Sponsored by:

Virgin Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 11:18 AM
dbratton
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Virgin Help!!!!

Hey guys hows it going just thinking of buying a new ride and think ive come of age to own a Scooby....but...I dont have any idea of what to check for or what to avoid and were to go not to be ripped offf.....I got about £3500 bucks to spend not a lot I know....any ideas any suggestions would be great...Love some of your pics in the gallery....cant wait to get me hands on one...... cheers....Dunk..
Old 21 September 2006, 11:27 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Where do you live?

Get yourself to a scooby meet and talk to people.

lots of people pay £3500 for a scooby and are happy with it for ages.

lots of people pay the same and have nothing but problems.

the best way is to be patient and see as many as you can.
there is always someone knowledgable at meets who will tag along with you to view a few.

make sure you have money in reserve as these things are not cheap to keep on the road, should a few minor things crop up.

get it serviced and cam belt changed as well (£200-£300) depending on where done.

hope it works out for you, and you get as much pleasure from it as we do ours in ESC.

Dazza
Old 21 September 2006, 11:28 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Spend as much as you can on a nice tidy UK example, with full service history.

TBH 3.5k is not enough - try to stretch top another grand if you can. yes Scoobs can be had for 3.5k but if it goes pop your looking at a 1.5-2.5k for an engine rebuild.

not trying to put yoou off and you might get a good 'un but most at this price are a bit dubious to say the least.

Maybe buy from a dealer and get an extended warrenty.

good luck
Old 21 September 2006, 02:49 PM
SPANK
Scooby Regular

save ya money for a good one mate,i thought id got a good bargain when i bought a cheap scooby but now after doing all the things that went wrong on it i may as well of spend 6k on a good one,choose wisely and im sure you will find a nice one to enjoy
Old 21 September 2006, 03:02 PM
Sweepickit
Scooby Regular

paid £3700 for this: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...t/scoob001.jpg A MY95 WRX import
Still had standard uk spec exhaust... was previously owned by a bank official... I think the fastest it had been before I got it was on my test drive.
I guess you've got to get lucky though!
Old 21 September 2006, 03:07 PM
SPANK
Scooby Regular

lovely looking car that mate i paid £2500 for mine and it needs quite a bit of work, but looks like you got a good buy there buddy.
Old 21 September 2006, 03:16 PM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sweepickit
paid £3700 for this: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...t/scoob001.jpg A MY95 WRX import
Still had standard uk spec exhaust... was previously owned by a bank official... I think the fastest it had been before I got it was on my test drive.
I guess you've got to get lucky though!

How can it be a MY95 WRX IMPORT but with a standard UK spec exhaust ?
Old 21 September 2006, 03:24 PM
Sweepickit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ralphandcarol
How can it be a MY95 WRX IMPORT but with a standard UK spec exhaust ?
When the car was imported it had to be reverted to uk spec for the SVA test as it was less than ten years old. Needless to say it is no longer standard!
Old 21 September 2006, 03:32 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dbratton
Hey guys hows it going just thinking of buying a new ride and think ive come of age to own a Scooby....but...I dont have any idea of what to check for or what to avoid and were to go not to be ripped offf.....I got about £3500 bucks to spend not a lot I know....any ideas any suggestions would be great...Love some of your pics in the gallery....cant wait to get me hands on one...... cheers....Dunk..
You can have my Terzo for £4k if its any use, full dealer history,good driving car, uk so insurable for a first scoob.If any interest I can send pics/details. Depends where you are tho. i'm in Scotland. good luck anyway
Old 21 September 2006, 03:56 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You can get good ones for that money, but you'll have to have a good look around and perhaps be a bit lucky. It'll probably have quite high miles, but that has never bothered me - my MY00 has 96k at the moment and its sweet.

I sold my MY95 WRX a year ago for £4200 with 102k miles, it needed absolutely nothing and was immaculate:

Old 21 September 2006, 05:55 PM
dbratton
Scooby Newbie

Question the virgin again

cheers for all your info guys...ive just been out lookin again drove a couple without the dump valve and was wonderin how difficult it would be to take dump valve off if i bought1 with it on.....also i drove a wagon it was really nice to drive but when i stopped and turned the engine off a ploom of smoke came up from under the bonnet the guy assured me that it was oil leaking from the rocker cover on to the exhaust but were not sure...should we steer clear or is this a common fault....and can be fixed cheaply....sorry for all the questions but any help as soon as would help....cheers...dunk...xx
Old 21 September 2006, 07:34 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Never done it myself, but I am sure it can't be too difficult to take the dump valve off. Obviously you would have to replace it with a standard one though.

Stay away from that smoky wagon if I was you!!