Sponsored by:

just been stopped for a "spot check"

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2006, 09:03 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just been stopped for a "spot check"

Well ladies and gents, I have had the privilege of a spot check tonight and would like to ask for some help should this happen in the future.
Ive read on here about recent "raids" and checks ref ownership as crims nick our beloved cars for a bit of armed robbery, so I didnt mind when I was stopped while meandering through town.
I pulled over safely after about 500yds, turned off the engine and got out of the car. I said "good evening officer, can I help you ?", he said "is this yours ?", slightly bemused with not even a hello or whatever I said "it certainly is. Can I ask why you've stopped me ?", he replied "coz I wear the uniform not you, and the law says that I can. I said can you prove its yours ?"
Now I'm a big supporter of the law, but I felt a bit flat at that point, I'm not a 17yr old with a Corsa/Saxo etc blasting around like a ferkin nutcase, I'm a 38 yr old office manager (wearing bloody golf gear, no baseball cap in sight) with a clean and tidy saloon car thats in very good order.
After about 10 mins of questioning and radio-ing (presumably to check my story / details) he asked me if there was anything else I'd left out and I'd like to tell him now.
He seemed to have chilled a bit so I grinned and said I had some new clubs in the boot if he'd like to have a look.
Honestly, if he had been armed I think he'd have put one right between my eyes at that point.
He lectured me soundly about not taking things seriously and said he'd taken note of my details and he'd be "looking out for me".
Bloody hell, I havent felt like that since last time my mam grounded me and thats about 30 yrs ago. I crept back in the car like a naughty schoolboy.
I'd answered his questions politely and accurately, I even thanked him for his trouble to check on ownership etc, I cant think of a single thing that would have troubled him.
Am I missing something or do you think I have just been unlucky ?
Old 16 October 2006, 09:09 PM
dux_2002
Scooby Regular

nope that all sounds about right, its the authority you see. it gets to thier head ive only had 1 experience of a nice copper. every other one has gone exactly like the above. and ive never been anything except polite. except usually im told not to leave the car, and if i am its straight into the back of thiers while they verify identity/owbership.

im all for theese checks but theres no need to be the way they are, what happend to innocent until proven guilty?
Old 16 October 2006, 09:10 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I don't think he got his leg over that morning mate. Sadly such behaviour is all too common amongst these metre maids.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:11 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

call in at is police station they all have a boss politeness costs nothing
Old 16 October 2006, 09:13 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

There's plenty of them about like that m8....maybe bullied as a kid....inferiority complex......lack of sex life......small todger.....god complex in a uniform....take your pick really!!!

On the plus side I do know some really tidy ones too

Dave
Old 16 October 2006, 09:14 PM
Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Police are the same as every profession, you get some nice ones and some nasty ones. Sounds like you got a nasty one. I've had coppers pull me over and be a nice as pie - have nice chat and I go, other times they are as awkward as they can be. I see your from Bishop Auckland. I'm 20 mins from there, where exactly did this happen? (so I can avoid his patch!)
Old 16 October 2006, 09:14 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spot on about the the uniform,they seem to think they are super hero's lol
as soon as the unifrom comes on so do all there special powers....erm...........like taking the ****.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:20 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

he is proberly gay and found out his bum boy was sleeping with a woman, hence why he thought he would take it out on a law abideing citizen
Old 16 October 2006, 09:20 PM
bazwrx300
Scooby Regular

guys
get over the whole Police man thing. thay are doing a job and can stop any vehicle under the road traffic order. You would all be complaining if no cars were ever stopped and some scumbag had just stolen your motor!
thay have a crap job most of the time dealing with the scum of society so they are entitled to take the **** out of a smart **** driver.
just an idea but try being nice to them and I am sure you will pass their attitude test
Old 16 October 2006, 09:21 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by bazwrx300
guys
get over the whole Police man thing. thay are doing a job and can stop any vehicle under the road traffic order. You would all be complaining if no cars were ever stopped and some scumbag had just stolen your motor!
thay have a crap job most of the time dealing with the scum of society so they are entitled to take the **** out of a smart **** driver.
just an idea but try being nice to them and I am sure you will pass their attitude test
Thats all well and good,but good manners and politeness cost nothing
Old 16 October 2006, 09:24 PM
dux_2002
Scooby Regular

guys

i amALWAYS nice to them. its almost never returned. at the end of the day they are dealing with the public and should do so in a respectfull, kind and curtious mannor until they can prove that said person is breaking the law.

