New STI PPP MY06

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2006, 08:27 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New STI PPP MY06

Evening All….

Picked up my new STI PPP MY06 today. With the recent negative comments about this car, the problems that some have had, and the news that Subaru are not doing well (and the MY06 STI is loosing money), I thought I would post my initial views.

I come from a MY04 WRX PPP that I part exchanged for this new car. This was my first WRX and loved it to bits.

I decided to upgrade to a new STI PPP Type UK - simply because I wanted to try something new and see what the ‘fuss was all about’. I like cars but I am not ‘in to’ cars. Therefore I went via the UK PPP route (so no JDM / non-warranty remap for me). Actually I’m not sure what I would have gained from that route – sure another 20-40 BHP for a PowerStation remap – but stick another person in a remapped car (i.e. add another 70-80 KG) and the advantage is minimal (compared to one person in mine). Also I’m an average driver and the STI PPP has all the power I would ever wish to handle …

Anyway to the car ….

I have a couple of pics but you know what it looks like anyway. I chose black and the gold wheels. It looks a real mean little ******* – nice. I had the PPP installed from new rather than at the 1000 mile service (simply because I can not afford to loose the car for the day). Need to keep to <4000 rpm for a 1000 miles – no worries. The child seat is now fitted – ISOFIX (about as important as any other spec as far as I am concerned).

First impression – fantastic – and that’s just up to 4000 RPM. The 2.5 engine is a dream; so much torque from so low down.

Anyone worried about not having the Scooby throb? The PPP solves this – it’s better than the MY04 WRX ever was. It’s not too loud but MUCH more obvious (and I thought the MY06 2.5 engine had lost all its character?). Can’t wait until the 1000 mile service and I can really let it go…

The interior is good – ok so already after one day there is a little rattle from the back, what do I expect – it’s not a BMW (heaven forbid!).

Overall after one day this is still the right choice for me. OK so it will loose value. But to be blunt about it - I can afford it (if I could not I would have bought something else). These cars and not design for those that want to watch what they spend …

More over the next few days ..

Cheers

Mark
Old 01 September 2006, 08:33 PM
Bil
Scooby Regular

the car is very very silent without PPP, at idle car the car feels like it is switched off!!!

im glad u got a ppp done - customer satisfaction

at least somsones happy and postive!
thanks for your comments
Old 01 September 2006, 08:49 PM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate

Sounds wicked, would love to drive a 2.5 just to see what the dif is
Old 01 September 2006, 08:49 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Check the roof lining at the back... thats where my rattle is (still gotta get the dealer to fix).

Apparently their are several skins under there which can come free of eachother and just need tighting back together.

Glad your happy, i almost went for the new shape.. but instead got a Blob on an 06, same interior as the 'hawk' and the shape of preference for me. (although i must admit the new shape is growing on me)

have fun, thats the main thing...
Old 01 September 2006, 10:04 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark

Glad you like your new car.

If you had bought a new JDM spec model it would have indeed come with a warranty. Technically the JDM versions are of a higher spec than their EU/UK counterparts, but since your "not into cars", you may not fully appreciate the differences.

Come what may, enjoy your new car.
Old 01 September 2006, 10:26 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

The loss of burble was my only criticism of the new STI!

I've since put on a TSL deresonator pipe and prodrive back box and it sounds amazing!! A real deep burble at idle and when you plant the size 11 - perfect!

The resonator on the new STI's is huge! No wonder it supressess that lovely Scooby burble!!!

I've driven the PPP version and was very impressed! It's not just the extra power, but the way it delivers it over the standard car, it's spot on!
Old 01 September 2006, 10:52 PM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

Like you Mark I came from a 04 WRX PPP to a 06 STI PPP have done over 14k in mine now and very impressed. Only problem I have had is the dreaded shock absorber rattle from the near side rear, had both shockers changed by dealer with modified ones, rattle now gone and goes like a dream One other point is the STI is much more economical than the WRX with an average of 26mpg over the 14k I have done
Old 02 September 2006, 06:27 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Smile chug chug chug ..

thanks all...

I was really gearing myself up for something that sounded calmer than my WRX PPP - the new STI PPP is totally different - but its difficult to describe. If you stand at the side of the car towards the back the chug chug is clear as anything - its kinda 'slow' and much more pronounced then the WRX. Far from loosing the Scoob noise I would say its better then its ever been (for new age, with PPP and without going to extremes!). Its almost as if the new 2.5 engine has bigger lungs and blows harder?!

As you move to the back of the car there is a point where it almost disappears before returning if you stand behind the exhaust - must be some funny acoustics going on there somewhere?

To my mind this is how it should be for me - it’s not 'in your face' (to old for all that).

I have yet to drive it to full potential - but since there is plenty of fun up to 4000RPM I am looking forward to releasing the rest in about 4 weeks time.

I'm not sure how the MY06/MY07 will remembered in a few years time but I really think they 'probably' represent the last of a breed. Yes - there is talk of the MY08 hatchback model but I personally think (and remember I'm not into cars so I might be talking bull) that later models are going to be less hard core in terms of how they go and what they look like. I would imagine that Subaru need to build more cars for the masses and I'm not sure that producing a next generation STi will do it for them?

Perhaps the Ford Focus ST is the way to go??

But ...it’s just not the same (I know having driven one). I think when you buy a Scoob (or lets face it an EVO) you know where your money has gone - at least 50% (or more?) on the engineering which dictates its performance and handling. It’s not a car that was made for the masses and then adjusted to produce a 'ST'.

Anyway a few long drives today (its about the only car I know where you can sit and write a list of excuses to pop out for a drive )

Mark
Old 02 September 2006, 09:30 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading, as I am about to pick up a black sti, but have left it standard until the 1000 mile service, and then i'll make a decision. I'm coming from a 54 plate wrx, so the power difference, even on a standard sti was unbeleivable. The only thing the wrx has is a prodrive rear box so i will miss the noise, which makes me think I'll ppp the new one at some stage.
Glad you're pleased with it though. Any pics?