Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Modification/info suggestions please??

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2006, 01:53 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification/info suggestions please??

After some deliberation on a few other motors that have now been discounted I am getting an STI probably on an 05 plate for I'm guessing around the £20k mark. I will be getting it with the PPP so thats 305hp straight away I believe.

However, is the exhaust system on the PPP all that, quality wise and noise wise? I'd be wanting something that is quite loud but not ridiculous.

Also, forgive my lack of knowledge here but after the PPP is there any point or possibility of getting a remap to up the power even further?

What is the general consensus on what induction kit to go for? HKS seems popular, although surely the open cone style mushroom filter will get killed by heatsoak?

Finally I am going to get a dump valve (not sure if that is frowned upon here but I've never had a turbo'd car and want to try one out, if I don't like it I can easily get rid), which one is the one to go for? Again I have heard of the HKS and Bailey, I would be after one that is reasonably loud but not so that it hurts your ears loud.

Also being up north near Middlesbrough does anyone know of any good tuners around these parts that could carry out exhaust/induction/remaps/dump valve fitment? The only one i know of is TDI North/System R in Warrington but that is a bit of a long journey. Or can those mods be easily done by yourself with the correct equipment, excluding remaps of course?

Thank you all for taking the time out to read this and for any responses that are left.

Cheers

G
Old 18 September 2006, 02:47 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

First of all, you could do a lot worse than have a look at THIS car. I've known Steve for many years and can personally vouch for his care and attention when it comes to his cars.

To keep the warranty you will pretty much have to keep the PPP exhaust system as is, although some dealers will overlook a change to the BB. They are quality parts anyway, being manufactured for Prodrive by Scorpion, giving excellent noise as well as good performance. You could consider a deresonated centre to release a bit more noise, but TBH I find that when people have done this the car becomes unbearable on motorway runs.

The PPP map can be reflashed, and on some cars this is necessary as the Prodrive generic map just doesn't suit, on others it can be awesome. I had 2 friends with the polaric opposites, both on 03 STi's. One was mind-bendingly quick, the other lagged like a bugger and ran out of puff by 5.5k revs. Richard Bulmer sorted it out. If you get a good one, leave it be until you are upgrading other bits and the map will benefit them.

Induction kits are pretty pointless on Scoobs. The OE airbox is perfectly capable up to and over 380bhp. A decent panel filter such as Green, K&N or JR Racing can give small benefits, but an IK may actually reduce power and introduce unreliability due to sensitive components such as the MAF sensor.

The car already has a dump valve, and it is perfectly suited to the car. As it is a recirc unit, it puts the MAF and AFR metered air back into the induction chamber to help slow the turbo and prevent stalling. This also prevents overfuelling which can have many undesireable effects. If you want to hear a noise like a bus opening its doors then experiment with removing the intake resonator and ram-air scoop, sealing the induction to get cool air from the OS wing. This will make both induction noise andfthe OE DV audible, and for no silly money. VTA DV's are seriously CHAV !

As far as the modification route goes, the Scoob is an awesomely powerful car already, but is let down occasionally by its handling and brakes. Throwing more power at it will make it a less balanced package. As an example, my lowly WRX PPP with just 260bhp will happilly stay glued to the **** of STi's with well in excess of 300BHP because I have made sure the handling matches the performance.

If it was my money I'd buy Steve's car, book it into Powerstation for their Stage 3 T25 kit (1400+vat), add some braided brake lines and Pagid Blue/Ferodo DSPF pads and then get some Roadcraft and Police Pursuit driving tuition.

All IMHO, HTH and welcome to SNet

Edited to add, just spotted THIS which would also be high on my list

Last edited by corradoboy; 18 September 2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 18 September 2006, 08:29 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Don't think you could ask for a better response than that Greg (Dave's on form in the early hours !).

I fitted a Deresonated centre pipe, didn't get motorway drone and with a WR (Prodrive) back box, the sound is beefy rather than really loud. Note Dave's
comments re the warranty though.