id get my *** kicked at work for speaking to anyone in a less than kind mannor
Old 16 October 2006, 09:26 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

journeyman, it was right at the top of the bypass from bish over to crook, I know its a bit of a race track, so maybe it was always going to happen. After it happened I drove up to the top of the hill that goes over to willington, and watched for another half hour or so. They pulled just about every neon'd boom box chav mobeel that approached them - thats probably every lad from the bus station car park loiterers club.
If they think I'm part of that crowd then I dont know who's got the biggest problem, them or me.
And for the record I still support them in what they try to do, but it did **** me off that I was made to feel like such a **** considering I'd committed no crime....apart from maybe having a nice car that is.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:27 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

guys
Valid post but courtesy and manners works both ways.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:28 PM
bazwrx300
Scooby Regular

your right, good manners cost nothing but in my experience when you start questioning why Police are doing things it gets their back up. How would you feel if somebody walked into your work and questioned every move you made.You, as i would probaly tell them to go and ****!!
Old 16 October 2006, 09:31 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

guys

baz. no debate from me at all mate. you are totally right they are only doing a job (a bloody difficult one I might add) and they deserve some respect. I didnt act up, I didnt give any cheek, I said please and thanks, I was honest and pleasant and for once my brain always engaged before my mouth. I will be exactly the same next time, no matter what circumstance. I only hope I fair better and that someone tonight doesnt take exception to what I can only describe as a bad attitude.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kgt
Well ladies and gents, I have had the privilege of a spot check tonight and would like to ask for some help should this happen in the future.
Ive read on here about recent "raids" and checks ref ownership as crims nick our beloved cars for a bit of armed robbery, so I didnt mind when I was stopped while meandering through town.
I pulled over safely after about 500yds, turned off the engine and got out of the car. I said "good evening officer, can I help you ?", he said "is this yours ?", slightly bemused with not even a hello or whatever I said "it certainly is. Can I ask why you've stopped me ?", he replied "coz I wear the uniform not you, and the law says that I can. I said can you prove its yours ?"
Now I'm a big supporter of the law, but I felt a bit flat at that point, I'm not a 17yr old with a Corsa/Saxo etc blasting around like a ferkin nutcase, I'm a 38 yr old office manager (wearing bloody golf gear, no baseball cap in sight) with a clean and tidy saloon car thats in very good order.
After about 10 mins of questioning and radio-ing (presumably to check my story / details) he asked me if there was anything else I'd left out and I'd like to tell him now.
He seemed to have chilled a bit so I grinned and said I had some new clubs in the boot if he'd like to have a look.
Honestly, if he had been armed I think he'd have put one right between my eyes at that point.
He lectured me soundly about not taking things seriously and said he'd taken note of my details and he'd be "looking out for me".
Bloody hell, I havent felt like that since last time my mam grounded me and thats about 30 yrs ago. I crept back in the car like a naughty schoolboy.
I'd answered his questions politely and accurately, I even thanked him for his trouble to check on ownership etc, I cant think of a single thing that would have troubled him.
Am I missing something or do you think I have just been unlucky ?
If youre unhappy then complain. Too many Police officers now seem to regard themselves more as a 'Judge Dredd' character; rather than what they actually are. It wont do any harm to remind him that he isnt the law; he is a public servant and as such he is required to act in a professional and courteous manner.

Simon
Old 16 October 2006, 09:34 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I think you've just been pulled by a grumpy copper, or a bad one. I've been pulled a few times around Newton Aycliffe / Darlington area (the next town from Bishop Auckland for those that don't know) and they've always been polite and fair to me. Got pulled one night in my then 106GTI, with the copper stating he'd been doing 130mph just trying to catch me up. Opps.

Decent blokes, asked about the car, did a check to see if it was mine, the usual. They then told me just to take it easy and slow down a bit.It was after midnight, so I think this helped. But every other time I've been pulled, the cops have been OK and fair. especially the traffic cop along the A66 near Teesside Park that gave me a 6 month written warning instead of 3 points and a fine.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:36 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

...jeez I could tell some amusing stories about my dealings with the Police Force and particularly when I rode motor cycles (albeit it 20 yrs ago now)..but one time I was wrestled to the ground and locked in a cell for the henious crime of riding a bicycle on the pavement

You should have seen their faces when my Dad(who was their Chief Inspector)turned up

consequently I have no time for the Police whatsoever and as I've said before would probably call Interflora before I dialled 999
Old 16 October 2006, 09:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'Hello; why have you stopped me?' is a perfectly legitimate question and as such, it must be answered courteously and honestly. 'Because I wear the uniform and I can' is neither and the Police officer is ignorant and unprofessional.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
...jeez I could tell some amusing stories about my dealings with the Police Force and particularly when I rode motor cycles (albeit it 20 yrs ago now)..but one time I was wrestled to the ground and locked in a cell for the henious crime of riding a bicycle on the pavement

You should have seen their faces when my Dad(who was their Chief Inspector)turned up

consequently I have no time for the Police whatsoever and as I've said before would probably call Interflora before I dialled 999

I recall an incident not so long back when a lad had a dog set on him by the Police while they stood and watched laughing. These incidents get the public's backs up and put a slur on all officers much like the antics of certain 'muslims' tarring all.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:46 PM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

Police officers have a duty to answer the questio "why have you pulled me" honestly and with respect.

If as you stated was "because i can" did you get his number if so report him for unprofessional conduct. Get him pulled by his station commander. I have done this before when i was driving late at night up the M6 to Carlisle.

