Cheap Petrol on the Way!

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2006, 01:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Cheap Petrol on the Way!

Oil prices tumbling!!!

Petrol expected to drop 10p a Litre ....... to about 74p!!

I blame Labour and Tony Blair!!

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 01:30 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Should' come down even further when we reap the benefits of bombing the hell out of the Iraqis

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 25 September 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:35 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

wahoo.

welcome back pete, missed having you around, where ya been hiding?
Old 25 September 2006, 01:36 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Will come down until Labour decide to up the duty on fuel
Old 25 September 2006, 01:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
Will come down until Labour decide to up the duty on fuel

The new GREEN Tories will tax petrol out-of-sight along with the Liberals ... you KNOW who to vote for if you like driving!!

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 01:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
wahoo.

welcome back pete, missed having you around, where ya been hiding?
Well .................... had 5 weeks on holiday, broken by a few days at home (but the sun was shining and I was out and about!)

Then, someone/something/somehow my Hard Drive got wiped clean

Had to re-build the brick!

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 01:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Well .................... had 5 weeks on holiday, broken by a few days at home (but the sun was shining and I was out and about!)

Then, someone/something/somehow my Hard Drive got wiped clean

Had to re-build the brick!

Pete
doh!!!!! virus?
Old 25 September 2006, 01:42 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Oil prices tumbling!!!

Pete
I'll believe it when i see it.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The new GREEN Tories will tax petrol out-of-sight along with the Liberals ... you KNOW who to vote for if you like driving!!

Pete
Not forgetting the libreal democrats and their green taxes. 800 quid a year for road tax, bring it on pmsl.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Labour Pay-per-mile scheme just around the corner
Old 25 September 2006, 02:12 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

94pence per litre by me for v-power which is nice
Old 25 September 2006, 02:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Not forgetting the libreal democrats and their green taxes. 800 quid a year for road tax, bring it on pmsl.
LibDems are obviously scared of power - who would vote for them with that anti- motorist manifesto!
£800 - in your dreams! A new Scoob would be 2 grand - comes in the same emissions category as the Chelsea tractors!
JohnD
Old 25 September 2006, 02:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gaz-cole
94pence per litre by me for v-power which is nice
honestly, thats not a "nice" price
i can remember paying just under half that back in the days.......
Old 25 September 2006, 02:45 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Me and Pete remember National Benzol and Cleveland Discol at 3/6 a gallon! If you lot can't convert that to decimal currency, ask your mum and dad (or grandma!)
JohnD
Old 25 September 2006, 03:32 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
yeah so can i but they are just memories in this country and it will never be the same taxing gits
Old 25 September 2006, 03:34 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Originally Posted by JohnD
Me and Pete remember National Benzol and Cleveland Discol at 3/6 a gallon! If you lot can't convert that to decimal currency, ask your mum and dad (or grandma!)
JohnD
17.5p

Do I win?
Old 25 September 2006, 03:36 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Pete
You also know who to vote for if you want to totally stuff the country for another 4 years.
Old 25 September 2006, 03:38 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
LibDems are obviously scared of power - who would vote for them with that anti- motorist manifesto!
£800 - in your dreams! A new Scoob would be 2 grand - comes in the same emissions category as the Chelsea tractors!
JohnD
And what would be the argument against a tax system which penalises those cars that do the most damage to the planet?
Old 25 September 2006, 04:24 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Ah!!! heady day's...the esso sign means happy motoring...... And, keep going well, keep going shell you can be sure of shell shell shell...The days when you could fill a 12 gallon tank for £3.00.......I remember them well...
dave
Old 25 September 2006, 05:01 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Oil prices tumbling!!!

Pete
dream come true
Old 25 September 2006, 05:09 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
And what would be the argument against a tax system which penalises those cars that do the most damage to the planet?
The argument would be that if these cars use more fuel then you are already paying more tax on the fuel, what on earth is wrong with putting "green" taxes on fuel, the more you use (and pollute) the more you pay - simple. I did 1400 miles in 6 months in my Scoob why should I pay the same green taxes as someone who does 10 times that?

As it happens mine is a classic so would probably not come under the new tax regime, which is great for me, but probably not so good for the planet, all this talk of massive car tax bills for 4X4s is just a political gimmick, it really does not make much sense if you think about it.
Old 25 September 2006, 05:37 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by RJMS
The argument would be that if these cars use more fuel then you are already paying more tax on the fuel, what on earth is wrong with putting "green" taxes on fuel, the more you use (and pollute) the more you pay - simple. I did 1400 miles in 6 months in my Scoob why should I pay the same green taxes as someone who does 10 times that?
Totaly agree,

What about the 30,000 mile per year rep in his diesel barge using the so called cleaner fuel, just because his car is cleaner mile for mile than a scoob why should he get away with a cheaper tax when the total milage per year would probably cause more harm to the planet ??

It just wouldn't work as there would always be counter arguments to every scheme !!

Mark
Old 25 September 2006, 06:27 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJMS

As it happens mine is a classic so would probably not come under the new tax regime, which is great for me, but probably not so good for the planet, all this talk of massive car tax bills for 4X4s is just a political gimmick, it really does not make much sense if you think about it.
Very true, however, the current system does not tax people in proportion to how much their car pollutes. Put the annual mileage issue to one side for a moment. Currently the lowest polluting car is the Toyota Prius with 104 CO2 g/km. This car will do 44mpg touring. The worst is probably something like the McClaren SLR with 348 CO2 g/km. This car will do about 37mpg touring. All figures courtesy of Autocar. Therefore, the McClaren pollutes far more per km than the Prius. Now I am not suggesting we all go out and buy Prius', however, the current tax on fuel does not penalise the worst offenders hard enough to make their owners switch to something more economical.

