Sponsored by:

decisions, decisions :)

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2006, 01:26 PM
gramps1970
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions, decisions :)

ok lets have some input as i really am not sure what to do i have 6k atm and was looking for a classic but a friend said if the worst happens and you end up needing an engine rebuild (3k roughly?) you will have spent around 9k and still have a classic albeit with a new motor. but if i top my loan up which has 1 payment left, and borrow say 6k i could get roughly an 02/03 wrx/sti with lots less mileage which hopefully will last me if driven and cared for properly

also there are other factors like depreciation to look at ? i notice p1's stay around the 10k mark but again they seem to have rebuild issues ?

i know nobody can tell me what i should do as i have to make my own mind up, but i would be greatfull for some input from you guys please
Old 15 September 2006, 01:31 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gramps1970
ok lets have some input as i really am not sure what to do i have 6k atm and was looking for a classic but a friend said if the worst happens and you end up needing an engine rebuild (3k roughly?) you will have spent around 9k and still have a classic albeit with a new motor. but if i top my loan up which has 1 payment left, and borrow say 6k i could get roughly an 02/03 wrx/sti with lots less mileage which hopefully will last me if driven and cared for properly

also there are other factors like depreciation to look at ? i notice p1's stay around the 10k mark but again they seem to have rebuild issues ?

i know nobody can tell me what i should do as i have to make my own mind up, but i would be greatfull for some input from you guys please

Engines can go on any car. If you find a well cared for classic and carry on looking after it, there is no reason it should need a rebuild.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:32 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Possibly a similar thing that happened to me Classic bought for 7k 3months old engine went pop, in total (including mods) i have spent 4.5k so it stands me at 11.5k - you could get a nice Bugeye for 10 and spend teh rest on Mods.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:34 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gramps1970

You can pick up a well looked after classic for 6K mate. I picked one up for 4 grand (p reg, full service history, 93k) and then spent a little more getting a newer classic (x reg, full service history, 80k).
Old 15 September 2006, 01:38 PM
gramps1970
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys, but just to make it clear, i know any engine can go and i know there are some mint classics, but in general the chances of a newer lower mileage car/engine lasting longer has got to be better
Old 15 September 2006, 01:48 PM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

You could buy my 52 plate STi7 Type UK with Prodrive Performance Pack.

Last edited by scottish_jim; 15 September 2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:51 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You should be able to find a minted classic, but be prepared to walk away from quite a few, or take a while to find one.

If comtemplating loaning more, than an 03 wrx/sti would be my choice. Wouldn't go for an 02 (bugeye - sorry those owners). There are some crazy deals on 03's in the for sale section at the minute. These have had the depreciation hit already, so shouldn't lose massive amounts more, but then we are talking Subaru.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:11 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

engines can go on any car, but lets be fair, a massive amount of classics have blown one way or another!! barely hear of any bugeye onwards going??? not heard of hardly any evos going pop???? If you can stretch for a bugeye sti then go for it over a classic imo.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:55 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

To be honest I don't recall many classic engines going pop when they were 2-3 years old.
Old 18 September 2006, 12:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AC-scoobie
To be honest I don't recall many classic engines going pop when they were 2-3 years old.
My '96 classic was 18 months old and the engine let go!!

£4000 cherr-ching to fix.

Damn induction kit and no subseqent remap....... I now know and understand the remapping importance....the hard way.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've just purchased a very tidy my00 w reg for 1.5k, albeit with a blown engine. It's at API at the moment waiting for a transplant. I should imagine total cost will be about 4.5k with a new clutch etc.

Then hopefully I'll have a very reliable car with a warranted rebuild from a reputable garage. I looked at several classics and was put off by missing history and poor paintwork etc. Most classics around MY00 (UK turbos), even the higher priced ones, are *really* for sale at around 5-6k, anyone asking for more is in dreamland unless it's done very tiny mileage with excessive history.

I was put off a bit reliability engine wise on classics, so all in I think I've done the right thing. I'm not a fan at all of new age shapes, and any newage worth around 6k won't make me excited in the least.
Old 18 September 2006, 04:44 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When going for my classic there were a few criteria

-6 months warranty minimum from a dealer
-Condition and FSH
-No mods whatsoever - completely original UK spec.

Obviously there is no sure fire protection against something going seriously wrong with the car, but you can lengthen those odds.
Old 18 September 2006, 07:49 PM
s3emo123
Scooby Regular

Its a matter of taste go with what you like i could have had a nice new-age for what i have spent on my classic i have had both but their is just something about driving the classic you just don't have with the new-age cannot put my finger on it but i would dive both before committing to one or the other