, I was looking for an accurate pressure guage recently (race motorbikes) and I was told that you have to spend upwards of 50 nicker to get a guage that accurate to 1/2psi. I dont have any probs with my £9.99 halfords special........although I do fall off a lot....hmmmmmmmm
Old 03 November 2000, 02:00 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Wink

Halfords digital thingamybob, checked every Saturday morning without fail or prior to a long journey.

Yex - with anaorak
Old 03 November 2000, 02:21 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Every Saturday at some point - and again before any long journeys.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2000, 02:50 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Every couple of weeks.
Not convinced with the accuracy of my gauge - it's one of those old fashioned things with the metal rod that pops up out of the gauge. How much is decent race-type gauge? Any recommendations?
Old 03 November 2000, 03:05 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Weekly or before a long blast.

One magazine had a tyre pressure gauge group test and the Halfords digital unit came out very well against the more expensive units.

Cheers
Lee
Old 03 November 2000, 03:08 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Oil and water weekly (Cosworth pistons drink oil)

Tires pressures....monthly(ish)

Old 03 November 2000, 03:09 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I've had the SmartTire remote tyre pressure monitoring system fitted to my MY98 for about eight months, having been asked to test it by an agent on a 'high performance' car. I think this is what Moss is referring to.

I have noticed that tyre pressures can drop by 5Psi when the weather gets cold. This is enough to increase tyre wear and fuel consumption as well as reducing grip, traction and stability.

A performance car (or any car) is entirely reliant on it's tyres to keep it the right way up and on the black stuff.

Even if you are prepared to monitor your tyre pressure regularly, there isn't any guarentee that you won't pick up a puncture en-route.

Using continuous tyre pressure monitoring gives you the following benefits:

a) Detect punctures before the tyre explodes causing an accident.
b) Reduce the cost of punctures by letting you know about them before the tyre is made unrepairable by overheating.
c) allow you to identify the best tyre pressures for your regime of load and speed.
d) You only need to inflate your tyres when necessary, rather than checking once a week.
e) Help to find the optimal tyre pressure on track days by monitoring tyre pressures and temps as you drive.

I (ahem) have three sets for sale - please see
Old 03 November 2000, 03:41 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Yep... that's the one!
Old 03 November 2000, 06:28 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Fosters,

If you are concerned about tyre pressures then purchase a decent thermometer and record the pressure and outside temperature at varying times throughout the year. Then plot a graph of tyre pressure vs temperature. You should then be able to predict your tyre pressures just by checking the temperature. If you want to go a stage further then also take the pressure when you arrive at work with warm tyres and plot that figure against temperature. The difference in the slope of the 2 lines will represent the manner in which a tyre warms up when the weather is warm or cold.

By the time you have done all this you should have a good idea of what pressures you prefer with tempearature or you could just wish you hadn't bothered

I know it seems to be going a bit far but a simple graph of pressure versus ambient temp is a good idea and one which I will be generating for my Eagle F1s.

Brendan

[This message has been edited by BHORT (edited 03 November 2000).]