Sponsored by:

new windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 08:46 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new windscreen

Just had a new windscreen fitted earlier today, all went well.

3 hours after having it fitted, i could hear the windscreen vibrating and sqeaking a little, I phoned autoglass and the guy told me that the glue will take 7 days to set and that will stop the noise.

Am i being fed ****? or is this right?
Old 31 March 2004, 08:50 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

You are being fed ****, modern windscreen glue sets in about 1/2 hour.
Old 26 January 2005, 10:34 AM
dvb101
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
3 hours after having it fitted, i could hear the windscreen vibrating and sqeaking a little, I phoned autoglass and the guy told me that the glue will take 7 days to set and that will stop the noise.

Did the squeaking stop after a few days? I've just had AutoWindscreens fit a new piece of glass on my MY05 WRX, and it's having the same problems. I also made the mistake of not asking for a proper Subaru windscreen, but that's my own fault!

Dan..
Old 26 January 2005, 11:16 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

When I pick up my STi it will have a new window fitted by SGT. I will let you know if that squeaks.

Sounds like you are being fed a line to me. Tell them you are not happy and want it checked.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:47 AM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Had a windscreen fitted a week ago by RAC Autowidscreens. Great job, no squeeks or wind noise. The guy told me it took about an hour for the glue to set.
Only paid the £50 excess but asked him how much it would be if I had to pay for the original Subaru part------£570 plus VAT!!!!!!!!
Old 26 January 2005, 11:49 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silverscoobydan
Had a windscreen fitted a week ago by RAC Autowidscreens. Great job, no squeeks or wind noise. The guy told me it took about an hour for the glue to set.
Only paid the £50 excess but asked him how much it would be if I had to pay for the original Subaru part------£570 plus VAT!!!!!!!!
That sounds a little steep to me?
Old 26 January 2005, 11:52 AM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Mr Pants

Have you paid the dealer price for the windscreen? or was it an insurance job?
Old 26 January 2005, 12:02 PM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Well I have just brought the car and hopefully am picking it up on Saturday, fingers crossed.

There is quite a few things being done on the car, dents, wheel refurbs etc. And a replacement windscreen.

The salesman I spoke to said he was spending around £500 - £700 to get the car up to spec, I think he said that much. So working on that price stated above I am not sure how they could have managed to get everything else done.

I hope they do not just repair the windscreen, the sales manager assured me it would be replaced as the chip was too big to repair.
Old 26 January 2005, 12:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Just before Christmas, I had a new (well, second hand) rear screen fitted, in order to put a rear wash wipe on my UK car.

The guy that did the job is a screen fitter, and also a very good mate.

He told me that although the glue will "go off" in about 2-3 hours in present cold damp conditions, it could take up to 3 days before it was set completely, so to avoid driving with windows open during that time.

I don't think he was revving me up.

Alcazar
Old 26 January 2005, 12:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I had the screen on my old scooby replaced a couple of times - and in each case, it squeaked and rattled like a good 'un on the way home afterwards. By the next morning, however, it was fine.

My advice is not to worry unless it's still squeaking the next day - and given how cold it is right now, it could be even longer.
Old 26 January 2005, 06:25 PM
bigunit
Scooby Regular

I have fitted windscreens for 10 years now and it takes 1hour for the glue to take a hold on the screen so it can be used but upto 6 weeks for it to go off all the way unless they used 2 pack glue 1-2 hours fully set.

In my experience it is common for squeaking even wind noise for upto 2 days but thats it, if still doing it after then tell them its not right they will have to remove and refit it dont let them backfill it must be removed and refitted hope this helps.
john
Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I had the screen on my old scooby replaced a couple of times - and in each case, it squeaked and rattled like a good 'un on the way home afterwards. By the next morning, however, it was fine.

My advice is not to worry unless it's still squeaking the next day - and given how cold it is right now, it could be even longer.
Old 26 January 2005, 06:31 PM
bigunit
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note for all, if at the time of ordering a windscreen replacement you ask for a dealer part they will get you one but you will have to wait upto a week

and with 90% of insurance companys will cost you no more than xs amount
rac autowindscreens do a green tint with a green top tint but not a dealer 1.
regards john
Old 27 January 2005, 10:07 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

Asked my dealer about the windscreen yesterday.

SGT fit them for around £60ish and the screen costs £167 + VAT.

They also need 24 hours to settle and they will creak initially.
Old 27 January 2005, 11:20 AM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Christ! The guy at RAC must be mistaken. Or there is a huge mark up on retail items, especially if it was an insurance job.
Old 27 January 2005, 11:39 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

I thought that sounded a bit expensive.

I used to have a Ford Mondeo with a heated front screen, they are supposed to be silly money for a window and they retail around £350. So £570 sounded a bit silly considering it is just a pain of glass without all the complications of heating elements.
Old 27 January 2005, 11:50 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Just had a new windscreen fitted earlier today, all went well.

Am i being fed ****? or is this right?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Autoglass are not very good at repairing faulty workmanship. They replaced the rear windscreen on my Atravan last year. The guy put the windscreen wiper on round the wrong way so that it cleaned the boot, rather than the glass He also fitted it in such away that I couldn't get it back off. After 4/5 phonecalls to them, which got me nowhere, I rang my insurrance company and had to get them to help.