Arrogant copper said is this your, my reply was No, pause pause, its my wifes car. We are talking about a renault Clio circa 6 months old, wnt through loads of bad attitude while my wife and kids are sat in the car (both kids under 2 years old) me being interogated and being checked if i had been drink driving. all took 20 minutes or so.

I later stated to him can you please put in your notes that i have my sife and 2 your children in the car (6 months and 18 month).

I complained to the station for unreasonable treatment and got a letter of apology from tge station commander and from the officer himself.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:49 PM
bazwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kgt
baz. no debate from me at all mate. you are totally right they are only doing a job (a bloody difficult one I might add) and they deserve some respect. I didnt act up, I didnt give any cheek, I said please and thanks, I was honest and pleasant and for once my brain always engaged before my mouth. I will be exactly the same next time, no matter what circumstance. I only hope I fair better and that someone tonight doesnt take exception to what I can only describe as a bad attitude.
KGT
you must have got a **** of a policeman but it upsets me when every one tars the Police with the same brush. You are going to meet unpleasant people if every aspect of live, a girl in tesco was rude to me but i dont slate every person that works in a supermarket because of it. I think police are easy targets because the majority of dealings that the public have are in a negative situation, ie speeding or another offence. I know quite a few Police who own Scoobys and they are all good lads. The traffic Police where i live even drive a new Prodrived STI. Anyway i hope you have a postive experience in the future with the Police. good luck Baz
Old 16 October 2006, 09:54 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

..but one time I was wrestled to the ground and locked in a cell for the henious crime of riding a bicycle on the pavement

ooh,Im all fired up now

..one copper at that time pressed his nose right up against mine and blurted''I Know you.you've got form you 'ave''

utter ***** the lot of 'em
Old 16 October 2006, 09:59 PM
bazwrx300
Scooby Regular

ooh,Im all fired up now

..one copper at that time pressed his nose right up against mine and blurted''I Know you.you've got form you 'ave''

you must have though you were special because your father was a Chief inspector. I am sure he was so Proud
if all police are ***** you mustnt think to much of your father
Old 16 October 2006, 10:00 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Didnt get his number steve as I was so embarassed / pissed off / just dying to get away from there, but I wouldnt be surprised if he's still up there.
Do you think I should go back up and ask him ???? (only joking)

As I'm not stopped regularly I was probably a bit gobsmacked. Last time was in the market square in Bish when a young WPC stopped me for having my fog lights on. I'd just come over from the coast where it was a proper pea-souper and had genuinly forgotten to turn them off. I also didnt know it was an offence until she kindly told me. She was extremely polite and and very pleasant as I remember. I didnt get her uniform number but nearly asked her for a phone number before I came round from my in head dream sequance. She was absolutely drop dead gorgeous and I'd been imagining getting a right good going over from her. Despite that momentary lapse, I was still polite and respectful, just as I was tonight.
Old 16 October 2006, 10:04 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

you must have though you were special because your father was a Chief inspector. I am sure he was so Proud
if all police are ***** you mustnt think to much of your father
He did his 33 years to get his max pension and then retired very disillusioned with the modern crop of officers i can tell you.

He could tell a young Officers intake year by their attitude and yes I was very proud of him!
Old 16 October 2006, 10:20 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

I've had numerous dealing with the police and have found most to be courteous if not almost apologetic a lot of the time however ther have been exceptions to the rule.

I felt at one stage that things had got out of hand and complained which in actual fact made things worse until I was pulled twice for no good reason within a mile and a half with my boss (a director for a major construction firm) in the car. the company lawyers soted out the misunderstanding.

From this point onwards I always request a producer to ensure I have the officers details and that the incident is properly recorded. I am happy to produce proof of my ID at the roadside but no more than that.

I understand that the police have a job to do but it is not an excuse to bully.
Old 16 October 2006, 10:20 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Except your dad

Way to stereotype !
Old 16 October 2006, 10:32 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
'Hello; why have you stopped me?' is a perfectly legitimate question and as such, it must be answered courteously and honestly. 'Because I wear the uniform and I can' is neither and the Police officer is ignorant and unprofessional.
Damn right. I normally have no beef with the Police, and after all they are effectively employed by the public (and funded by us too). You must have got a grumpy get who was fed up pulling over idiots and so treated you like one too.

I've been pulled over twice for a friendly chat about going a wee bit over the speed limit (70 on the speedo in a 60 zone with traffic car right behind me) and accelerating quickly from the lights, and both times they were nice as ninepence. I did of course keep things respectful and polite myself.

Mind you, that was years ago when you needed £15K minimum to acquire a Scooby unless you stole it, and they were not yet in the hands of the Max Power brigade, so maybe the car itself was less of a target back then (i.e. you needed to be doing something stupid like I was to get pulled).
Old 16 October 2006, 10:43 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I had dealiings with Strathclyde polis during the Tour of Mull rally at the weekend - they parked their mobile police station about 20 yards from where we were marshalling and supplied us with coffee and choccie biccies.....

Quick Reply: just been stopped for a "spot check"