My car came with a Baileys DV, which I wouldn't have fitted myself, but have groen to love (Chavtastic ).
Old 18 September 2006, 11:38 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

That was just what I was after corradoboy - Dave? Very much appreciated.

The car you recommended at the start (Steve's car) does seem immaculate, however, there only seems to be one downfall to it, its not black
I am after/will soon be after a black STI with PPP on somewhere around an 05 plate.

With regard to the exhaust system, I am not into having ridiculous sized tailpipes on my cars, however, does the standard BB from the prodrive system look a tad small in comparison to the size of the rear bumper? I could be wrong but it just seemed that way judging by the pictures I have viewed. So in that case a change of the BB maybe in order, dealer permitting of course. If the change in BB was possible, what BB would you be looking into that would give a grat noise and looks superb?

Its going to be reasonably difficult I should think, to determine if the PPP needs reflashing. I will be coming from a modified Honda Civic Type R which has 210bhp and then stepping into a car that has 100 more bhp, I can see me just being blown away by it. It might be best I think that when I do get the motor, meeting up with someone in the know and asking what they think if I take them out or whatever. Unless of course I think the car is pretty flat at 305bhp in which case I probably won't be getting that particular one.

The induction kit situation wasn't really for anything other than that nice induction note you get, thats all that I was after really. so it seems the way forward here is to just get a replacement filter as you suggested.

It seems two birds are killed with one stone here as you mentioned the following:

"removing the intake resonator and ram-air scoop, sealing the induction to get cool air from the OS wing. This will make both induction noise andfthe OE DV audible."

I know what you are saying about OTT dump valves being chav, I just think I need one to get it out of my system and as I said if I hate it or after a while don't fancy it anymore I can easily get rid of it. So hypothetically speaking if you were in the market for one which would be your choice?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Kind Regards

G
Old 18 September 2006, 12:10 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Also if possible can anyone point me in the direction of a link or pass on the relevant information about service intervals and costs? I've heard services are every 10,000miles?

Oh and is the offset on wheels 45 and with a 5 stud fitment?

Thanks again!

G
Old 18 September 2006, 02:28 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicgreg
That was just what I was after corradoboy - Dave? Very much appreciated.

The car you recommended at the start (Steve's car) does seem immaculate, however, there only seems to be one downfall to it, its not black
I am after/will soon be after a black STI with PPP on somewhere around an 05 plate.
There is a black 05 STi for sale on here, i boinged it to the top earlier. (And you're right, be different, go for black, it's faster too! )

With regard to the exhaust system, I am not into having ridiculous sized tailpipes on my cars, however, does the standard BB from the prodrive system look a tad small in comparison to the size of the rear bumper? I could be wrong but it just seemed that way judging by the pictures I have viewed. So in that case a change of the BB maybe in order, dealer permitting of course. If the change in BB was possible, what BB would you be looking into that would give a grat noise and looks superb?
Exhaust is down to personal preference, and how noisy you want to be. An STi PPP drove past me a while back, didn't realise it was a scoob until much further up the road, very quiet. People will turn around before i get to them. (Afterbuner & Ninja BB). Whereas others like Blitz/Firestorm/Afterburner you'll here them coming from the next village. I have a 4.5" slash-cut tailpipe with the Ninja and it doesn't lOOk big on the car. IMO. Although i've seen people walk past and mention how big it is. I had a 5" one come on my GTi-R, on a small car like that, it seemed well out of place.

Its going to be reasonably difficult I should think, to determine if the PPP needs reflashing. I will be coming from a modified Honda Civic Type R which has 210bhp and then stepping into a car that has 100 more bhp, I can see me just being blown away by it. It might be best I think that when I do get the motor, meeting up with someone in the know and asking what they think if I take them out or whatever. Unless of course I think the car is pretty flat at 305bhp in which case I probably won't be getting that particular one.
You will get used to the power. And the standard STi i found quite tame after about 1 week. The PPP will be better, and the remap even better still.

