Sponsored by:

God i hate the police!

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 10:22 AM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God i hate the police!

My friend drove into sainsbury's the other day in his rather mint scooby to get some money from the cash machine. As he drove in there, there was a "police man" walkin past and was lookin around the car while he was gettin his cash out.

When my mate got back to his car the "police man" told him that his exhaust is too loud and over a certain noise limit and the exhaust would also fail the mot so the exhaust is to be removed.

Just as my friend was about to drive off, a traffic cop pulls up and escourts him to a garage to get the exhausts removed! Wot an *** hole!

So now my mates scooby is just as quiet as a 1.1 fiesta!

Last edited by WR1Nikki; 20 September 2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:31 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Should have told him to p*** off as you were on private property - saying that they would have pulled her anyway once on the public highway.

Dont tarnish them all with the same brush though there's good 'uns and bad 'uns - sounds like this one was a little jumped up little toe-rag.

What you should have done is politely ask him to take his number and then said ok if i get it checked out and it is under the limit i am requesting that you pay my loss of earnings as i am going to work and i am going to report you to your chief constable for harrassment.

he might have backed off then - unless you had a nur-spec of course

But what would i know i'm no copper
Old 20 September 2006, 10:35 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I too get annoyed with scooby exhausts that are too loud. There is one that drives around my neighbourhood in the middle of the night.

the prodrive one is loud enough to enjoy and still legal

The policeman did sound out of order though, and should have let your mate off with a warning to get it looked at or else...........
Old 20 September 2006, 10:37 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Just how did the Fcukwit, sorry `Police Officer` know the exhaust was too loud. Did he have a decible reader on him? How did he know it would fail the MOT? Is he a Mechanic?

I'd have argued that unless he showed me proof, that he could go and catch a real criminal, instead of p1ssing about doing his shopping.

******* Jobsworth
Old 20 September 2006, 10:39 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
the prodrive one is loud enough to enjoy and still legal
Not according to Scottish Police there not. Remember reading last year, Just after I'd bought a STI PPP that Scottish Police were issuing Tickets for the PPP Exhausts being too loud.
Old 20 September 2006, 10:50 AM
octain
Scooby Regular

i had this with window tint , he told me it was illegal and i should remove it there and then, i asked him to prove it and he couldn't get the van with the gear out to me , so had to back down, he said if i didn't take it off he would , i said go ahead and the next time you meet me is in court , a traffic cop came and said the same i put the windows down and stated that if i was not using the so said offending items on the road there was nothing they could do, there is no law to say you have to have your front windows up , , this went on for an hour as i also stated i was not driving the car at the time the windows were up, and only drive with the windows removed (wound down), they gave up after i stated i could sit there all day could they, got a producer , but im always legal that way lol

Mick
Old 20 September 2006, 10:58 AM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

its like they have nothin better to do with their time than to **** of drivers with their pettyness, i just bloody hate them!
Old 20 September 2006, 11:08 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

POLICE = Social Rejects
Old 20 September 2006, 11:11 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

All policemen were bullied at school so now they seek revenge on society
Old 20 September 2006, 11:33 AM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
All policemen were bullied at school so now they seek revenge on society

i agree, theyre social misfits!
Old 20 September 2006, 11:39 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

It not so much the police (although I beleive that applying to be a policeman should automatically disqualify you from ever being one) It's the targets they have to meet.

With this government and thier wonderful target systems for everything, the human side of policing/healthcare/Schools etc, the actual realities of life and discretion get thrown out the wondow - All that matters is turnover and productivity, and if you don't have the right amount of tickets issued, or arrests made, then you apparantly aren;t doing your job.
Old 20 September 2006, 11:40 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

think you will find that the noise level for exhaust is measured at tickover and is to the descresion ov the tester, 99% sure is only motorbikes where there is a db level in place
Old 20 September 2006, 11:44 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1Nikki
i agree, theyre social misfits!
I prefer Social Rejects
Old 20 September 2006, 11:47 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Most coppers are w4nkers these days and emphasise the word most as not all of them are.

It tends to work like this these days:

If you get burgled, assaulted etc you wait three days for them to turn up and take statements.

Give one of them on the end of a speed camera the finger and they are knocking on your door within the hour.

Just my two pence worth.

Daz
Old 20 September 2006, 11:56 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Just had a scout around for noise emmision regs

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20031866.htm

" for vehicles with an engine power of not less than 75 kilowatts, 86 decibels (A)."

How loud is 86dB?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel...used_dB_values

100 Jackhammer at 2 m (7 ft); inside disco
90 Loud factory, heavy truck at 1 m (3 ft)
80 Vacuum cleaner at 1 m (3 ft), curbside of busy street

86dB is fairly effin loud.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:01 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

What you need to remember about decibels is that for every 3 decibels, the sound level doubles, IIRC.

If this exhaust was stupidly loud, then I don't blame the policeman, because they're flippin' annoying, if it was borderline, he should have requested you get it checked out and let you go on your way.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:01 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Most coppers are w4nkers these days and emphasise the word most as not all of them are.

