Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Virgin Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 11:19 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone out there got any idea on the amount of space you get when using Premium Economy on Virgin planes?
Taking the family [wife two kids one five one three months] on an eight hour flight and need to know if this is good enough or whether Business Class is the way to go.
Unfortunately, I can't get a price for a BC ticket on the website.
Or would British Airways be a better option?
There website isn't as much fun as the Virgin one though ...
Old 05 February 2001, 11:42 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Now if I remember the Virgin classes correctly:

Economy
Premium Economy
Upper Class

If the above seems correct then I can help! (I have a bad memory for these things!!)

I was flying to Hong Kong (14 hours), and I got upgraded from Economy to Premium, and all I can say is WOW!!!!

Loads of legroom, and if the cost isn't an issue then do it!! Flying back I wasn't so lucky, and would pay the extra next time!!!

It was basically the class between Upper and Economy, but I can't remember what it was called!

I hope this helps
Andy

Old 05 February 2001, 11:50 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Travel agents are normally sent all the specifics of seat sizes, leg room, pitch etc.

So if you ring one of them you can probably get the lowdown on the Premium Economy details (and prices).

BA currently only do Premium Economy to America - or so I was told when trying to book a holiday to Australia 2 weeks ago.
Old 05 February 2001, 11:58 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I have used them both, so here goes.
Virgin has 'Premium Economy' and to compete BA has just started their 'World Traveller Plus'. Both are one step above Economy. The difference in Virgin is bigger as it bridges the gap between Economy and Upper class, whereas BA also have Business class and First class. Upper class usually costs the same as BA business class. Most websites show seat pitch, but call the airlines if you cant find it.
BA - 0845 7711177
Virgin - 01293 747747
Old 05 February 2001, 01:37 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

I've flown Virgin over 30 times in Upper Class and Premium Econ... if you buy a premium econ ticket and turn up early, I've had a very good success rate with getting bumped into upper class... this works on VS19/20 (San Francisco) and VS21/22 (Wash DC).

Remember to get your freeway membershipm you can earn miles v quick on Virgin

Enjoy!

Simon (no connections to Virgin, just had lots of good experiences, versus some dire ones with BA).
Old 05 February 2001, 01:40 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

BA suck....

sorry - I just had to say it...

Never, ever fly long haul with them - treat you like cattle and the food, service, seat, etc. is all total sh!te....
Old 05 February 2001, 01:50 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Simon P,
Do you know the ratio of flown miles to free miles, I usually fly Virgin to Japan and the states and have found them fine, been upgraded to prmium once, excellent seats plenty big to sleep in, definately well worth it, anyone know the xtra % cost for going to premium econ??

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2001, 01:54 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys.
Managed to find what was being offered and it seems that Virgin offer the much better deal.
At half the price of BA!!!
Only problem may be that babies are not allowed on the upper deck without prior arrangement so I'll have to look into this.
Also, it seems there is a facility for fast check-in. A good thing when you have littl'uns.
Pricewise, Virgin will cost 3,668.90gbp while BA is a whopping 7,097gbp.
Gosh!
Old 05 February 2001, 02:32 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

BA suck.... !!!!!!

Old 05 February 2001, 02:47 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Cool

AWD

Is that a reason for travelling on BA or giving them a miss ...

Perhaps thats why the stewardesses always look like that

Stewardesses is the longest word you can type using only your left hand. Unless of course, you can't spell
Old 05 February 2001, 02:58 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have you seen some of the BA stewardesses?

Yeeeeuuuccchhhh....

On a more serious note - having flown them several times to Australia I can say that they are abysmal for long haul trips. They're not too hot for the US either (apart from the time they gave me a free upgrade to business class).
Old 05 February 2001, 03:20 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Ratios I believe are:

Econ miles flown x 1
Premium Econ miles flown x 1.5
Upper miles flown x 2.0

might be wrong, check with Virgin Atlantic web site... note, they recently changed Freeway so that all flights count - previously economy ones didn't count until you did one in a higher class or 3 econs in a year...
Old 05 February 2001, 03:33 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Last BA experience, return leg from San Francisco to Heathrow, business class...

Had to have a shouting match with the people at the check in to convince them I was on the plane, and I was business class, they *eventually* 'upgraded' me to the business class seat I should have been in and I got to the gate, where they refused to let me on. So, I had to run back to check in, grabbed somebody and marched them to the gate... got on the plane, and the stewardess dropped hot fish oil on me when serving dinner...