The induction kit situation wasn't really for anything other than that nice induction note you get, thats all that I was after really. so it seems the way forward here is to just get a replacement filter as you suggested.
I changed the filter to a high-flow one as part of the 333-style upgrade, and now there is an induction noise, and slight wooosh on lift off. You may find that is ample. An induction kit is only needed after 350-or-so

I know what you are saying about OTT dump valves being chav, I just think I need one to get it out of my system and as I said if I hate it or after a while don't fancy it anymore I can easily get rid of it. So hypothetically speaking if you were in the market for one which would be your choice?
I've had VTA BOV's on the last 3 of my turbo'd motors. This STi is not seeing a VTA. I think it's something you want, but will get bored with. I know you'll either love it or hate it, marmite style.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:23 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Did you say you were after a black one

Oh yes you did, have a look here

https://www.scoobynet.com/05-sti-type-t544354.html

Another low mileage sti that is a blank canvous for you to modify as you desire, you cold even get PPP fitted and still have £2,000 left from your 20k budget.

By the way i do not know the seller but it's worth givig him a shout as opposed to buying one from a main dealer and paying 3K + over the odds.

The car looks mint but I am sure if you speak to the seller he will be able to answer any questions you have.

If it were me and my money I would go for something like the above and add PPP or similair reliable mods myself as opposed to getting ripped by the dealer.

TSL Motorsport have an excellent reputation for their tuning work and it's well worth investigating them as an option. For the same money as PPP that will give you 305 BHP you could have the TSL333 pack and achieve 333 bhp and 333 Ib/ft torque . Not only is the package a comparable price but from personal experience very reliable but also a lot better drive than sti plus PPP.

Don't make a rash decision and think you will be better off with a dealer, many of the cars on scoobynet are owned by enthusiasts who will be able to talk you through the cars history in implicit detail as opposed to a sales man who is paid and reasonable wage but wants to sell at the highest possible price.

If I were after a scoob again it would more likely than not be via Scoobynet and I would be asking about the seller via "Scoobynet general" discussions and also the car. Lets face it if your car is straight and you are a genuine person you should have nothing to hide .

Their are lots of reputable tuners beside PPP, ask the question of who is best and I can guarantee that TSL, Scoobyclinic and Powerstation will all receive rave reviews from people who have first hand experience.

As a an ex TSL333 owner I would highly recommend TSL, but by the same token Powerstation completed some work on my car and I cannot sing their praises highly enough!!

Regards

Paul
Old 18 September 2006, 04:26 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Cheers GazTheHat!! Again very useful.

Is there any chance that you have a few pics for me to have a look at, namely to see what your BB looks like? Also any sound clips would be superb so I can get an idea of what noise is produced by your exhaust/high air flow filter. If not can you point me in the direction where I could hear some combos like yours??

thanks for your help.

G
Old 18 September 2006, 04:30 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info there gingerboy. I'll look into things, all the info given and what you need to know is overwhelming in a good way though.

cheers

G
Old 18 September 2006, 04:43 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gingerboy
Did you say you were after a black one

Oh yes you did, have a look here

https://www.scoobynet.com/05-sti-type-t544354.html

Another low mileage sti that is a blank canvous for you to modify as you desire, you cold even get PPP fitted and still have £2,000 left from your 20k budget.
That's the one i was referring to.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:44 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

Sorry here is a link I meant to post earlier relating to the TSL333 conversion.

http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/news...0002&detail=45

It also features a review by none other than EVO magazine and their views on value for money, performance etc when compared with prodrives PPP package.

The best advice I can give is take your time and if you are unsure or need clarification of what something is relating to anything scoobie wise just ask on here.

Regards

GB
Old 18 September 2006, 04:47 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
That's the one i was referring to.
Blatant link on my behalf . I don't know the guy but it looks a hell of a lot of car for the money.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:48 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Cheers GazTheHat!! Again very useful.

Is there any chance that you have a few pics for me to have a look at, namely to see what your BB looks like? Also any sound clips would be superb so I can get an idea of what noise is produced by your exhaust/high air flow filter. If not can you point me in the direction where I could hear some combos like yours??

thanks for your help.

