Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing from Coilovers to "standard" suspension,Which ones ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2006, 07:46 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing from Coilovers to "standard" suspension,Which ones ?

To go for, i mean, the coilovers are bloody hard and i want a softer ride yet i dont want a wallowing walruss as well, so which setup would be good to go for, i would be getting 2nd hand struts/springs, so no £500 kits, all i need to know id which model of car, STI, P1 etc or certain makes of spring to avoid.

Upto what yr of struts fit a classic, i take it my01 onwards wouldnt be any good ?!?!?!

cheers ears........
Old 13 September 2006, 07:52 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO:
Go for the Sti of the year your car is. Fit everything except the rear roll bar.
If a classic fit a Whiteline 22mm adjustable, if a New Age a 24mm rear.
Get the car properly aligned by , say, Powerstation (Curtis or Andy note) and the car will be great. Taut and not lardy at all but very compliant.
Even your wife/mistress/mum will like it.

Graham
Old 13 September 2006, 07:54 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers,its the missus part i need to get right, as at the minute ,she will not get in it as her,well, jubblies have a dance all over the place.
And my neck hurts after driving home each night.

cheers.....
Old 13 September 2006, 08:10 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don t mean to invade the thread but i was thinking of doing the same thing as i have AVO coilovers on mine and i think that they are way too harsh even on the softest setting. ive tried lots of different settings and also have the advantage of a 4 wheel laser alignment machine at work, but just can t seem to get the right balance as the back end always seems to skip, especially on rounabouts but it does have a standard rear rollbar with uprated drop links, any ideas ? obviously not too expensive or is the original Sti set up the best option as i still have the original shocks and springs, but i do like that lowered look.
Old 13 September 2006, 08:17 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
To go for, i mean, the coilovers are bloody hard and i want a softer ride yet i dont want a wallowing walruss as well, so which setup would be good to go for, i would be getting 2nd hand struts/springs, so no £500 kits, all i need to know id which model of car, STI, P1 etc or certain makes of spring to avoid.

Upto what yr of struts fit a classic, i take it my01 onwards wouldnt be any good ?!?!?!

cheers ears........
What year is yours?

Personally I'd get the struts off the same MY Car.

I found Eibachs springs on the UK Classic a good compromise between handling, ride hieght and Comfort. But also can recommend the Prodrive Handling Pack.

P1 suspension IIRC has PHP(Spring kit) which is also another option for a lower and lightly firmer ride than UK suspension.

JDM Springs are quite firm and can make your fillings drop out on the ****e Roads around our way but nothing wrong with suspension. You'd just need to get PHP or Eibachs

Have you got already got uprated ARB's?

IMHO

Tony
Old 13 September 2006, 08:25 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've got a set of Prodrive Bilsteins on mine with TSL springs (similar to Eibachs) they've been an excellent improvement over standard without compromising dramatically on comfort. My car has now moved from being daily commuter to a weekend toy & hence I'm looking for something a bit more unsociable .........so if anyone wants to do a p/x..................

D
Old 13 September 2006, 09:13 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Mines an MY95 WRX.

I thought i could live with the very firm ride, but the bumpy roads round here are too much now.

cheers for replies.....
Old 13 September 2006, 09:19 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

i might be intrested in doing a swap ive got coil overs and my misses hates them its much too hard my eyes were bigger than my belly i saw them on the shelf at api and wanted them theve only been on the car 8 months great for handling sh*t for motorways let me know.
Old 13 September 2006, 09:25 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Likewise

I've got MY95 RA but it has firm but non standard uprated suspension (can't put a name to it sorry) but as mine is a week-end tool looking to get even further uprated suspension

Hardness not an issue - what type coilovers?
Old 13 September 2006, 09:36 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Daz,
Would be interested to know the spec. Please PM me.

D
Old 13 September 2006, 10:04 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig

cheers ears........
what car is it? if its a blob eye, ill swap my struts with tien springs for your coilovers
pm me
Old 13 September 2006, 10:11 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

ive got a 99 type r the coil overs are gold cusco so ive been told they are the ones that david at api has on the shelf he gave me the choice when i bought the car 8 months ago.
Old 13 September 2006, 10:21 PM
Scooby Regular

In my experience AVO's are very poor quality.

If any of you want a smooth compliant controlled ride with quality then simply by AST one way adjustable coil-overs from Powerstation with40/30 or 50/40 springs

They will tune in very well (had them after the crap AVO's.)

However; they are still 'focused' units, and this is why I say use the same year Sti units and add Eibach 20mm lower springs at the same time. Always have a first class alignment done after!
Graham
Old 13 September 2006, 10:37 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

After having Jic magic coilovers on my sti ra,i was very dubious about having coilovers fitted again......but have to say powerstations ast coilovers with 50/40 springs and there geometry totally transformed the car...

l
Old 13 September 2006, 11:01 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
what car is it? if its a blob eye, ill swap my struts with tien springs for your coilovers
pm me
not a blob eye,classic im afraid
Old 13 September 2006, 11:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Seen these

full set of STi - Prodrive / Bilstein Oil/Gas suspension as removed from a 1997 WRX STi. These are in vgc with no oil leaks. They have Eibach springs fitted which I have had measured at 150 Lb front and 114 Lb rear. These I understand were original fitment on these shocks. The middle piston rod measures 40mm in diametre and the car is lowered by approx 30mm with these fitted. They fit the standard top mounts and are a fairly easy upgrade over the standard shocks without the complexity of adjustable coilovers. These shocks are rebuildable should the need arise.

Top mounts, are these universal,as i have coilovers, i dont have the top mounts that will fit them,right, so if i found,say,a legacy at my local scrappy,would these top mounts do ?
Old 13 September 2006, 11:26 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooferman
After having Jic magic coilovers on my sti ra,i was very dubious about having coilovers fitted again......but have to say powerstations ast coilovers with 50/40 springs and there geometry totally transformed the car...

l
I can second that. The ASTs with 50/40 springs provide incredible handling, but are compliant enough for even the bumpiest Cumbrian roads (and **** me, the roads here are sh1te). Even my 68yr old aunty commented on what a good ride quality the scoob has
Old 15 September 2006, 07:03 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

What is a 2nd hand complete set of shocks/springs off an STI 1997 worth then without topmounts ?
Old 15 September 2006, 04:42 PM
Scooby Regular

I have seen those Sti units and they would do you well.
Are you sure they are without top mounts?

I would think you can get a set of Sti mounts for £100 used.
I would offer up to £300 for the suspension.

Graham.
Old 15 September 2006, 04:46 PM
silver6933
Scooby Regular

Have you ridden in a group 4 car. You can get softer springs as an option.