It tends to work like this these days:

If you get burgled, assaulted etc you wait three days for them to turn up and take statements.

Give one of them on the end of a speed camera the finger and they are knocking on your door within the hour.

Just my two pence worth.

Daz
I've always been tempted to give those gits in the camera vans a wave but on reflection probably wont now.

Just goes to show where the priorities lie though..... if it's an easy hit, take it!!
Old 20 September 2006, 12:12 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Do any of you work??

If so, do you work with anyone who is a bit of a ****??

If a member of the public meets that ****, would you say it is fair that you should also be brandished a **** because of your colleague?

What you don't realise is that, just like with most other "companies" the Police have different departments for diferent things. The traffic police enforce the traffic law, whilst the unifrom beat bobbies go to the burglaries. If that traffic car wasn't looking at your mates exhaust he would be looking at someone else's, because thats the department he works in.

If you work in the advertising department at a legal firm, but dont have any work to do today, do you go and give out legal advice to customers, even though you aren't a lawyer? Of course you don't.

So you could say that there should be less officers in the traffic departments and more in the burglary departments. Well thats down to the bosses and the government, not the individual officers that you are so quick to slag off.

Si
Old 20 September 2006, 12:15 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Without the copper having a calibrated dB meter and using it correctly, surely he could not just DEMAND the removal of the exhaust. That seems crazy. Demand you have the noise level check out maybe, not just bloody force you to remove the exhaust. Was he acting lawfully here?
Old 20 September 2006, 12:17 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Well said Si, a voice of reason at last!
Old 20 September 2006, 12:25 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I think coppers do a good job generally. This one did a good jobsworth !

If an exhaust is horrendously loud then maybe it should be removed but surely it can't be up to the average plod without said db meter to insist this is done immediately.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:28 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

You must get a pretty good feel for what is above the noise limit if it's your job, if the exhaust is plainly over the limit what's the point in using a db meter to confirm what you already know?
Old 20 September 2006, 12:30 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1Nikki
Just as my friend was about to drive off, a traffic cop pulls up and escourts him to a garage to get the exhausts removed! Wot an *** hole!

So now my mates scooby is just as quiet as a 1.1 fiesta!
Lucky that they had a spare exhaust in the car then!!

Seriously though, dont they have to issue a defect notice or something and give you 14 days to rectify the problem???
Old 20 September 2006, 12:31 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Andy, but it sounds like the cop called the traffic and they did the final processing, so it wasnt just one cops opinion.

To be honest my own PPP exhaust is a marginal nuisance (sp?) imho, i just couldnt justify anything louder.

each to there own i suppose (within reason)

Simon
Old 20 September 2006, 12:34 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
You must get a pretty good feel for what is above the noise limit if it's your job, if the exhaust is plainly over the limit what's the point in using a db meter to confirm what you already know?
Due process?

I mean, police must have a good idea of what someone speeding looks like - why bother with speed cameras? Let's just trust thier judgement and let them issues fines and points if you drive past them a bit fast.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:36 PM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

thats just it though the exhaust wasn't that loud, ive known cars with louder ones than his, copper just bein an *** hole
Old 20 September 2006, 12:39 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Mine wouldn't have any problem - Prodrive WR, albeit with a centre decat and deresonated. Just nice'n'burbly ! I tell my neighbours I need to sit in the car after a drive to prevent turbo damage, but in reality I like sitting in it and listening to the burble anyway- only had it 3 months !

My feeling was that since the Awfficer was using a sanction (ie forcing the guy to remove his exhaust), there should be something concrete to back this up.
Old 20 September 2006, 12:43 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Well said Si, a voice of reason at last!
Yep this kind of thread appears on this site so often now I dont respond to most now.

Last Saturday night I was working on nights, @4am responded to a report of banging noises at a premises. Arrived to find insecure door, opened door to be confronted with a maksed man brandishing a large crow bar in my face. Thankfully my colleague and I managed to subdue and arrested him for burglary. The hysterical occupier was most thankful for our actions.

Now I am not saying we can do this for everyone, but I know that if I can I will always try to get scum like this locked up. But thats my job, I am not traffic. However, traffic officers are often very good and proactive too for offences like robbery or burglary - but when presented with a case from another officer they do their job - just like I did last Satruday night... just a little more stressful..

And for what its worth Motor Vehicle Construction and Use Regs, Regulation 97 is prob the bit of legislation traffic used. Reg 55 deals with noise levels but needs to be backed up with noise meter readings - which maybe were done later at the MOT station? I assume someone, if not already done so, will recall the case of the PPP back box that failed a VOSA check recently..
Old 20 September 2006, 12:43 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Yawn, another slate the Police thread!
Old 20 September 2006, 12:45 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Due process?

I mean, police must have a good idea of what someone speeding looks like - why bother with speed cameras? Let's just trust thier judgement and let them issues fines and points if you drive past them a bit fast.
Yep thats called corroboration and 2 officers can statement their observations of your speed and in court this will stand up...

Quick Reply: God i hate the police!