Wanting a Scoob at 18

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 01:52 PM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting a Scoob at 18

Hi all,

At the minute I'm working on getting rid of my current car then driving a heap around whilst I save up for a scooby. But I've got a few questions/problems

Questions.

I've taken a 1999 Turbo 2000 for a test drive was only around the block unfortunately, but I loved every second. But I liked the model the shape, had done 62000 miles was awsome, my question is - is this the model I should be looking at? I'm probably going to be buying around marchish next year. If not which model?

Were there any major problems on said particular model that I should look out for?

Problems.

My Main problem is my age, now I'm obssesed with scoobys so will be willing to pay like 3k on insurance (they are quotes im getting now) - But because of my age I think I'm going to have a problem going to a second hand car dealer and wanting a PROPER test drive, like a couple of hours. Any ideas on what to do? As the trip round the block in the 2000 gave me merely an idea of what it could be like.

If I think of any more I'll add them, but if anyone can help I'd be most grateful And remember I'm not going to be buying until next year (around march hopefully)

Many Thanks all
Old 15 October 2006, 01:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok ive stopped laughing.
If you think the insurance is the only problem look at fuel and servicing... oh and your experience, you have none, these are high performance cars, basically you will kill yourself in one.
Save up, buy a normal car or a warm hatch, keep that for a few years until you get more driving experience then consider buying an Impreza, if you are really desperate then get a sport, but that will just leave a hole in your pocket as they cost a lot to service also.
18=too young and inexperienced

Tony
Old 15 October 2006, 02:03 PM
deanwoodward
Scooby Regular

i had a sport for a couple of years while my insurance went down
Old 15 October 2006, 02:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Que the sheep all chastising Tony and pointing out that they bought an Impreza Turbo at 17 and didnt die.....
Old 15 October 2006, 02:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by GC8
Que the sheep all chastising Tony and pointing out that they bought an Impreza Turbo at 17 and didnt die.....
There was that 21 year old who killed his missus, wasnt he in an impreza?
But yes, just waiting for that crowd to come in

Tony
Old 15 October 2006, 02:08 PM
Phate
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GC8

eh?
Old 15 October 2006, 02:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Phate
eh?
Basically the car flatters the driver, lots of younger drivers think they are good, where in most cases its the car that gets them out of trouble not their skills.
The older you get (driving wise) the more experience you get (or should get) and with this you are able to "see" whats going on around you on the roads, ie car 100m ahead closing in on truck and not indicating, chances are hes coming out without looking.

Anyway, off subject go see if that trevor macdonald on thurs night is repeated, about boy racers (oh im going to get some stick for that comment )

Tony

PS, warm hatchback or even a standard car, learn to understand the roads and the other people on it, fast car does not mean able to get out of trouble.
Old 15 October 2006, 02:30 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Agree with tony 100%!
The temptation to show off too your mates will be to strong to resist at that age. So you'll endanger their lives aswell as yours. If I bought my scooby at 18 (couldn't get insurance anyway and can't quite see how you can to be honest), I would have crashed, end of story. I have been racing karts since I was 13, got my car racing licence at 19 (racing formula fords) and I was only JUST ready when I got my sti 4 at 21. Nearly 24 now and touch wood, havn't had any accidents.

Bottom line m8, wait and get some experience. Hot hatches such as the 106gti are still quick and arguabley more fun to drive than a scoob!

Value your life more than your desire to own a car.
Old 15 October 2006, 02:34 PM
dux_2002
Scooby Regular

im 20 and ive just bought my 1st scooby turbo yesterday. they are nice safe cars BUT i wouldnt reccommend one in the first few years of driving. ive ridden bikes since a young age (traded my zx6r in against the scooby) so ive got a good idea of how to read the road. i also come from a background of performance cars (in the last year ive owned 4 200sx's all over 250bhp and a mitsi galant vr-4 which was 350bhp) and i can happily say i wouldnt be ready for a scooby if it wasnt for all of that. i would suggest if you wanted a scooby to get the sport, i would never suggest getting a scooby at 18, chanses are something will happen, you may be lucky and it might not, but would you be able to live with yourself if the worst happened and you ended up killing your passenger (best friend, parent, g/f)? or even some random person on the side of the road? think hard about it mate, but IMHO you wont have the right road experience
Old 15 October 2006, 02:39 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
ok ive stopped laughing.
If you think the insurance is the only problem look at fuel and servicing... oh and your experience, you have none, these are high performance cars, basically you will kill yourself in one.
Save up, buy a normal car or a warm hatch, keep that for a few years until you get more driving experience then consider buying an Impreza, if you are really desperate then get a sport, but that will just leave a hole in your pocket as they cost a lot to service also.
18=too young and inexperienced

Tony
Agree with Tony 100%

Mate don't do it, at your age, spend the 1000s you'll have to put into a scooby on booze and birds! Yes, we have fast cars, but we're all sad gits who -as a result of the scooby obsession- who have no money for GFs/wives/food/clothes etc..