I'll fly Virgin :-)
Old 05 February 2001, 03:47 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My sister recently flew to the land that named me on BA.
Arrived at Heathrow four hours before flight time.
BA have just arranged a new system where you can check in at any of their fifty gates.
Except if your four hours early when they tell you to come back in an hour or two!
Anyway. She waited and then managed to get checked in TWENTY MINUTES BEFORE FLIGHT TIME!
Got to the boarding gate and was chastised by the steward for being late and how she should have got there in time for her flight. Well, she snapped and told the steward rather politely of the attrocious way in which early passengers were being treated.
In BA's defence, me sis and her friend were upgraded to Business Class. But that's not the way you want to get an upgrade and can actually ruin what should be the start of an enjoyable holiday.
Virgin will be getting my hard earned I think.
Old 05 February 2001, 10:54 PM
Bosozoku
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

I've had good experiences on Virgin and BA, long haul, but the main reason that I won't use Virgin anymore unless I have to is my overnight flight back from Miami a few years ago. Virgin make a big deal about having a bar in Upper Class. As it was an overnight flight I wanted to sleep once the meal was finished. Unfortunately, however, I was sat right next to the bar and some middle aged bloke spent practically the whole trip drinking and chatting up some woman who was sad enought to keep listening to him. The only time I got any peace was when they had to sit down due to turbulence but as soon as the seatbelt light went out they were at it again. I asked the purser to ask them to stop but he wouldn't. The flight was full so I had nowhere to escape to. This told me that Virgin cares more for glitz and image than passenger comfort and this one incident cancelled out all the massages (waste of time anyway ... more image) and limousines. Sorry Richard.

If you're long-hauling to Asia, IMHO best for comfort and service in both business and economy is Singapore Airlines.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:55 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My experience of BA long haul hasn't been to bad. I fly to the States quite a lot on business and I reckon I've been upgraded to business class on roughly 25% of my flights -which ain't bad. If you are regular traveller, it does help having the BA Silver or Gold card (check in early, be nice to the check-in staff and don't be afraid to ask) or if you fly an awful lot, you can get the unadvertised platinium card, which just about guarantees an upgrade on every flight. I was in Paris a few months back, waiting to get on a BA flight (lots of delays and cancelled flights etc), this guy with a platinium card, just strolls up to the desk without about half a dozen people all fighting to get on the same flight, 25 mins before departure and gets given a seat straight away - git.

Chris

BTW Bajie - in answer to your question, don't know the exact dimensions, but I'm told that Virgin is definitely the one to go for.
Old 06 February 2001, 09:02 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I had a BA frequent flyer card and NEVER got upgraded although I flew every two weeks.
Also El Al, and SAS never upgraded.
El Al I was questioned for at least 45mins every time I flew and flying into Sweden I was always interrogated by customs. In the end I found my Ericsson pass to be more valuable than my EU passport.
I guess you have to look like a Businessman to get an upgrade.
Old 06 February 2001, 11:44 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Singapore Airlines are excellent for the Far East/Australian routes. Nice chance to do some shopping in Singapore as well. Cheap gadgets sir? Suits you....

So how do I get a BA platinum card then?

Old 06 February 2001, 11:56 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was flying out to Zurich in BA's business class. No problems there.

They managed to spill wine down me when collecting the trays, but I got a free bottle of after shave for that!!

And then as I was getting cleaned up, I got given a customer service survey for my troubles!!

Personally I wouldn't use BA again (if I had a choice!!)

For my flights to Hong Kong, I will only use Virgin or Cathy Pacific, but for those flights, I have to pay for them out my own pocket!!!

Andy
Old 06 February 2001, 01:44 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I wouldn't mind trying Virgin to Australia, but they only go as far as the Far East.

I'd be interested in trying premium economy to Oz but apparently the only airline that offers it is Garuda (Indonesian Airlines) - and I'm not going to fly with them.
Old 06 February 2001, 01:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bajie you must be a dodgy looking geezer then

AWD, they don't give them out to your usual frequent flyers (heard something like you've got to be in the top 2% of flyers or similar). One of our directors used to have one and because he was based in Hong Kong, he racked up loads of airmiles. I believe they are given out by invitiation only.

Chris
Old 06 February 2001, 01:51 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I didn't think that there was much chance of getting one...

shame....

Pity we don't get airmiles for number of posts eh?

Old 06 February 2001, 03:15 PM
Bosozoku
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Talking of frequent flyer cards, don't you think it's so sad when blokes have the BA blue cards strapped to their briefcases, even when they're nowhere near a plane or an airport? R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking