Sponsored by:

cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2006, 11:07 PM
66sean
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cabin noise

Just bought an 03 wrx sl 2 weeks ago , wanted one for years and finally took the plunge. Had the air bag light come on so took it to a subaru dealer who is changing a faulty side air bag under waranty, the warranty runs out in november so fell lucky there. Problem I have is road noise ! It still has the standard exhaust on so is quiet however I have loads of what sounds like a bearing or diff or just tyre noise Im not sure which. It had a new set of tyres on when I bought it they look like a cheap unbranded tyre. Ive had the wheels balanced and 4 wheel alignment done but no better ?? any ideas.

Sean.
Old 05 October 2006, 09:04 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

If the noise is from the tyres it will tend to vary a lot with the road surface. Some roads have that nice quiet tarmac, while some have the chippings-type that tends to make a lot more noise. If the noise varies suddenly as you go from different types of surface then it is the tyres.

If it is diffs or bearings then it will stay the same with road surface, but probably vary with load and speed. What actual type and size of tyres have you got ?
Old 05 October 2006, 10:26 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Does this noise occur when you come off the gas and let the engine brake the car by any chance..? (sounds like when, in most cars, you come off the gas whilst reversing a bit too quickly).

If so it's just transmission whine, completely normal and nothing to worry about.
Old 05 October 2006, 11:27 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

When i changed to 18"s and Toyo T1-S the tramlining went completely and it was much quieter in the car. It's amazing how much quieter, so it could be road noise off your tyres.

Burn them out and buy a decent set
Old 05 October 2006, 11:57 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
When i changed to 18"s and Toyo T1-S the tramlining went completely and it was much quieter in the car. It's amazing how much quieter, so it could be road noise off your tyres.

Burn them out and buy a decent set
Same here, 17" Bridge REO50's were quite noisy, but 18"s with Mich PS2's are far more comfortable and quiet. Not sure you need to go bigger just get better tyres I went for 18's as recommended for the PPP.
Old 05 October 2006, 01:22 PM
66sean
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replys Im convinced its the cheap tyres, the noise does vary depending on road surface, when you set off from a standstill the noise appears when you get to 30mph also I can feel a vibration from the back about 80mph this vibration reduced when I had the wheels balanced. Think I will have to put up with it for now.

cheers
Sean
Old 05 October 2006, 01:36 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest what car did you come from before?

I had a fairly new V6 mondeo before the scooby and after a few days of scooby ownership I was convinced I had a wheel bearing problem and a very whiney diff. Mine also had brand new tyres on when I collected it but std bridgestones.

I went around to a mates house with an identical car and did a swop for 1/2 hour just to put my mind to rest, his made exactly the same noises, so I 've just got use to it and don't even notice them now

I'm now 15months and 15k miles further on with no problems at all, so it may just be your point of reference was quieter
Old 05 October 2006, 03:47 PM
66sean
Scooby Newbie

I traded a 51 plate 2.2 sri astra with 43k miles on. The other thing is with just getting the subaru you tend to listern for every little noise thinking the worst. other than the road noise I am really pleased with the car got to get a pipe on it though to hear the rumble !! I have a vw camper with a 2.2 legacy engine fitted it sounds awesome and goes well with good mpg. just love the flat 4s.