G
Tell you what, i'll take some pics tonight. But don't expect a polished tail-pipe I'm not that **** when cleaning. (In fact i pay others to clean it)

I'll also try some clips of the exhaust. Been meaning to do it for ages now anyway.

But in the meantime, try lOOking at:
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76
There are pics and sound clips on there too.

plug-plug, i will be selling my setup within the next 4/5 weeks if you're interested. Mind, you'll have to get a car first
Old 18 September 2006, 04:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Blatant link on my behalf . I don't know the guy but it looks a hell of a lot of car for the money.
That's what i was thinking. I'd be well tempted by that. Mine cost more than that a year ago.

There were no black ones around when i was lOOking this time last year. Had to pay a premium for the only black one, but it was well worth it. Now there's quite a few, but only see them in pics, not on the road.
Old 18 September 2006, 05:13 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Ive had my my53 sti with ppp for 14 months now and still loving it but Ive chaged a few things that has now got me to a car I really love!!

First thing to consider is do you want to keep most of your warranty? After that if the answer is no the world is your oyster. Having been to ScoobyClinic, WRC Technologies, Powerstaion, etc for various mods I can comment on what I believe has the most benefit to your PPP car.

First get the handling sorted. Get to Powerstation and get the Stage two or full T25 depending on if you have the cash. Do you have 18" rims and Prodrive springs? Then if you do the stage one may be enough.

Second improve your brakes. I went the full hog and got the AP Racing six pot calipers, 355 discs and Ferrodo pads. Again depending on cost. At least change the disc, pads and hoses for noticeable improvement.

Now with the handling sorted out. Get over to Scoobyclinic and get the full decat system on the car and a remap. Should see you good for a proven 320bhp+ and similar torque but you are now getting near to the limits of your car. You may want to consider the WRC Tech top mount intercooler for that extra safety margin and the cold air intake that will (with remapping release a good 10 - 20bhp) at this point you are at the top of a 'safe' daily driver. You may want to go to WRC then Scoobyclinic after or get it all from Scoobyclinic. I also got WRC to make my manual spray auto (using turbobits stuff) who wants to press that spray button when you are concentrating on driving). I also got Clinic to make an air duct to help with the air flow to the cold air feed. I think if I was to go the next stage it would mean new Turbo and front mount intercooler, etc and I think I would lose too much of the daily driver ability.

Something I also did which I though was one of my best pound for pound upgrades was fit 'Noisekiller' Subaru kit in the car. It reduces the noise but also lets you feel as if you've upgrades your suspension cause vibration is also filtered out quite a lot.

Anyway hope this helps
Old 18 September 2006, 09:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Glad to see someone else thinks handling is the best 1st upgrade. If he doesn't do it I'd have fun monstering him in my lowly WRX BHP It's all torque Get a grip
Old 19 September 2006, 01:27 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Glad to see someone else thinks handling is the best 1st upgrade. If he doesn't do it I'd have fun monstering him in my lowly WRX BHP It's all torque Get a grip
I thought you'd sold the wrx , or at least nearly anyway. Still no joy?

Corradoboy and Reano make a good point, but by the same token I don't think I could live with the on / off power delivery of a standard sti. But yes the handling is very important, you'd be amazed the difference just getting the tracking done properly by somebody like powerstation will make.

Go down the route of uprated shocks, ar bushes, anti lift kits etc etc and by all accounts you should be grinning from ear to ear. Then get the performance mods and you'll be laughing.

GB
Old 19 September 2006, 10:43 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I thought you'd sold the wrx
Yup :cry

Just awaiting the guy sorting his finance out and then I'll be behind the wheel of a fabulous dual control Corsa Design 1.2
Old 19 September 2006, 10:53 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Yup :cry

Just awaiting the guy sorting his finance out and then I'll be behind the wheel of a fabulous dual control Corsa Design 1.2
I know the feeling mate, but at the end of the day it's only a car - Trouble is that scoobies are so addictive that you hanker after them until ultimately you end up with another!!

Enjoy the Corsa, sounds very nice , careful with all that power through the front wheels. Becoming a driving instructor I presume.

Thread Hi-Jack, sorry.