For those who think that high mileage drivers should be penalised more, I agree with you. What we need is a better system of taxation based on the car you drive and the mileage you do. Something very similar to company car tax would have the desired effect - look how many people now choose the diesel option. Or how about when you get to the petrol pump you have to input your car's registration and get charged for petrol in proportion to how much your car pollutes.

And before this thread descends into a row about how much we are taxed already I would like to point out that I think we already pay too much tax. I know I certainly do. In this instance it would be possible to avoid most of the tax by choosing the right kind of car. I do appreciate that this is probably not the ideal forum to provoke a positive response to this suggestion, but something does need to be done before we screw up this planet once and for all. And until it hits us where it hurts (in our pockets) we won't change a thing.
Old 25 September 2006, 06:52 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

The worst is probably something like the McClaren SLR with 348 CO2 g/km. This car will do about 37mpg touring.
37mpg out of a Merc SLR - I'll believe that when I see it !

It's a long time since I did A level chemisty, but surely the amount of CO2 produced is directly proportional to the amount of petrol burnt, I know that the Prius is clever but I don't think that even it can recycle CO2.

Surely the answer has got to be more use of alternative fuels like bio-ethanol, from what I understand, this is virtually carbon neutral, i.e the amount produced when burning it is much the same as is absorbed while growing it.

I see absolutely no logic in putting green taxes in ridiculously high annual charges for certain classes of car, apart from as a sop to the Guardian reading, Top Gear hating minority.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:32 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I have to admit that SLR mpg looks a little optimistic but I could have used other more plausible examples that would have hade the same point. A quick glance in the back of Autocar suggests that there is NOT a strong correlation between mpg and CO2.

I am afraid that when parents take their kids to school in a massive 4x4 and a few hours walking around London leaves you with thick black bogies, there are very real reasons to tax certain types of car heavily. There is also the minor issue of global warming which, if left unchecked, will destroy all life as we know it. But that will only affect Gaurdian readers so doesn't really matter.

One thing I have noticed about this forum is that if someone makes a grown up comment then the thread dies a quick death, but if someone asks something superficial about Scoobies it drags on for an eternity. Perhaps this is as good an illustration as any that most people who drive high polluting cars do need taxation to make them make the "right" choices.

INCOMING
Old 25 September 2006, 09:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Angry

Cars are another easy target, we motorists mostly just pay up. The real culprits of course are large industrial companies who can afford to lobby the Govt & hence pay relativeley F All in taxes ... ho hum!!

TX.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:56 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

So you don't think a 50% reduction in the emissions of Britains 20 million+ cars would make much of a difference? I take your point, but it does rather scream "I want something done about this problem, but don't want the solution to impact me one bit".
Old 25 September 2006, 10:02 PM
hojkoff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Cars are another easy target
Amen! Increasing the duty on fuel and road tax is an easy way for the government to say that it's doing it's thing for the planet. When in all truth cars arn't even half the battle.

Imagine if the government hicked through the roof TAX on heavy polluting industry. Companies would have to close down and unemployment would increase and that's not what anyone wants. What about cheap air travel? A plane jacks out a HUGE amount of CO2 and as domestic flight prices fall, pollution goes up because more flights are put on.

I can fly if I book enough in advance from Edinburgh to Bristol return for about £30. If is was to drive I'm looking at about £150+ in fuel. Now which on is going to pollute more? The plane of course!

Even if everyone in the world suddenly decided for the next 10 years nobodies going to use a car because the fuel is to expensive, the world would still heat up.

From a biological point of view gobble warming is a limiting factor for the population of the earth. And it is going to happen. The more people there are the more the earth heats up through human activity. The planet that we live is wasn't designed to take as many people as are in it now. And this is the way it's going to knock the population down. When enough people die from the heat, the would will cool down again and the population can expand. The only thing that we can change is how fast global warming hits us and the government soon need to understand that discouraging people from using there cars (which are are a drop in the ocean compared to the bigger picture) isn't the complete answer.

And as long as Bush is in power not giving two ****s about the environment, as long as china keeps pumping the **** of the day into the atmosphere, we're all ****ed. So Blair, let us enjoy our cars whilst we still can!
Old 25 September 2006, 10:16 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Time for another reply from the lone Green voice on the forum . The recent increase in petrol prices and the stampeed towards more fuel efficient cars shows that taxation will work.

Taxing industry, that is global industry, is very difficult as you point out. There is no point slapping massive taxes on UK firms only for the rest of the world to sit back and watch their companies wipe out all British industry. This is particualrly true of the airline industry.

I appreciate George Bush is an ***, but he will be out of office soon and hopefully someone with a brain will take his place. In the meantime we must do the best we can.

hojkoff, in 50 years when you are sitting in front of the fire at Christmas time with your grandchildren and they ask you why the planet is in such a mess, maybe you would like to tell them that back when you had a chance to make a difference you really didn't give a **** about their or anyone else's future . All that mattered was that you got to drive a particular type of car.

I am not suggesting more tax. I am suggesting better targeted tax. Make the polluter pay.
Old 25 September 2006, 10:18 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Oil prices tumbling!!!

Pete
As soon as petrol is 74p a litre and there's a picture of my **** in all it's glory on Scoobynet.

Dream on.

Quick Reply: Cheap Petrol on the Way!