At the very best, you'll break yourself financially, at the very worst, we'll see a thread on here in your memory after you ran out of talent on a bend!

PS I hope you weren't driving the car on boost from cold!!!

Get yourself a run about, some experience, let some of the testosterone out of your system and come back when you're in your twenties.

Blimey I sound like an old git!!

Ns04
Old 15 October 2006, 02:43 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

Blimey I sound like an old git!!

Ns04
i have to agree
Old 15 October 2006, 02:50 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by LUCKO
i have to agree
Hey, be nice to me, I turned 30 Yesterday!!

Besides, I reckon telling the kid to spend his money on getting laid and drunk is sound advice at this age.

A scooby will most likely get him offers, but he won't be able to afford the condoms to do the deed, nor the petrol to driver her home afterwards, or at least drop her off at Mc Ds (if she's an essex lass )

Ns04
Old 15 October 2006, 03:19 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Echo what has been said already. Gain some driving experience first. I`ve heard it all before, "when I pass mi test, guna get an impreza cos they`re wickedly fast and I pick loadsa totty up with it"
WRONG, WRONG. I can see you have a passion for them, but try and take our advice, it`s not worth it.
Yes if you are about to change your car, go for something decent by all means, I know I would at your age. Build up your no claims etc over the coming years. God I sound old
Then buy one!!!! I was over 30 before I got mine.
We are only trying to help you from becoming another statistic.

Anthony
Old 15 October 2006, 04:26 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

tbh mate i wouldnt get a scooby at your age in nearly 23 and have had my sti scooby for around 10 months i dont think i would of been ready before now and at your age you will find it so easy to take the bait of all the little **** that have somthing to prove againest scoobys think about maye be getin somthing else !!
Old 15 October 2006, 04:30 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

If you can afford the car and drive it with some respect and maturity you can enjoy scoob ownership at age 18 . I got my STI aged 20 and have loved every minute owning it, just remember its a weapon in the worng hands and other road users safety is in your hands
Old 15 October 2006, 04:31 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

bit patronising to say he will kill himself. however its definatly not worth paying 3k on insurance. i got a leggy to start off with. lets u see what 4x4 will do and what it certainly cant. sleeper car as well, will not attract too much attention.
Old 15 October 2006, 05:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to say that although Tony's first post did sound a tad patronising, I do basically aggree with the content, as I do with NS04's At 18 (probably 19 when he gets it) the chances are it will get covered in stickers, shoot soppy flames out the back and be heard at least half a mile away! (If all that stuff was available when I was 18, got a feeling I would have!)
Maybe us "older" ones are trying to turn off the young un's to preserve a rapidly declining credibility in the eyes of many over Scoob ownership?
JohnD
Old 15 October 2006, 05:25 PM
punto_gt
Scooby Regular

i had a punto gt 4 my first car 2 years back. then had my 1995 wrx about a month and a half ago im 21 with 2 years no claims. i think the subaru is much easier 2 drive.

ive got a good job with good pay if you are the same and can afford the running costs/maintenance i would say go for it my friend. people can kill themselves in any car. treat the scooby with some respect and it will do the same to you.
Old 15 October 2006, 05:38 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to have to say this but with the classics dropping in price it means these cars are becoming within reach of the 17-20 age bracket this means when they crash them due to inexperience scoobs are gonna get a bad name
Old 15 October 2006, 05:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JohnD
Maybe us "older" ones are trying to turn off the young un's to preserve a rapidly declining credibility in the eyes of many over Scoob ownership?
JohnD
What makes you say that old chap? Now pass the pipe and slippers!!

I don't think its patronising to say that the vast majority of youngsters would have neither the roadcraft nor temprement to drive a scooby safely and responsibly. Passing the test is the beginning of a lifelong learning experience on the road, you can't expect to be brilliant immediately. The core problem is, most youngsters, especially us lads, think we are invincible that we may in point of fact be the illigitiamte son of Damon Hill!

To be honest, the above is bad enough when they're in a car that takes 13 seconds to get to 60. It's just common sense not to put them in a car than can do the same in 5 seconds!! Learn about good observation, road positioning, defensive driving and the importance of thinking ahead in a car that gives you more time to plan and react, learn about grip, weight transfer, and correcting over/understee in a car that might begin to let go at 35mph rather than throw you off the road at 70mph!