GB
Old 19 September 2006, 11:08 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

ultimately you end up with another!!
Already looking Sorely tempted by the T25 in the FS section, but am fancying a Forester STi (330bhp + T25 handling pack).

BOT
Old 19 September 2006, 11:38 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy and Reano make a good point, but by the same token I don't think I could live with the on / off power delivery of a standard sti. But yes the handling is very important, you'd be amazed the difference just getting the tracking done properly by somebody like powerstation will make.
Yep, i agree with you on that one. I could live with the handling, but the on/off power is a bit of a pain.
Old 19 September 2006, 11:55 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Also if possible can anyone point me in the direction of a link or pass on the relevant information about service intervals and costs? I've heard services are every 10,000miles?

Oh and is the offset on wheels 45 and with a 5 stud fitment?

Thanks again!

G
Have a look at Rob's car (RLE)

https://www.scoobynet.com/td05-18g-v....html?t=519542

53 Plate Impreza WRX STi UK
AST's
TD05 turbo
3” exhaust
filter
fuel pump
Harvey headers/up-pipe
remap Andy F. (Tek3)

344bhp 320ft/lb - last week's RR figs - However boost problem which is being dealt with

The Car - without Decals now

Last edited by RMA26; 19 September 2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 19 September 2006, 12:00 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

Sorry here is a link I meant to post earlier relating to the TSL333 conversion.

http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/news...0002&detail=45

It also features a review by none other than EVO magazine and their views on value for money, performance etc when compared with prodrives PPP package.

The best advice I can give is take your time and if you are unsure or need clarification of what something is relating to anything scoobie wise just ask on here.

Regards

GB
I know someone who had this, didn't rate it - There are far better custom maps available than TSL's

Last edited by RMA26; 19 September 2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 19 September 2006, 04:52 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26
I know someone who had this, didn't rate it - There are far better custom maps available than TSL's
I appreciate your view and other peoples. At the end of the day the individual has to make an informed choice and as I pointed out the best thing he can do is ask if unsure.

Personally I thought the TSL conversion was superb and know that several others on SNET also do. But by the same token as you rightly point out their are other companies / individuals who can perform tuning / performance and handling mods including Andy F, Scoobyclinic, Powerstation etc etc.

It would be a boring world if we all chose the same products / mods and ultimately I'm sure if I had a scoob that had been tuned by AN-Other I would of been equally as pleased, possibly even more who knows (certainly not me until I get another scoob ).

Regards

GB
Old 19 September 2006, 08:40 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Think you pretty much covered off my spec RMA give or take a few bits.

I was quite disappointed with the car with the TSL 333 package. Fortunately I bought it with it on but certainly would not consider it if I had a base car and was starting to mod.

Without a doubt the AST's were my single best investment thus far. Might change once I get my niggling boost issues sorted..................
Old 20 September 2006, 09:55 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Think you pretty much covered off my spec RMA give or take a few bits.

I was quite disappointed with the car with the TSL 333 package. Fortunately I bought it with it on but certainly would not consider it if I had a base car and was starting to mod.

Without a doubt the AST's were my single best investment thus far. Might change once I get my niggling boost issues sorted..................
Sunday is always an option Rob......
Old 20 September 2006, 11:17 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Did realise that was your car rob. When lOOking around that's how i wanted my car to lOOk and go, now lOOk where we are!
Old 20 September 2006, 01:59 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Hi Gaz.......its destickered now so not quite as "in yer face". Still miss the graphics some days but prefer the stealth look tbh.

Your "present" will be in the post shortly mate. Need to grab a big jiffy of some description from work then I'll send it straight off.

We're getting there slowly...........a bit too bloody slow in my case lol!
Old 20 September 2006, 02:08 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Hi Gaz.......its destickered now so not quite as "in yer face". Still miss the graphics some days but prefer the stealth look tbh.

Your "present" will be in the post shortly mate. Need to grab a big jiffy of some description from work then I'll send it straight off.

We're getting there slowly...........a bit too bloody slow in my case lol!
Speedy Gonzalez!