The windscreen should not be vibrating after 3 hours. It WILL take 7 days to fully set, but the mastic will be strong enough to hold the glass within a few mins. If its vibrating now, it still will in 7 days. Ring your insurance company asap
Old 27 January 2005, 11:59 AM
Mr Pants!
Scooby Regular

I think I will just stick with SGT after reading this.
Old 27 January 2005, 06:37 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Fitting new screens has always been a drag for me as they always seem to leak and never fit correctly(autoglass again), that was on previous cars i've owned and not on my present scoob.

My mate had his rear screen dashed by some drunk **** at christmas, this was on a Proton , he was not insured for glass breakage as he's third party only. Anyway he removed a screen at a scrap yard (very difficult job)and then fitted it to his car, the adhesive was a type of polyurethane foam which sets in around half an hour, he got this from a windscreen fitting place, the screen does not rattle or creek at all.

Contact you insurer and tell them the problem, they should be able to get your screen correctly re-fitted for you.
Old 27 January 2005, 10:56 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Autogalss did the passenger side front door glass on my classic last year and found them to be very professional. Fitted it in the dark no problems, no squeeks no rattles. Just had to re-adjust the stops after about a week as it started to just catch the little plastic sticky-out-bit. Which took all of about 10 minutes to do.

Cost was £50 on insurance , but he said the glass (which was genuine Scooby) was over £200 if I was paying...
Old 04 October 2006, 06:01 PM
info@windscreenleak.com
Scooby Newbie

Default Windscreen Leak

Hi
have a look at the followinf and you will see how good rac auto windscreens are a fitting glass, they didnt just leave a leak in my screen they ruined it
http://www.windscreenleak.com
Old 04 October 2006, 06:30 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Had 2 screens from the rac in the last year. I left the car with them for 3 hours and both times I drove home on a very bumpy road. The thing was creaking both times but within a day or 2 it stopped and has been fine ever since.
Old 04 October 2006, 07:16 PM
info@windscreenleak.com
Scooby Newbie

Default Windscreen Leak

This was my first ever replacement windscreen done by a profesional company. i have owned 26 cars in my lifetime and i have been lucky to only have had one other breakage in a Mondeo which i replaced myself for £60. but this one took the biscuit once replaced by RAC AUTO WINDSCREENS it leaked like mad and they took 7 days to come back and uplift the car by which time the central locking, electric window, abs etc started to fail.
RAC AUTO WINDSCREENS totally ignored my reuests for repairs to be carried out and by the time i had got them to court the inside of my car was rotten.http://www.windscreenleak.com was my way of telling the world...
Old 04 October 2006, 07:32 PM
ryansclassicscoob
Scooby Regular

i had a screen fitted in my classic about a month ago it did creak the first day but the next day it was fine, autoglass wanted 300+ for a screen and i got it don locally for 174 all in and they picked up my car and returned it when done bargin you do need to phone around
Old 04 October 2006, 07:42 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

£110 pound all in fitted to my classic no squeaks no probs very good guys, if anyone in the midlands needs glass replacing or repairing pm me and will pass you the details
Old 04 October 2006, 07:52 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts
Had 2 screens from the rac in the last year. I left the car with them for 3 hours and both times I drove home on a very bumpy road. The thing was creaking both times but within a day or 2 it stopped and has been fine ever since.
Ditto, creaked for a day or two after fitting and nothing now.

I also had a problem with the new screen misting up, but since cleaning it with everyday glass cleaner, this problem no longer happens.

I'm happy with the job they did on mine

Edit - Thinking about it, it could be autoglass who carried out the work and not RAC
Old 04 October 2006, 08:40 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I had the screen on my 03sti replaced 2 weeks back by RAC windscreens in Chelmsford. I can't fault the workmanship, and care they took of my car and quality of the screen.

In fact the new screen is better than the old, cos it has a handy dandy shaded top center.
Very impressed.

dipster.
Old 04 October 2006, 10:02 PM
info@windscreenleak.com
Scooby Newbie

Default Windscreen Leak

I know that some guys have had no problems with RAC AUTO WINDSCREENs but the one thing that annoyed me more than anything is that fact that they left the car full of water for 7 days until they finally decided they should sort it out, NO COMPANY WORTH THERE SALT WOULD LEAVE A CUSTOMER FOR 7 DAYS WHEN THEY HAD LEFT A LEAK IN THE SCREEN or would they.
well it seems yes they would.
RAC AUTO WINDSCREENS also told my insurance company a heap of lies about having done an investigation and finding no fault but i did manage to prove otherwise....
http://www.windscreenleak.com
Old 05 October 2006, 01:06 AM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

I guess it's down to the skill of the actual fitted i suppose.
Old 05 October 2006, 04:31 AM
Bram
Scooby Regular

Got a windscreen fitted in RAC in Stirling after a chip then crack developed. The guy coud not have been more professional, he even waited for me to come back to point out some work carried out by subura on a one of there dealer replaced windscreens. Had to wait an hour for the glue to set.

No squeeks no issues except wot the manufacture uses for suckas or protection, takes ages to come off.

So a would go with which guy is fitting it not the company. And I take it like all companies in this industry their ability can vary from franchise to franchise.
Old 05 October 2006, 08:50 AM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

RAC windscreen trashed a mate of mines brand new Saab, blood on the seats from where the guy cut himself, knife or screwdriver hole in the dash board, and chipped/dented all of the paintwork sourounding the screen.

The best bit of all was that it took them over 4 hours to fit the screen and do the damage above, they then had to take the screen out a couple of weeks later to repair the hole in the dashboard.

They admitted all faults and repaired it all as best they could, in his case it didn't really matter as its a company car and he gets a new one every 4-6 months.

I guess its really down to the fitter and his experience level

Quick Reply: new windscreen