It doesn't work for everyone; some people never learn and there are some adults I know that really shouldn't have a scooby, but like I said before, this category of people will be much better represented at 18 than at 28.

Ns04
Old 15 October 2006, 05:43 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by rob84
Sorry to have to say this but with the classics dropping in price it means these cars are becoming within reach of the 17-20 age bracket this means when they crash them due to inexperience scoobs are gonna get a bad name
Well kind of, but what will happen is that insurance companies will just refuse to cover anyone under 25. Many already do. Most who cover people younger than this will insist on no convictions and several years NCB first.

Rightly so in my opinion.

Ns04
Old 15 October 2006, 05:48 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Hey, be nice to me, I turned 30 Yesterday!!

Besides, I reckon telling the kid to spend his money on getting laid and drunk is sound advice at this age.

A scooby will most likely get him offers, but he won't be able to afford the condoms to do the deed, nor the petrol to driver her home afterwards, or at least drop her off at Mc Ds (if she's an essex lass )

Ns04
advise him to get an h plate granada, you can have plenty of fun in the back of one of those
p.s happy birfday
Old 15 October 2006, 06:00 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes you say that old chap? Now pass the pipe and slippers!!

Ns04
Blimey - I don't smoke or wear slippers and my sons older than you! and 13 secs to 60 - back in my youth that was seriously quick (nah - forget the "seriously" - just quick)
JohnD
Old 15 October 2006, 06:01 PM
YORKSMALE82
Scooby Regular

i agree with the idea that u should wait a few years because experience is a valuable tool when u got these cars , i got my uk300 early this year aged 24 and i have said to my g/f im glad i didnt get one any earlier because i know even though im a very steady driver who has no interest in showing off at stupid speeds and havent had all the time i been driving really i was too busy with birds/drugs/and booze (not in the car of course lol) even id have been tempted to give it a blast at 18 when theres mates in ur ear saying "go on then lets see what it does" i even get it now and most people the first thing they say is how fast u had it etc etc .

my idea is same as most is get urself a better car than ur last and progress to a scooby in ur 20s i went from a 1.2 nova-1.2 clio-1.8 vvti 140 celica - impreza .

but at the end of the day this idea to get a scooby will be in ur head all day and ur dream for now and u may be a steady respectfull driver but at 18 u really have little experience but all the best anyway with whatever u do , just take everyones advise it all rings true .
Old 15 October 2006, 06:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
If you can afford the car and drive it with some respect and maturity you can enjoy scoob ownership at age 18 . I got my STI aged 20 and have loved every minute owning it, just remember its a weapon in the worng hands and other road users safety is in your hands
ditto what andy said on this one. admittedly at 18 you will be under pressure to show off but if you have a wise head and realise what your buying into regarding general running costs+ insurance then its your decision. im 22 now but i passed my driving test 8 months ago when i was 21 (yeah i know sad...) and had a scooby sport for two months then got a wrx. now having only two months driving experience and then owning a 240-260 missile like a wrx is pretty much asking for trouble, but i learned to grow wise soon when i relaised what that car was capable of.

just got rid yesterday (due to fucked engine) as i couldnt afford to fix her and downgraded to a pug 106 1.5 diesel, and im so disappionted now. so remembering going to subaru level then dropping down again to a hot hatch, is a big drop, incase subaru ownership doesnt work out for you.

good luck anyways and 3k for insurance... id check all the small print first at 18... seems TGTBT

andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 15 October 2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 06:36 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Willing to pay £3k insurance?!! Its a Subaru FFS not a Ferrari! Buy a decent run-about instead, and in a few years if you still want to some respect off the local hoodies and cant afford a decent sports saloon by then, THEN buy a Impreza turbo!
Old 15 October 2006, 06:41 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
Totally agree with this.
I got my Scoob at 20 and have had no near misses so far after 2 years, but I drive with respect and am fully aware of my limits
Old 15 October 2006, 06:46 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Buy a Classic Sport model. Will save you a bit, still be faster than your mate's cars and still look just as good. Quite a few nice ones on here, have a search.
£3k's just silly money to be paying for insurance, you'd be better off putting that down for renting a flat, somewhere to take the ladies back to
Old 15 October 2006, 06:48 PM
5cby
Scooby Regular

when did u pass ur driving test is the first question
Old 15 October 2006, 07:15 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5cby
when did u pass ur driving test is the first question
It's not really the first question though is it to be honest, I mean if he's only 18 it can't be anymore than a year ago. Plus even if he's been insured on his own car for 12 months it won't make that much difference on a Scooby at that age surely??

Quick Reply: Wanting a Scoob at 18